Player Discussion: All things Emil Bemstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Carson Meyer is a year older and got to actually develop through college. And no offense, he’s not that good.

Bemstrom has spent a lot of his developmental time in the press box. And Carson Meyer doesn’t have nearly the upside that Bemstrom does..
I'm pretty sure Meyer's development got stunted by a transfer and a tapeworm. Mostly the tapeworm. He deserves a bit more time to develop and see if he can be a contributor. He was a 6th round pick so its not realistic to expect much from him but if he continues to develop he could maybe be a nice role player.

Reactions: thebus88 and EspenK

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm pretty sure Meyer's development got stunted by a transfer and a tapeworm. Mostly the tapeworm. He deserves a bit more time to develop and see if he can be a contributor. He was a 6th round pick so its not realistic to expect much from him but if he continues to develop he could maybe be a nice role player.

My “ideal” CBJ team has both Bemstrom and Meyer in over multiple current CBJ players.

Think about a Foudy-Danforth-Meyer “4th line”.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
My “ideal” CBJ team has both Bemstrom and Meyer in over multiple current CBJ players.

Think about a Foudy-Danforth-Meyer “4th line”.
It would be even the 3th line. Honestly it won't be although the team should be more agressive. But Justin is out probably to the end of the season and the TOP 9 is too soft.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It would be even the 3th line. Honestly it won't be although the team should be more agressive. But Justin is out probably to the end of the season and the TOP 9 is too soft.
In relation to a Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier line, that should/would be considered a “3rd line”.

That said, similar to my idea that you only want 1 of Robinson/Kuraly/Olivier in your lineup at any given time, you would only want 1 of Foudy/Danforth/Meyer playing higher in the lineup, or on the “3rd line” at any given time. On a “good” team they aren’t playing 3rd line minutes, but, you could play them a regular shift and not think twice about it.

I just think that combo would be just as good defensively and add speed, while actually adding a scoring punch/threat. The best thing I could hope for at this point this year would probably be Foudy-Kuraly-Meyer, but, I don’t plan on it.

Foudy makes Robinson essentially “redundant”, who knows how much Gaudreau is a factor here, and IMO we need to find a way to make Kuraly redundant. Unfortunately, the way the current CBJ is built, he is a literal need, as the CBJ center skill and depth may be the worst in the league.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
In relation to a Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier line, that should/would be considered a “3rd line”.

That said, similar to my idea that you only want 1 of Robinson/Kuraly/Olivier in your lineup at any given time, you would only want 1 of Foudy/Danforth/Meyer playing higher in the lineup, or on the “3rd line” at any given time. On a “good” team they aren’t playing 3rd line minutes, but, you could play them a regular shift and not think twice about it.

I just think that combo would be just as good defensively and add speed, while actually adding a scoring punch/threat. The best thing I could hope for at this point this year would probably be Foudy-Kuraly-Meyer, but, I don’t plan on it.

Foudy makes Robinson essentially “redundant”, who knows how much Gaudreau is a factor here, and IMO we need to find a way to make Kuraly redundant. Unfortunately, the way the current CBJ is built, he is a literal need, as the CBJ center skill and depth may be the worst in the league.
Look, Kuraly and Roslovic are Columbus boys. Their banners are on the window above the area. Do you really think one of them would be traded such easy?

Reactions: thebus88

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Look, Kuraly and Roslovic are Columbus boys. Their banners are on the window above the area. Do you really think one of them would be traded such easy?
Kuraly, probably not. Ros... For the right price/upgrade. I think kuraly fits his role here perfectly. Ros on the other hand..... Meh.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If you combined the skill of both players you would have an “ok” player.

I’d have Bemstrom in the lineup over both guys and figure the center position out as we go. Literally can’t be any worse.

Hate the contracts/commitments/roles given to them.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Kuraly, probably not. Ros... For the right price/upgrade. I think kuraly fits his role here perfectly. Ros on the other hand..... Meh.
Reality:

I don't believe Roslo will be traded. Yes, scratched few games, but won't be traded.

Reactions: Viqsi

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I provisionally agree, in the sense that I think we need more guys who battle like that, not to replace the guys we have.

We don’t need more “skill guys” and we don’t need any more guys that “battle” like Kuraly.

We need guys (like in the past) who have SKILL and BATTLE.

This is relatable and comparable to the ridiculous idea that players are categorized and separated as either “skilled” or a “grinder”, and that you need to build your team with a mix of both types. While SOME are just 1 type of player or the other, these are ALL players you DO NOT WANT.

The ACTUAL best players in the world bring ALL aspects of the game to the ice, not just offensive qualities and statistics.

To add, “smarts” is another trait/category that I feel is very important. We have had teams in the past that have been filled with SMART players, which makes up for not being overly skilled. This is possibly Kuraly’s biggest issue, IMO. His “feet” work a step ahead of his “eyes” and “hands”, and his “head” is yet another step behind them. I don’t think he’s very good defensively at all, really.

Forget the “battle”, think about how different it would be with a Letestu instead of a Kuraly filling those minutes.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We don’t need more “skill guys” and we don’t need any more guys that “battle” like Kuraly.

We need guys (like in the past) who have SKILL and BATTLE.

This is relatable and comparable to the ridiculous idea that players are categorized and separated as either “skilled” or a “grinder”, and that you need to build your team with a mix of both types. While SOME are just 1 type of player or the other, these are ALL players you DO NOT WANT.

The ACTUAL best players in the world bring ALL aspects of the game to the ice, not just offensive qualities and statistics.

To add, “smarts” is another trait/category that I feel is very important. We have had teams in the past that have been filled with SMART players, which makes up for not being overly skilled. This is possibly Kuraly’s biggest issue, IMO. His “feet” work a step ahead of his “eyes” and “hands”, and his “head” is yet another step behind them. I don’t think he’s very good defensively at all, really.

Forget the “battle”, think about how different it would be with a Letestu instead of a Kuraly filling those minutes.

I agree in theory but as usual I don't agree with how you slot the players.

Sean Kuraly has a very particular role that Lars uses him for. It's mostly D zone starts and he and Robinson are tasked with getting the puck into the offensive end and getting a whistle there. They're very good at that. They also score a decent amount given their limited role. There was a time last year where Kuraly was playing too many minutes but that has passed and now we just have a 4C that does his job well.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8 and VT

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
When you bring a player up to play for an injured player, does he have to clear waivers if he is sent back down?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
When you bring a player up to play for an injured player, does he have to clear waivers if he is sent back down?
If I recall correctly if you call a player up, they are not subject to waivers to be sent back down unless they remain on the roster for 10 games or 30 days. Whichever comes first.

Reactions: DEF

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I came here looking for "All Things Emil Bemstrom" but instead I got "All Things But Emil Bemstrom".

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I came here looking for "All Things Emil Bemstrom" but instead I got "All Things But Emil Bemstrom".
Way to do your part.

The other players talked about are in direct competition with Bemstrom for ice time, currently and moving forward.

• Haha
Reactions: Doggy

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Way to do your part.

The other players talked about are in direct competition with Bemstrom for ice time, currently and moving forward.
Fine, I did not get to see the game last night, how did Bemstrom do? This is what I was hoping to find in the thread when I came here.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Fine, I did not get to see the game last night, how did Bemstrom do? This is what I was hoping to find in the thread when I came here.
To me he had a lot of confidence with the puck, and has started to take guys on 1v1. In the game he had 1 goal, 1 assist. 0.28 expected goals, 1 blocked shot, 0 hits (but I can distinctly remember him hitting/finishing checks) and 3 SOG. The 14-96-52 line spent a lot of time in their own zone though.

Reactions: Viqsi

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
To me he had a lot of confidence with the puck, and has started to take guys on 1v1. In the game he had 1 goal, 1 assist. 0.28 expected goals, 1 blocked shot, 0 hits (but I can distinctly remember him hitting/finishing checks) and 3 SOG. The 14-96-52 line spent a lot of time in their own zone though.
I remember hearing somewhere that Bemmer was asked about what he learned being down in Cleveland. His response was that he learned he is still a good hockey player. To me that sounds like a guy who’d lost his confidence but has re-found it. Hopefully this continues.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
have to think Bemstrom will consider moving back to Sweden, or possibly asking for a trade

opportunity here has now past

There's a decent chance that he already has a trade request put in. That might help explain the AHL assignment. Actually it is hard to explain the AHL assignment if Jarmo doesn't plan to trade him.

By keeping him in the AHL before the 30 day mark in the NHL, he doesn't need to pass through waivers and the acquiring club can keep him stashed until needed.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
have to think Bemstrom will consider moving back to Sweden, or possibly asking for a trade

opportunity here has now past
He’s on a 1 way contract making NHL money in the AHL. He could just ride it out in the A through next year and still make more than he would in Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad