All-Time Draft #10, Part 4

AlanHoff

Sep 26, 2008
Just posted my lineup in the assasination thread if anyone is bored and wants something new to look at...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Had a feeling you'd go with Hyland. Good pick.
Thanks. :)

And to think I wasn't sure back in the 9th round who I'd prefer picking up later between Foyston (went 11th round), Dunderdale (went 19th round) or Hyland (still was available). All three are rounds 9-14 material imo.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Thanks. :)

And to think I wasn't sure back in the 9th round who I'd prefer picking up later between Foyston (went 11th round), Dunderdale (went 19th round) or Hyland (still was available). All three are rounds 9-14 material imo.

I'm giving serious thought to Dunderdale as a 2nd line center in ATD 11, more I read, the more I like. Hyland is another one of the guys I had on my shortlist when I took Bondra, that pick had so much humming and hawing.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hyland is another one of the guys I had on my shortlist when I took Bondra, that pick had so much humming and hawing.
And Bondra was on my list of possible candidates to be a speedy goal scorer on Beliveau's right side. ;)

The all-Montreal first line of the Nighthawks: Joliat-Beliveau-Hyland :yo:

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select a a 6 time PCHA all-star and Art Duncan's long time defense partner

Lloyd Cook

Lloyd Cook started with Vancouver in 1915 where he was trained as a defence man by the old masters Si Griffis and Frank Patrick. He did very well indeed and when Griffis broke his leg at the close of the season, Cook took his place in the Cup finals when the Millionaires defeated Ottawa.

When the Victoria franchise was transferred to Spokane in 1917, Frank Patrick shuffled some of the players to try and strengthen the Canaries. Cook was sent to Spokane where he played rover but the team received poor support. He returned to Vancouver to be joined by Art Duncan and for the next seven years this duo was the regular defence.

Lloyd Cook was an excellent stickhandler and scored more goals in the coast league than any other defence player.
- The Trail of the Stanley Cup Vol. 1

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select a a 6 time PCHA all-star and Art Duncan's long time defense partner... Lloyd Cook
:clap: even though not a HHOFer, a guy who fits your team concept; for a blueline which began late, the Devils has a pretty good group of six:

Moose Johnson - Harry Cameron
Eddie Gerard - Edward Ivanov
Art Duncan (A) - Lloyd Cook

Five guys who played in the PCHL or NHA and a Soviet, where the value was!

Look at the chemistry.

The long stick of Moose alongside the curved shot of Harry, the Ragulin-like tower of strength of Eddie alongside the warrior Edward, and the longtime third pairing duo.

There's a well-thought-out beauty to it. Bravo!

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Weeeeeeell, it's Whipper.

After someone drafted Martin St Louis, GBC said there was still a scoring winger more talented available, and I'm fairly certain this is him. (there's only one other guy who it could be). I'm a fan of Kenny Wharram, and I tried hard to make him fit on my lines and in my team strategy 2 picks ago, but just couldn't do it. Quick, tough, good hockey sense and skills. In a 32-team draft (with 8 more scoring RW's required), he would have been chosen 150+ picks ago.

Don't know about GBC but he was definitely the guy I was alluding to. I was going to take for the past 3 rounds or so just because of the value but that would have involved playing him on the 2nd line and moving Taylor to the 3rd and wanted some defensive presence and corner play to go with Hooley and Malone. Hell I was going to take him as a 13th forward last round.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I won't be around much today or tonight. Who can I send my list to, and paper's list to?

Some very good selections for the third and fourth lines. Wharram's terrific. He usually goes a few rounds earlier, and the mid-rounds are where he belongs. Talented enough to play on a second line, or thrive on a third scoring line, good enough defensively to play on a defensive-minded line.

I'm a huge Thomas Steen fan. I've been a big fan of his for about 20 years. Good two-way centre who played a solid, physical game.

Pit Martin will compliment Kovalchuk well. He'll get Kovalchuk the puck, he'll backcheck, he'll work hard, he'll execute the give-and-go. Whether he can keep the moody Kovalchuk in check off the ice is another question, but on the ice, they should mesh.

Will Hajt be partnered with Ozolinsh? If he is, that will be Hajt's greatest challenge. Facing Lafleur or Middleton on a 1-on-1 will be a breeze compared to covering up Ozo's defensive blunders.

That ultra-talented player I alluded to is still available. But there's actually one who was picked in this group who has a fantastic skill level: Pierre Turgeon. Say what you will about him, and Lord knows I've said lots of thing about that chronic under-achiever, but the guy has a fantastic skill level. When he was on, he was one of the best I've ever seen at slowing the game down to his pace. When he wanted to be great, when he was willing to do what it took to be great, he was a marvel to watch. Should have been a centre of the Savard/Hawerchuk calibre, but he didn't have what it took to be a centre of that order.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
We had pegged Dunderdale as the 4th C since day one - and he pretty much had the style needed to play on a 4th - well, an offensive/grinding 4th.

He can play higher than 4th C in a pinch for sure, something we had to consider. Still picked him 100 spots higher than he ever went. As to which round he should go... As a guy who likes Dunderdale, I would be reluctant to pick him over Duke Keats (Keats prime had higher competition level than Dunderdale's prime, Dunderdale had awesome longevity going for him), but all in all, he's much better than the 508th best player ever for sure.

Our 3 (take away Lemieux) C's can play higher on the depth chart than they are right now (I think I'll need to convince people that Phil Watson can be a 2nd liner in a pinch, but since he would be a better fit than Dunderdale on a defensive line, I'm not sure Watson will go up the depth chart during the analysis of the repercussions of Lemieux's mandatory injury), and we have a pretty decent 4th C playing wing on the third line (Holik). We'll finish covering every possible injury/suspensions combo sooner or later.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
I will not be around today and thus not able to take any lists unfortunately. Tis my b-day and I plan on not being able to draft well so hopefully my pick doesn't come up.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I will not be around today and thus not able to take any lists unfortunately. Tis my b-day and I plan on not being able to draft well so hopefully my pick doesn't come up.
If your pick comes up today, pwner, we'll have done something really well. And have a happy birthday. May your all-ins prove successful.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Alert : Any similarities between ATD10's Victoria Secrets and ATD8 New Jersey Devils as far the Top-6 is concerned is purely random.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
539, Dallas Blackhawks, D Calle Johansson

A very, very underrated defenseman to fill in during Al Iafrate's mandatory injuries / periods of awful play. Consistently good on the puck and off, should be a low-risk, low-reward guy as a bottom pairing, puck-moving defenseman who can play the 4th point spot on the powerplay as well.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
LW - Ross Lonsberry
lonsberry.jpg

Legends of Hockey said:
As a professional, Lonsberry would adopt a more low-profile style of play where he poured all of his energies into playing a two-way style game, moving up and down his wing.

He brought his strong playmaking skills to a line with Rick MacLeish and Gary Dornhoefer. He also developed excellent checking skills and efficient ability to work the corners. During the club's Stanley Cup success in 1974 and 1975, he was considered to have been the great, unsung hero of their championship days. It has been said that although Bobby Clarke led the team, Lonsberry typified it.

* NHL All-Star Game (1972)
* Stanley Cup (1974, 1975)

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Will Hajt be partnered with Ozolinsh? If he is, that will be Hajt's greatest challenge. Facing Lafleur or Middleton on a 1-on-1 will be a breeze compared to covering up Ozo's defensive blunders.

It will likely use Ozolinsh as my #7 defenseman. He will be in the press box unless I want additional speed or PP scoring.

I'm pleased to reunite George Hay with his centre, Dick Irvin, on my 3rd line. He has enough scoring ability to earn a spot on any team's second line... still, his work ethic, ability to play an aggressive but clean game, and speed & positioning that will make him successful on the third line.

coach Jack Adams said:
I've seen a lot of good ones, but none who had more stuff than George. He was in a class with Aurial Joliat, Jack Walker, Bun Cook or Harvey Jackson. He could do everything, that fellow. Besides, he was one of the easiest players to handle I ever had -- always in condition, always on the job, always willing to play any position. He never got into any trouble on the ice and was rarely sent to the penalty box.

sportswriter Sam Green said:
He ranked with the great forwards of the game, combining speed and poise, aggressiveness and finesse, with unsurpassed mechanical ability.

George Hay's career timeline:
1922: WCHL first-team all-star, 5th in goals, 3rd in assists, 4th in scoring
1923: WCHL first-team all-star, 2nd in goals, 3rd in points
1924: WCHL first-team all-star, 3rd in goals, 3rd in points
1926: WHL first-team all-star, 5th in goals, 5th in points
1927: top ten in assists (NHL)
1928: 4th in Hart voting (highest-ranked LW), 3rd in points & assists, 5th in goals (NHL)
1929: top ten in assists & points (NHL)

I should be around for most of the day. Send your lists here.

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
That ultra-talented player I alluded to is still available. But there's actually one who was picked in this group who has a fantastic skill level: Pierre Turgeon. Say what you will about him, and Lord knows I've said lots of thing about that chronic under-achiever, but the guy has a fantastic skill level. When he was on, he was one of the best I've ever seen at slowing the game down to his pace. When he wanted to be great, when he was willing to do what it took to be great, he was a marvel to watch. Should have been a centre of the Savard/Hawerchuk calibre, but he didn't have what it took to be a centre of that order.

Ok, I think I know who it is. Another guy falling because of a ****ty name, right?:D

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
If my pick happens to come up this afternoon, just skip it and I'll make it up when I get back. I have a ton of running around to do today and can't decide yet on my next pick

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Love the Lonsberry pick. One guy I've always wanted to get. I think he was No. 2 on our list for fourth-line LWers, and we love what he brings to the fourth line, but you can't pass on Keith Tkachuk to pick Ross Lonsberry.

Johansson was underrated throughout his career. I think he would have received a lot more respect if he would have played O6, and people saw him play 14 times a year. An all-star at the 96 World Cup. Washington's defensive play was always terrific throughout the 90s, and that was largely due to Johansson's presence.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm pleased to reunite George Hay with his centre, Dick Irvin, on my 3rd line.
:thumbu: Just like the third line of the Kingston RMC Paladins of ATD9:

George Hay - Dick Irvin, Sr. (A) - Tony Leswick

cottonking said:
Calle Johansson... a very, very underrated defenseman to fill in during Al Iafrate's mandatory injuries / periods of awful play.
Lock him into the #6 slot I say, he not at all underrated by us longtime Caps fans. Iafrate was made for the #7 slot in an all-time context imo.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Weeeeeeell, it's Whipper.

After someone drafted Martin St Louis, GBC said there was still a scoring winger more talented available, and I'm fairly certain this is him. (there's only one other guy who it could be). I'm a fan of Kenny Wharram, and I tried hard to make him fit on my lines and in my team strategy 2 picks ago, but just couldn't do it. Quick, tough, good hockey sense and skills. In a 32-team draft (with 8 more scoring RW's required), he would have been chosen 150+ picks ago.

-It was Kovalev being drafted that sparked this discussion. My St. Louis pick came right after.

-Wharram is great, but not tough. You are right that he slipped pretty far.

-Wharram is not the guy GBC was thinking of, although he was one of the three guys I guessed. (one of my three guesses was right)

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Wharram is a fantastic pick. ES and I discussed him along with Mosienko and Vaive way back when as options for second line RW.

Happy Birthday man.

539, Dallas Blackhawks, D Calle Johansson

A very, very underrated defenseman to fill in during Al Iafrate's mandatory injuries / periods of awful play. Consistently good on the puck and off, should be a low-risk, low-reward guy as a bottom pairing, puck-moving defenseman who can play the 4th point spot on the powerplay as well.

LW - Ross Lonsberry
lonsberry.jpg

* NHL All-Star Game (1972)
* Stanley Cup (1974, 1975)

Two solid picks that haven't been mentioned really. Johansson was one of my top picks for 7th defensmen, while I almost took Lonsberry ahead of Corson.

Thanks for making our selections, btw VanI.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Nice picks, I thought about taking both Berenson and Hay to play with Larionov and have a defensive 4th line but decided to make the 3rd line more of a defensive line and the 4th an I-don't-quite-know-what line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad