OT: All Things Basketball Thread

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
They had to sign some players anyway there was so many open holes in the roster. There is no way Josh/Ray/Analytics team thinks the Devils are anywhere close. You can say it's press talk but is there a legit timeframe you can put on the team? I mean it's for another thread but there is so much separation between where the Devils are and where they need to be--signings like Tlusty, Schlemko, and Stempniak who were all less than a million dollars don't change that. You can look at the all the stats or just watch them play and see that. And Shero is been here for less than a year, just because they haven't traded Cory doesn't mean it isn't a longterm plan and also because he hasn't played that many games for a 30 year old--he has significant time left.

If you want to read about what Hinkie's mindset was read this: http://espn.go.com/pdf/2016/0406/nba_hinkie_redact.pdf

bottom line is the team he is leaving is much better off than the one he came to. who did Hinkie even trade that could be part of a legit team? Holiday is always injured, that MCW trade looks really good now for the sixers. not saying every team needs to do what the sixers did to rebuild but look at the position they were in when Hinkie got hired--that team had no potential and wasn't even good in the present either.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
When you take two guys in a row that need to sit out a year because of injury AT BEST that's trading your first rounder this year for a first rounder next year, which no team is doing and is why they seem to be content with always kicking the can down the road. One guy I could understand but two is brazenly spitting in the wind. And they stocked up on tall, thin big men with debatable talent when the game's becoming more guard-centric. And you at least need to have a couple of vets around (and ones that can still play a little) and not hope the kids grow up in a city like Philadelphia in a losing atmosphere by osmosis. Even a kid like Okeafor who came from Duke and was supposed to be a little more mature had his problems this year.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Shamelessly stolen from Twitter: last night GS was complaining about how the game. This is what it sounds like when the Dubs cry!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This first round has to of been one of the worst ever. East is a total joke. So many bad injuries out West. Rockets are a total embarrassment and watching them get run out of the playoffs was satisfying.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Problem is that the opening few rounds in the NBA playoffs are generally awful because the disparity between teams is so great. In Basketball 9 out of 10 times if you have the better players you win so upsets are rare.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Sixers become the first North American major sports franchise to have ads on their jerseys

i

get ready for ads on the Devils' jerseys!

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I'm surprised StubHub would want to be associated with that team

I had the same thought. I mean obviously they are separate entities, but the Devils do go out of their way to try and limit fan use of StubHub, and SH has to know they have the same management team. But I guess SH liked the price for this exclusive deal, and the Philly market is a solid one when a team is competitive. If they rebuild properly and become a championship-caliber team, that deal will pay off.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I had the same thought. I mean obviously they are separate entities, but the Devils do go out of their way to try and limit fan use of StubHub, and SH has to know they have the same management team. But I guess SH liked the price for this exclusive deal, and the Philly market is a solid one when a team is competitive. If they rebuild properly and become a championship-caliber team, that deal will pay off.

I meant because they are the worst team in the NBA :sarcasm:

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I meant because they are the worst team in the NBA :sarcasm:

Haha yeah I realized that so I added in the last part about when they are good again (if that actually happens during this deal) and the strength of the Philly market. Right now though, yeah the 76ers are not an attractive brand :laugh:

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

They are literally the only secondary ticket market the team could use. Tickets for WFC are ComcasTixs so they can't use the Ticketmaster resale market.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
1-2-3,4,5 Sixers! 10-9-8-76ers!!! My season tickets are now worth more than the paper they are printed on ( OK more than the plastic card they are loaded on)!!!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And the Celtics get the #3 overall pick as one of the Brooklyn Nets' 900 first rounders they got in the Pierce-Garnett trade lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad