GDT: All things free agent frenzy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We've got Scheifele, Dubois, Lowry and it should be David Gustafsson given the chance this year at 4C.
Since there was interest for Foegele for Stanley. Was thinking we’d also throw in Derek Ryan as a 4C/4RW option for you guys. Would that make any sense?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Since there was interest for Foegele for Stanley. Was thinking we’d also throw in Derek Ryan as a 4C/4RW option for you guys. Would that make any sense?

Probably not, the team has a lot of fringe 4th line wingers and prospects. Foegele might be a serviceable 3rd line option but I don't see the need for Ryan when there are players like Toninato on the roster, Reichel, Harkins, Barron, etc etc.

Not that those guys are better than Ryan necessarily but I don't think he's $500k better. I'd rather play the kids and Toninato and see what's there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Probably not, the team has a lot of fringe 4th line wingers and prospects. Foegele might be a serviceable 3rd line option but I don't see the need for Ryan when there are players like Toninato on the roster, Reichel, Harkins, Barron, etc etc.

Not that those guys are better than Ryan necessarily but I don't think he's $500k better. I'd rather play the kids and Toninato and see what's there.
Okay that makes sense. If you got kids that need some oppurtunity the 4th line provides spots for that.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Not with Maurice, it didn't. See if Bowness is any different. Anyone know what he ran for 4th lines in Dallas?

Not sure if this helps, but if you look at minutes played...

Dallas had 3 players with more than 10 games played with an average of under 10 minutes per game.
Dallas had 2 players with more than 20 games played with an average of under 10 minutes per game.

Winnipeg had 6 players with more than 10 games played with an average of under 10 minutes per game.
Winnipeg had 3 players with more than 20 games played with an average of under 10 minutes per game.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Indeed. Their third line was akin to our third line in 2018. They were winning matchups handedly.
I don't know if anyone has watched the playoffs recently but I think going back to our first playoff appearance the only line that was winning matchups regularly was Lowry's. Other than the St. Louis series, and I am not even sure about that one, and Vegas, Lowry has been one of the most consistent centres for the Jets in either winning or neutralizing matchups. I'm not worried about him. Still underappreciated in my opinion, as a heart and soul player, who wins his fair share of battles.

Reactions: ERYX

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The 4th line was where he hid his "special teams" players that couldn't play actual hockey for 5 minutes a night. Such f***ing ass.
Problem was that he only had one 4th liner who contributed to special teams last year Toninato. Harkins, Vesalainen, Svetchnikov were not contributors to any extra minutes, which is why the year prior with Perreault-Thompson-Lewis all having roles,and not getting scored on 5 on 5, the minutes were up. I expect some change this year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Some Jets fans entertained a Foegele for Stanley trade. We could also do Foegle+Ryan for Stanley if that makes any sense for your bottom 6 upgrading.
You should take these proposals to the main boards. Honestly the Jets management would be dumb as can be to alleviate another competing teams cap problems by giving away prospective players, at good salaries, for Cap Hits that exceed output. Probably a chance one of those two players becomes available through waivers if the Cap becomes a constraint for the Oil.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You should take these proposals to the main boards. Honestly the Jets management would be dumb as can be to alleviate another competing teams cap problems by giving away prospective players, at good salaries, for Cap Hits that exceed output. Probably a chance one of those two players becomes available through waivers if the Cap becomes a constraint for the Oil.
Well I appreciate the inputs of Jets fans that actually know the ins and outs of the needs/wants of the Jets as opposed to the trolls and haters on the main boards which shit on any proposal for the lols, which is why i proposed it here.

The thing is the Oilers don’t really have that big of a cap problem. Holland stated on record he’s fine with the roster we have and fine running a 21/22 roster in these flat cap years. Its why he hasn’t needed to ship off Pool at a loss even those he’s been inconsistent for us and frankly a bit expensive now.

I offered Foegele not just for cap flex but I think it’s a win-win. Jets seem to want to upgrade their bottom 6 but haven’t had luck in free agency, Jets also seem to have a log jam at LHD with Heinola and Samberg. Yes, you’d help us with our cap a bit but it’s not like you aren’t getting something in return. Unless you don’t like Foegele at all, i like him he has above average NHL size and speed and is one of the better bottom 6 guys we’ve had in the last 5 years.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well I appreciate the inputs of Jets fans that actually know the ins and outs of the needs/wants of the Jets as opposed to the trolls and haters on the main boards which shit on any proposal for the lols, which is why i proposed it here.

The thing is the Oilers don’t really have that big of a cap problem. Holland stated on record he’s fine with the roster we have and fine running a 21/22 roster in these flat cap years. Its why he hasn’t needed to ship off Pool at a loss even those he’s been inconsistent for us and frankly a bit expensive now.

I offered Foegele not just for cap flex but I think it’s a win-win. Jets seem to want to upgrade their bottom 6 but haven’t had luck in free agency, Jets also seem to have a log jam at LHD with Heinola and Samberg. Yes, you’d help us with our cap a bit but it’s not like you aren’t getting something in return. Unless you don’t like Foegele at all, i like him he has above average NHL size and speed and is one of the better bottom 6 guys we’ve had in the last 5 years.
The Oilers are absolutely screwed right now with the Cap. Even with over $6 million in LTIR coming up, there's no manoeuvrability, and it's still possible Puljaarvi gets moved as a consequence. Something has to give, as it stands there isn't enough money to cover Mc Leod's salary and make it under the Cap. That Darnell Nurse contract is going to hurt long term, unless he really steps up his game. Getting Foegele for Bear was good trade for the Oilers, because Bear had an awful series against us, whereas Stanley was strong for us.

I don't think the Jets having a depth problem is a problem, because it's ELC depth, which is the best kind. Somebody might have to ride the bus for one more year, but the Jets have trade chips for players they want.

I have next to 0 interest in Foegele. The objective for the Jets is not to help the Oilers, because I want the Oilers to have a weaker roster as a result of their management and spending, in the case that WC1 or WC2 comes down to the rosters we have comparatively or the Cap space needed to improve. Any deal that takes on an extra $1.8 million in salary as a difference, or $2.75 million as whole, from your team better come with a high draft pick as a thank you note. That's the business of the game, in my opinion.

I'd take Foegele and a 2nd round pick for Leon Gawanke and Kristian Vesalainen. Otherwise Ken Holland is going to have to make a hockey trade, and I don't think you'll see a big market for Foegele, especially with the goal of shedding salary, which is the primary problem for many teams this offseason.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Oilers are absolutely screwed right now with the Cap. Even with over $6 million in LTIR coming up, there's no manoeuvrability, and it's still possible Puljaarvi gets moved as a consequence. Something has to give, as it stands there isn't enough money to cover Mc Leod's salary and make it under the Cap. That Darnell Nurse contract is going to hurt long term, unless he really steps up his game. Getting Foegele for Bear was good trade for the Oilers, because Bear had an awful series against us, whereas Stanley was strong for us.

I don't think the Jets having a depth problem is a problem, because it's ELC depth, which is the best kind. Somebody might have to ride the bus for one more year, but the Jets have trade chips for players they want.

I have next to 0 interest in Foegele. The objective for the Jets is not to help the Oilers, because I want the Oilers to have a weaker roster as a result of their management and spending, in the case that WC1 or WC2 comes down to the rosters we have comparatively or the Cap space needed to improve. Any deal that takes on an extra $1.8 million in salary as a difference, or $2.75 million as whole, from your team better come with a high draft pick as a thank you note. That's the business of the game, in my opinion.

I'd take Foegele and a 2nd round pick for Leon Gawanke and Kristian Vesalainen. Otherwise Ken Holland is going to have to make a hockey trade, and I don't think you'll see a big market for Foegele, especially with the goal of shedding salary, which is the primary problem for many teams this offseason.

Oilers are up against the cap but it’s really not that bad. We are going into this season better than we did last season. Holland has already stated he’s fine with the roster as it is and that we will be keeping Pulju, so no he won’t be a cap casualty. McCleod has zero arb rights so he signs for 1M. An savings of 1.5M fixes our entire cap “issue”. We already shipped out 3.2M in Cap in a much worse player in Kassian. We’ll be fine only having to deal with 1.5M.

Trades are usually done as a win-win in this League not to screw over 1 out of 32 teams that’s not even a divisional rival. If you don’t see value in Foegele it’s not a win for you personally, other Jets fans may view that differently though.

Trades also take into account not just money in versus money out. Player valuations are involved as well. As an extreme example, if we shipped you McDavid and his 12.5M Cap for Stanley’s 900K are you asking for 5 1st round picks to make up the 11.6M difference?

I don’t know those prospects and would have to look into them. But on the surface it seems like you are saying Foegele+2nd for a pair of B prospects? I’d have to look into them. The thing with Stanley though, is that like the Jets there’s not even a a guarantee he makes the lineup. Depending on how preseason and camp goes Broberg might win the job and Stanley ends up as a #7 for us just like that’s a possibility with the Jets. So two B prospects that might not see a game seems close to the same type of deal anyways.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Oilers are up against the cap but it’s really not that bad. We are going into this season better than we did last season. Holland has already stated he’s fine with the roster as it is and that we will be keeping Pulju, so no he won’t be a cap casualty. McCleod has zero arb rights so he signs for 1M. An savings of 1.5M fixes our entire cap “issue”. We already shipped out 3.2M in Cap in a much worse player in Kassian. We’ll be fine only having to deal with 1.5M.

Trades are usually done as a win-win in this League not to screw over 1 out of 32 teams that’s not even a divisional rival. If you don’t see value in Foegele it’s not a win for you personally, other Jets fans may view that differently though.

Trades also take into account not just money in versus money out. Player valuations are involved as well. As an extreme example, if we shipped you McDavid and his 12.5M Cap for Stanley’s 900K are you asking for 5 1st round picks to make up the 11.6M difference?

I don’t know those prospects and would have to look into them. But on the surface it seems like you are saying Foegele+2nd for a pair of B prospects? I’d have to look into them. The thing with Stanley though, is that like the Jets there’s not even a a guarantee he makes the lineup. Depending on how preseason and camp goes Broberg might win the job and Stanley ends up as a #7 for us just like that’s a possibility with the Jets. So two B prospects that might not see a game seems close to the same type of deal anyways.
Holland can talk all he wants, but the fact is that he has about 300k in LTIR space left, with 20 players signed. He is unable to run 21-22 on the roster without moving out salary.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Indeed. Their third line was akin to our third line in 2018. They were winning matchups handedly.
Far superior. We've hardly ever iced as productive of players as TBL did with gourde or coleman on our third line. That along with handedly outshoot/chancing/scoring the opposition. Some were categorizing them as their top line during the PO's, and that's on a team with the likes of Stamkos, kucherov, point, cirelli etc. It'd be nice to have that. The gourde-coleman duo was 60% GF (41:28), 55% cf and 55% xgf in 1000+ 5v5 mins (reg season + PO's combined) from '19-'21.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Far superior. We've hardly ever iced as productive of players as TBL did with gourde or coleman on our third line. That along with handedly outshoot/chancing/scoring the opposition. Some were categorizing them as their top line during the PO's, and that's on a team with the likes of Stamkos, kucherov, point, cirelli etc. It'd be nice to have that. The gourde-coleman duo was 60% GF (41:28), 55% cf and 55% xgf in 1000+ 5v5 mins (reg season + PO's combined) from '19-'21.
I think you’re underestimating how good Lowry and Copp were in 2017-18. They were at 59.6 cf%, 58.6 gf% and 63.7 xGf% in over 400 mins together.

They were even better with Tanev 67 gf% in 300+ mins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad