GDT: All Star Weekend - Nathan Mackinnon Does Hollywood

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Yeah, the started at the blue line and they didn't start clocking until the red line. McDavid's was stand still. McDavid would have beat it for sure.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I miss the humor in the shootouts. It was way more fun to watch when nobody was trying.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I miss the humor in the shootouts. It was way more fun to watch when nobody was trying.

I think it would be best if players just tried to score fancy goals - that Burns between the legs off the bar was great.

I would have liked to see some guys try the Forsberg, or the Datsyuk, or a spinorama, or the Shremp lacrosse move, or Kane trying some crazy moves, etc with the goalie actually trying to stop them - that would be the best case scenario I think.

It was boring seeing guys come down and just shoot.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I think it would be best if players just tried to score fancy goals - that Burns between the legs off the bar was great.

I would have liked to see some guys try the Forsberg, or the Datsyuk, or a spinorama, or the Shremp lacrosse move, or Kane trying some crazy moves, etc with the goalie actually trying to stop them - that would be the best case scenario I think.

It was boring seeing guys come down and just shoot.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The NHL had two things sort of worth following in the All Star Weekend. That's the hardest shot and fastest skater records. Then they tried their hardest to ruin one of them by inconsistency in the competition just to market a new "record" by Larkin. I mean it's not a big deal but when the event is already super useless, don't try to make it more worthless.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
MacK lost it at the first turn. Bigger guy, has a wider turn radius than MacDavid, adding that first super sharp turn put him a step and a half behind, he sort of lost interest at that point (no surprise, nobody is catching McD if he has more than one step on ya).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Don't understand why they changed the fastest skater to those sharp turns in the middle of the ice. If they want a real fastest skater it should either be a straight line goal line to goal line or a full lap around the ice like it always used to be.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Don't understand why they changed the fastest skater to those sharp turns in the middle of the ice. If they want a real fastest skater it should either be a straight line goal line to goal line or a full lap around the ice like it always used to be.

Don't know what was wrong with that.

Ah, Sami...

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Mack's performance :/

He was fine...I was actually more scared that he'd lose his footing and crash into the boards in that race than hoping he'd win. The way this season has gone, wouldn't have surprised me.

He wasn't supposed to take part in the hardest shot contest...he replaced Subban for some reason. I laughed at the fact he was going against Doughty...my wife said "why is that funny?"...I said because I think Doughty will likely shoot mid-90s, maybe high 90s and MacKinnon is probably just praying to get over 90. As it turns out, it's exactly what happened. That's not his thing though...the breakaways at the end would have been more in his wheelhouse for sure.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not sure if this was posted somewhere else but...

Someone should tell Mack how the new lottery odds work

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
McDavid's speed is impressive but I don't think he's gonna age as gracefully into his late 20s and 30s as Crosby just because his game is so friggin reliant on actually using that speed. There's little separation and if he loses even say a hundreth or two of a second from his speed based on the sort of event from yesterday then he goes from fastest to fast. I never felt like his hockey IQ or playmaking was as good as Crosby even when Crosby was younger.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
McDavid's speed is impressive but I don't think he's gonna age as gracefully into his late 20s and 30s as Crosby just because his game is so friggin reliant on actually using that speed. There's little separation and if he loses even say a hundreth or two of a second from his speed based on the sort of event from yesterday then he goes from fastest to fast. I never felt like his hockey IQ or playmaking was as good as Crosby even when Crosby was younger.

Seriously? He is unreal. Yeah he uses his quickness but he is a very smart player too. You don't think he will figure it out.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

No his game isnt actually reliant on his speed alone. The kids hockey IQ is elite in fact it might help him to slow down a bit. I think he will age just fine. Its too bad Sid got injured a bunch.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I never said his game was reliant on speed alone I just think it's a far greater percentage of his game than Crosby and that his point totals as a percentage of the current ones will be a greater decline.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Mike Bossy has an astonishingly punchable face. Luckily they showed it every single time a player went out.

Carly, that was flat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad