Player Discussion: All things Emil Bemstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Weird contract. Two years, one way...which means he's going to be making a lot of money in the press box or Cleveland.

Guess Jarmo got the approval to light more of ownership's money on fire. It's possible there are 4-5 guys in Cleveland making NHL (or almost NHL...in Gaunce's case) while in Cleveland, pending waiver claims and trades.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Weird contract. Two years, one way...which means he's going to be making a lot of money in the press box or Cleveland.

Guess Jarmo got the approval to light more of ownership's money on fire. It's possible there are 4-5 guys in Cleveland making NHL (or almost NHL...in Gaunce's case) while in Cleveland, pending waiver claims and trades.
I wonder if this makes him trade-able.

Monk, I think you hit the like button before I hit the Post Reply button. LOL.

Reactions: Monk

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

By making it one-way dollars, it makes him less likely to be traded (imo) and also less likely to be claimed.

All of these forwards are on one-way (NHL dollars) deals: Gaudreau, Laine, Voracek, Nyquist, Roslovic, Kuraly, Robinson, Danforth, Jenner, Texier, Bemstrom, Olivier, Gaunce (partially...his minors salary is $450k, while he'll get paid $750k in the NHL), Foudy (partially...his minors salary is $200k this year and then $775k next year, while he'll get paid $750k in the NHL), Louto (partially...$300k minors salary, $750k NHL salary). That's 12 forwards on one-way deals and three more with partial NHL money if in the minors.

Then you have these guys on ELCs - Sillinger, Chinakhov, Johnson, Marchenko (all are waivers exempt) + Carson Meyer is waivers-exempt as well.

Almost certainly at least two guys making more than $80k minors salary will be in Cleveland. And almost certainly, the team is going to have to risk losing at least two guys on waivers to send them to Cleveland.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
By making it one-way dollars, it makes him less likely to be traded (imo) and also less likely to be claimed.

All of these forwards are on one-way (NHL dollars) deals: Gaudreau, Laine, Voracek, Nyquist, Roslovic, Kuraly, Robinson, Danforth, Jenner, Texier, Bemstrom, Olivier, Gaunce (partially...his minors salary is $450k, while he'll get paid $750k in the NHL), Foudy (partially...his minors salary is $200k this year and then $775k next year, while he'll get paid $750k in the NHL), Louto (partially...$300k minors salary, $750k NHL salary). That's 12 forwards on one-way deals and three more with partial NHL money if in the minors.

Then you have these guys on ELCs - Sillinger, Chinakhov, Johnson, Marchenko (all are waivers exempt) + Carson Meyer is waivers-exempt as well.

Almost certainly at least two guys making more than $80k minors salary will be in Cleveland. And almost certainly, the team is going to have to risk losing at least two guys on waivers to send them to Cleveland.
BobbyMac was saying its rare for a player to not clear waivers. I think he seems correct, this isn't like trying to sneak players on to the practice squad in the NFL.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
BobbyMac was saying its rare for a player to not clear waivers. I think he seems correct, this isn't like trying to sneak players on to the practice squad in the NFL.

Potentially going to be paying $2.5m (or more) to have 5-6 of the guys I mentioned play in Cleveland.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
This is why I think a trade is possible. We have a glut and Bemmer not really needed but in a cap restricted era, a team needing legit 3rd liners on a reasonable deal could certainly take a chance on him. There really doesn't seem to be room on this roster for him but suspect Jarmo sees him as an asset he could get something for. Heck, for all we know Bemmer asked out looking for better opportunities and Jarmo signed him to a friendly deal so he could be moved (I do think this deal was reasonable).

Reactions: koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It is easier now since they've changed the waiver rules in the last couple of years.

I'm not sure on the specifics at the moment but I believe they removed recall waivers and it is 10 games or 30 days on the active roster when recalled before they have to pass through to go back down?

The most likely chance for someone to get claimed is the initial pass through to be sent to Cleveland in training camp. At least that is how I understand it to be the case.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Which year, and at what point?

2021 Columbus Blue Jackets Preseason Scoring Stats & Leaders - NHL | FOX Sports

Last year he was tied for 3rd in scoring, 6th in PPG.
I’d wager he’s first in P/60.

2nd in scoring. 3rd in points. Not sure what your point is? He did that playing 15 minutes a night, check the game logs. How much ice time do you think Laine/Voracek/Bjorkstrand got…

My point has always been that he had a great preseason and it didn’t end up with him on the ice. So I’m not confident he gets a “shot” this year.

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
2nd in scoring. 3rd in points. Not sure what your point is?
I'm slightly annoyed that something which is not a fact has been used as an argument too many times on this board in several threads.

I'll check the game logs later. Will be also interesting to see who did Bem play against. I'll also check if I had posted anything of his preseason performance. Maybe he was a standout, can't remember barely anything from last fall.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I'm slightly annoyed that something which is not a fact has been used as an argument too many times on this board in several threads.

I'll check the game logs later. Will be also interesting to see who did Bem play against. I'll also check if I had posted anything of his preseason performance. Maybe he was a standout, can't remember barely anything from last fall.

After his “Bad game” you had this to say:

@tunnelvision
“And if he starts playing like Bemstrom we should call him Bustquist.“
“Yeah, pretty underwhelming for Tex and Bem. Now I'd like to take my words back about Bemstrom's increased confidence with the puck I said the other day.”
“Foudy looks like a lock in the final roster. IMO he was way better against the Wings in relation to Texier, Bemstrom, Danforth and Hofmann.”

Portzline (know Bemstrom hater) even was tweeting good things about him

Bemstrom keeps play alive, lifts stick for a takeaway, then lifts another stick on a cross ice pass opening a lane for Boqvist… and Boqvist scores. Doesn’t end up on the stat sheet, but this is progress that I BELIEVE is encouraging.

Attachments

• 1660584682562.png
    1660584682562.png
    341 bytes · Views: 2
Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

My apologies, it is probably my faulty memory that introduced this spurious fact. But he certainly played well and the point is that it didn't buy him much leash once the real games began. I'm not sure what the order of events were though, he had a bad injury at one point that kept him out of the lineup, I don't know if that happened before or after he started being mostly scratched.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Did the team screw over Carson Meyer by not giving him more of a chance? 🤔
Carson Meyer is a year older and got to actually develop through college. And no offense, he’s not that good.

Bemstrom has spent a lot of his developmental time in the press box. And Carson Meyer doesn’t have nearly the upside that Bemstrom does..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad