GDT: All things free agent frenzy

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Flames should have signed long-term. Yet another player they are just walking to UFA. This is good value for 2 years but should've been a 6-8 year contract.
Might not fit right now. Think there'll be more flexibility couple years down the road with tanev, zadorov, Lucic or Monahan done.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Several of the players. Stastny returned to this room after Hayes and Eakin left. Stastny also recruited Schmidt to waive his NMC. Comrie has said it was great. There have been other interviews with current and former players.

The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. I'm sure it's not sunshine and rainbows but I'm not sure how much insight players who were here for a very short period of times, ie 20 games or less, could provide Nolan Patrick's uncle as to the inner workings of the dressing room.
This is exactly my feelings as well. As for the person who asked if Dubois was the problem, these locker issues apparently have been going on for years so I doubt that to be the case. I'm not sure how well liked he is, and he may be a contributor (really can't say).

I feel like (this is just opinion with no real tangible evidence) that there are two significant contributors to some strife in the room:

How intense Wheeler is. That could put players off especially if he gives them shit for effort or bad play
Maurice's insistance on playing Wheeler and Schiefele's bags off regardless of score, situation, or how they were playing.

I think if Bowness convinces Wheeler to give up the C and chill a bit, and if he gives players icetime dependent on logical situational deployment and how they are performing, we could see a marked improvement in the room.

However, having never stepped in the Jets dressing room (outside when I played there) it's nothing more than opinion based on assumption.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Several of the players. Stastny returned to this room after Hayes and Eakin left. Stastny also recruited Schmidt to waive his NMC. Comrie has said it was great. There have been other interviews with current and former players.

The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. I'm sure it's not sunshine and rainbows but I'm not sure how much insight players who were here for a very short period of times, ie 20 games or less, could provide Nolan Patrick's uncle as to the inner workings of the dressing room.
Stastny, who hasn’t re-signed and likely won’t..was one of the most vocal in regards to how poor the room was with guys not playing for each other or buying in. Not exactly a point I’d use to reinforce your take.

Comrie, who is the quintessential example of a company man; could you actually see him talking open and honestly about the room? Not a chance.

You get the scoops from the people who are outside the cone of silence because there’s no fear of retribution.

I’d imagine that James Patrick, given he works with Zingers kid, has some pretty strong intel into what’s going on. He wouldn’t float that out there for shits and giggles.

Reactions: rkp

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Perreault couldn’t find a full time job on the worst team in the league last year.
He was injured for most of it. Perrault would be a 'room guy' at worst and still produce in the bottom 6 at best...

There's a ton of bottom 6 free agents out there though - I'm sure Chevy will find a couple more

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Stastny, who hasn’t re-signed and likely won’t..was one of the most vocal in regards to how poor the room was with guys not playing for each other or buying in. Not exactly a point I’d use to reinforce your take.

Comrie, who is the quintessential example of a company man; could you actually see him talking open and honestly about the room? Not a chance.

You get the scoops from the people who are outside the cone of silence because there’s no fear of retribution.

I’d imagine that James Patrick, given he works with Zingers kid, has some pretty strong intel into what’s going on. He wouldn’t float that out there for shits and giggles.

I'm just saying that there's a lot of second hand information from both ends. To me, it seems like you've decided the room is bad so you'll ignore contrary opinions. I'd definitely use Stastny as an example, because he returned to the team after Hayes and Eakin supposedly called it the worst room they've ever been in. Could I see Comrie talking openly and honestly about the room? Probably not directly, but the fact that one of the alleged problem figures that nobody liked was actually at his house at the time he gave that interview

I think Bowness is a key factor here. There were obviously personality conflicts and Maurice let things get way out of control. If Bowness can get the team all pulling together on the same rope, then great. If not, well a lot of this team is out the door very soon anyway. I don't think Chevy ignores the Calgary lesson with Gaudreau and lets many of these contracts run out in Winnipeg. If the team isn't good this year then he won't have any excuse to keep them again.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Is it possible that Dubois is the one that rattled the room? He seems like an asshole. In the same way the Wheeler comes off as an asshole? Following IG doesn't seem like PLD has a lot of supporters on the team.

It's certainly possible. To me PLD doesn't come across as an asshole in the videos/press conferences I've seen of him, but he could easily be totally different behind closed doors. Many people are completely different when on camera versus when they are not. He does seem very stilted when on camera -- I've chalked this up to just being a poor public speaker but it could also be because he's not a good actor.

What do you do when stars collide? Trade them? Two guys that have 6 locations they are willing to play in between them? You need guys who can patch things up. Anyone notice that Matty Perreault leaves and all of a sudden the locker room falls apart. I mean there were animosities before, whether it be Wheeler-Chiarot, Buff-Trouba, Scheif-Laine. I think there's something to these guys like Stats and Perreault that can transcend personal differences. Ehlers is another one.

Agree you need guys who can patch things up. Given how things ended in Columbus maybe Dubois isn't one.

If you've played hockey you probably didn't like everyone on your team. Personalities constantly clash. Best way to get a team to gel is to win. Winning solves a lot of problems at the end of the day. Now accoutability from coaching does to, but that's a whole different discussion.

Yeah I've played a few team sports. Funny enough I was one of those much maligned "glue guys" who contributed about one goal per season, a few assists, and led the team in Penalty Minutes LOL. So I actually got along fairly well with everyone most of the time, but there were some teams where yeah I didn't like some of the people on my team but made it work. It's probably easy to make things work when you don't have the ego associated with being a top player.

Reactions: voyageur

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't think much happens in the rest of the off-season either.
There are a couple of teams needing to shed a contract or 2, so there will have to be some activity. Not sure how we might fit into that. Maybe something like how Sea got Bjorkstrand. I'd take Konecny for that kind of price, quite happily.
Isles fan lurking in peace. Any interest in Bailey or Beauvillier? If reports are to be believed, Lou is looking to create some space and trying to move Bailey (or perhaps Beauvillier). But since it's Lou, it could be false or he could wait until late-Sept! Bailey is a pass-first winger (either side, but lately RW mostly) who has fit in well with shooting Cs, and he does all the little things that coaches love. Beau had a down year but honestly we figure he'll turn that around and would rather keep him. Cheers.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015

I mean using Stastny makes perfect sense he waived his NMC in 17-18 to come here, was traded back for the 20-21 season, must have enjoyed his time enough and believed in the players that they could make a push for the cup so he re-signed for the 21-22 season and is one of the players that sold Schmidt on Winnipeg, then after the 21-22 was vocal about the team after a disappointing season.

People like to push the narrative that the room has been horrible and toxic for as long as 5 years, it seems Stastny disagrees with the locker room being that horrible for that long of a time but does agree that is was bad last season.

You can’t really use Stastny to push the narrative that the room has been horrible for years because his actions don’t really agree with that statement but do agree that there were problems last year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Isles fan lurking in peace. Any interest in Bailey or Beauvillier? If reports are to be believed, Lou is looking to create some space and trying to move Bailey (or perhaps Beauvillier). But since it's Lou, it could be false or he could wait until late-Sept! Bailey is a pass-first winger (either side, but lately RW mostly) who has fit in well with shooting Cs, and he does all the little things that coaches love. Beau had a down year but honestly we figure he'll turn that around and would rather keep him. Cheers.

I'd take either for the right price.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd be interested in Bailey but idk how he would fair if he isn't in the TOP 6 on this team. Our RW depth is probably wheeler and Ehlers, so he'd be 3rd line with Lowry who is hardly a shooting C.

Reactions: doublechili

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Yeah that fits what the team is looking for I think, a middle 6 forward. It would depend on the price though, given what Bjorkstrand went for I don't think it would be very much of anything.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I mean using Stastny makes perfect sense he waived his NMC in 17-18 to come here, was traded back for the 20-21 season, must have enjoyed his time enough and believed in the players that they could make a push for the cup so he re-signed for the 21-22 season and is one of the players that sold Schmidt on Winnipeg, then after the 21-22 was vocal about the team after a disappointing season.

People like to push the narrative that the room has been horrible and toxic for as long as 5 years, it seems Stastny disagrees with the locker room being that horrible for that long of a time but does agree that is was bad last season.

You can’t really use Stastny to push the narrative that the room has been horrible for years because his actions don’t really agree with that statement but do agree that there were problems last year.

My guess is prior to this year like with all rooms there have been times were things have gotten really heated like in 2019. I'd also imagine there were some fairly consistient personality clashes over that time as well I.e Laine vs. Mark/Blake.

I think things just went completely off the rails this year that it lead to some very frustrated players who were venting their frustration. But I also think it also brought a number of the underlying issues to the forefront which is likely why you see Blake and the org interested in moving on.

I think knowing the issues and addressing them prior to next season will see this team get back on track. Also addressing issues doesn't just mean trading players out of town. To me that is a last resort if they refuse to buy into the new program.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah that fits what the team is looking for I think, a middle 6 forward. It would depend on the price though, given what Bjorkstrand went for I don't think it would be very much of anything.
Thanks for the responses. I assume he'd want a return of some kind for Beauvillier, although who knows in the current climate. For Bailey I wouldn't think he'd need much if anything. Lou is funny about culture though, so I could see him wanting to put the good soldier Bailey in a good position rather than just sending him wherever he can get the best deal - I assume WPG would fit the bill in that regard. Not sure if this is relevant, but the Isles may have interest in a cheap bottom pairing/depth LHD (right now those spots are taken by kids, but Lou might want a depth vet).

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the responses. I assume he'd want a return of some kind for Beauvillier, although who knows in the current climate. For Bailey I wouldn't think he'd need much if anything. Lou is funny about culture though, so I could see him wanting to put the good soldier Bailey in a good position rather than just sending him wherever he can get the best deal - I assume WPG would fit the bill in that regard. Not sure if this is relevant, but the Isles may have interest in a cheap bottom pairing/depth LHD (right now those spots are taken by kids, but Lou might want a depth vet).
Jets have a surplus of LHD so it's possible Wpg and NYI could work as trade partners.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Beauvillier for Stanley, done.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Beauvillier for Stanley, done.
I was thinking Beauvillier for Berdin and a conditional 5th round pick, between 2023 and 2025. Berdin can be the 3rd string Russian on the team, whose #3 I think is Appleby from days bygone. Isles will need to dump salary and Beauvillier makes more sense. Bailey wears an A he's been with the team for a long time, I just don't see him getting thrown under the bus for Kadri. Isles can replace Beauvillier with Parise, who is making money from two teams this year.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Bailey is exactly the type of player we need and could bump wheeler out of the top six… or be a plug and play depth piece for our top 6 with injuries

KC-PLD-Perfetti
Ehlers-Scheif-Bailey
Barron-Lowry-Wheeler
Harkins-Gus-Apples

If Lowry wasn’t locked in at 3C I’d play wheeler there…

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

I'd take either for the right price.

Late to the party, but I'm in agreement. I'd be interested in either. Depends on the price - if they're cap dumps and don't cost a lot, I wouldn't mind both (cap hits might be too much for us though if it's both).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's nothing out there that really intrigues me at the moment.

I personally dont mind going into this season with our current roster.

For some reason I feel this will allow us to:

a) better gauge what peices are needed.

b) reclaim our title of "Underdog/Darkhorse" and bring out the best in our team.

and

c) better position us to either steer towards saving $ for the TDL or Tank.

All of these points are illogical, counterintuitive and nonsensical. Probably my worst "Hot Take" in years.

Then again, last year my 4 hot takes included: Comrie would perform great, PLD would return to form and Stastny would be dynamite. But I also said we would make the playoffs.

Anyhow... if we can make a push for Playoffs with our current roster and gauge things at the mid year point, then the more space we'll have to sign a big ticket player at TDL.

I really think last year was an anomaly.

Someone please Roast me back into reality :)

It looks like Chevy agrees with you, last year was an anomaly.
IMO, what's come in is not as good as what's gone out though.
Please, please, please Chevy, do not go after any big ticket rentals, no matter what position we are in. If you can use the cap space to improve the roster longer term, great.

Hard to believe that with your first 4 hot takes coming true the last one would miss. :laugh:
How was that even possible?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It looks like Chevy agrees with you, last year was an anomaly.
IMO, what's come in is not as good as what's gone out though.
Please, please, please Chevy, do not go after any big ticket rentals, no matter what position we are in. If you can use the cap space to improve the roster longer term, great.

Hard to believe that with your first 4 hot takes coming true the last one would miss. :laugh:
How was that even possible?
What 3 legit top 6 forwards and 9 4th line guys and 2 second pair D to go along with 4 bottom pair D guys won't get you a cup?

Someone inform Chevy soon!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Could use either one. I would prefer Beauvillier myself. Not sure I would want to pay the price, but if it is in the Bjorkstrand area I would be interested.

Reactions: doublechili

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers fan coming in peace (again). How’s the Jets 4C situation for next year? Are you looking for an upgrade in that area?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad