All Things AHL Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Rampage beat Cleveland last night 4-2 with the new captain Butler knocking in a goal as did Blais. Kostin was tossed in the third(game misconduct), I’m sure his mind is on the World Juniors at this point. Two assists and five shots for Thompson, he had himself a decent game I thought. First game back post the mystery injury. Husso played well when needed and had 24 saves. Both the Wolves and Rampage have games Friday night.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Quoted from another thread, but I wanted to ask about Binnie. It says he was re-assigned to Providence. I never saw him moved elsewhere. Was he sent to San Antonio when we called up Husso? That seems strange. Binnington is playing lights out from the numbers (8gp, 1.84, .933), anyone gotten a chance to watch any of his games? Legit resurgence or small sample size?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Quoted from another thread, but I wanted to ask about Binnie. It says he was re-assigned to Providence. I never saw him moved elsewhere. Was he sent to San Antonio when we called up Husso? That seems strange. Binnington is playing lights out from the numbers (8gp, 1.84, .933), anyone gotten a chance to watch any of his games? Legit resurgence or small sample size?
Husso was recently sent down and Binnington was called up to the Blues.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Did you miss the Blues returning Husso to SA and recalling Binny to back up Allen last night?

Pretty straight movement for Binny. Had been playing for P-Bruins, called up to backup Allen so Blues could return Husso to SA so he could play for SA last night instead of sit on NHL bench. Hutts now eligible to come off IR so Binny returned to P-Bruins.

As for his play with the P-Bruins so far this season being a resurgence...hard to say. I haven’t seen him play but Providence is a good team so that helps. But Binny has been a pretty good AHL goalie for a few years now. Solid but does he have enough to be one of the best 62 goalies on this continent? Unsure.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Did you miss the Blues returning Husso to SA and recalling Binny to back up Allen last night?

Yea, I did miss it. I didn't watch last night as I went to see Star Wars premiere. Thanks for information. It makes sense to let Husso get a start in AHL rather than rotting on the bench another game.

I am curious what someone who has watched Binningotn the past few seasons including this year thinks (Josh?). I watched a decent bit the last couple years (maybe 5-10 games a season plus highlights) and thought he was on a downward trajectory. With the prospects being spread across 3 teams, I have watched 0 of Binnington this season. He was a good AHL goalie his sophmore season. The past 2 years he has been very middling. That could be attributed to the team. However, last years wolves were pretty good and his stats were still pretty "meh". His #s were significantly lower than Husso or Copley, and lower than his good run from 2 seasons before. Now he is putting up top 5 in the AHL #s over an admittedly small sample size. I always thought the competition from bringing in Copley and then Husso damaged his confidence and he couldn't handle the pressure. I am hoping being sent to Providence cleared things up for him as he isn't watching his direct competition nightly.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yea, I did miss it. I didn't watch last night as I went to see Star Wars premiere. Thanks for information. It makes sense to let Husso get a start in AHL rather than rotting on the bench another game.

I am curious what someone who has watched Binningotn the past few seasons including this year thinks (Josh?). I watched a decent bit the last couple years (maybe 5-10 games a season plus highlights) and thought he was on a downward trajectory. With the prospects being spread across 3 teams, I have watched 0 of Binnington this season. He was a good AHL goalie his sophmore season. The past 2 years he has been very middling. That could be attributed to the team. However, last years wolves were pretty good and his stats were still pretty "meh". His #s were significantly lower than Husso or Copley, and lower than his good run from 2 seasons before. Now he is putting up top 5 in the AHL #s over an admittedly small sample size. I always thought the competition from bringing in Copley and then Husso damaged his confidence and he couldn't handle the pressure. I am hoping being sent to Providence cleared things up for him as he isn't watching his direct competition nightly.
I haven't seen any Providence games this year, but JR did mention Binny a bit in his latest game recap on the Athletic:

JR said:
It's been a bizarre situation this year for Binnington, but he seems to have made the most of it. Because the Blues don't have their own AHL affiliate, Binnington was without a home until the club worked out a deal to loan him to the Providence Bruins. He is playing behind Zane McIntyre with the Bruins, but in eight games this year Binnington is 6-1 with a 1.84 goals-against average and a .933 save percentage.

“It's worked out so far,” Binnington said. “Obviously, it's Boston's team, so their guy is the main guy, he's the starter, but I'm getting my one game a week. It's kind of a new role for me as a straight backup, but I think it's gone well and I've handled it well.”

Sounds like McIntyre is the clear #1 starter which means that Binnington MAY be facing weaker competition, but I can't say that with certainty. On the other hand, if Binnington is playing a lot of back-to-backs behind a tired squad, that may make his numbers even more impressive. Regardless, it's great to see him having success thus far.

Providence is actually playing Hershey tomorrow night and I believe Copley will be starting for the Bears. Don't think Binny will get the start, but it would be funny to see a Copley vs Binnington head-to-head showdown...

Jessica

17 year Rampage sth
Jul 1, 2005
San Antonio, TX
Ugly Christmas Sweater Jersey Auction

Spenser Martin 1400
Ville Husso 1150
Mason Geertsen 1450
Chris Bigras 1200
David Warsofsky 1400
Brendan Ranford 2000
Duncan Siemens 1100
Dominic Toninato 1200
Felix Girard 1150
Rocco Grimaldi 1300
Klim Kostin 1000
Shawn Ouellet-St. Amant 1250
A.J. Greer 1050
Chris Butler 1200
Adam Musil 1200
Andrew Agozzino 1150
Tage Thompson 1100
Julien Nantel 1300
Alex Belzile 1200
Andrei Mironov 900
T-Bone 1250

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis

Wow! I wonder if there’s some history there?

How’d the fight come about? Line brawl?

Agostino took a big hit. All in all I think the two were having a bit of fun. Seeing the full scrap, neither guy looked like they were really trying to connect with much. Though the “square off” was pretty great.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Wow! I wonder if there’s some history there?

How’d the fight come about? Line brawl?

Hahaha wow...not what I had in mind when I mentioned a “head-to-head showdown”

Gotta love a goalie fight :laugh:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Anyone know why Kostin was scratched today? Healthy scratch? Hurt in last game? Suspended for his recent game misconduct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad