All Star Team So Far?

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
In my head, I realize that Cherapanov will surely be there and that Toews is likely to beat out Downie, but I'd be happy to stick with my original list that I posted two weeks ago:
Nicklas Backstrom (A bit of a disappointment in that he hasn't scored a goal, but six assists in six games is impressive)
Patrick Kane (Tied for scoring lead with eight points)
Steve Downie (point per game and checking like a madman)
Erik Johnson (Tied for scoring lead with eight points, and leads all dmen in scoring)
Kris Letang (Fourth in dman scoring with five assists)
Carey Price (What can you say? 0.97 GAA and .967 save pct. both lead the tourney)

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
As much as I think that Russell has been an Allstar, part of me doubts that he will get it. I have a feeling he will be shunned for a big name defenseman from either USA or Team Canada.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
No love for the center leading the tournament in assists(and tied for the scoring lead)?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
If a spot is given to a Russian forward, I think Makarov deserves it more than Cherepanov. Hopefully he gets a couple more points than Cherepanov in the final to justify it statistically as well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If a spot is given to a Russian forward, I think Makarov deserves it more than Cherepanov. Hopefully he gets a couple more points than Cherepanov in the final to justify it statistically as well.

Haven't had a chance to watch any Pool B games, Slitty, and only saw Russia in the semis today. In what ways has Makarov been more impressive than Cherepanov?

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
I know stats dont say much, but Staal and Parent are both a -1 and -2, team canadas only minus defenders.....:dunno:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Haven't had a chance to watch any Pool B games, Slitty, and only saw Russia in the semis today. In what ways has Makarov been more impressive than Cherepanov?

Makarov has made a much larger contribution defensively and is one of Russia's main penalty killers. He has also been far more dangerous offensively; displaying more speed, puck poise, and skill than Cherepanov. In fact, a significant amount of Russia's powerplay advantages and thus goals (some of which were scored by Cherepanov) were a result of teams being unable to contain Makarov.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Makarov has made a much larger contribution defensively and is one of Russia's main penalty killers. He has also been far more dangerous offensively; displaying more speed, puck poise, and skill than Cherepanov. In fact, a significant amount of Russia's powerplay advantages and thus goals (some of which were scored by Cherepanov) were a result of teams being unable to contain Makarov.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing him play again on Friday.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Thanks! I look forward to seeing him play again on Friday.

I just wish Makarov had someone less of a pylon than Vasyunov on his line, so a multitude of chances wouldn't go down the drain. While Anisimov has been infinitely better than his Yaroslavl teammate, he is no sugar cookie in terms of converting chances himself. :banghead:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Haven't seen the otherside...

but I'll say who should be from this side for sure.

Toews.

Staal.

Price if he plays well in the final and wins.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Exactly my list. Although, like previously stated, Russel might get shunned for a big named defensman, most likely Letang or Staal.

Exactly. IMHO, Staal has not been spectacular. Letang has been better, but nothing amazing. Russell has been.

The first game was his weakest...after that...pure magic.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Your wingers look alright, but Bourdon on defense?

Ick.

Buddy, how can you knock that when you think Staal should be on it? Bourdon (and Letang) have not been on the ice for a single opposing goal this tournament. He has scored 2 goals, adding 2 helpers, one goal being tournament saving. He has been on both the powerplay and penalty kill, contributing effectively to both.

Staal has 0 points and is a -2. He has been on the ice for i believe 4 or 5 opposing goals and on the ice for, correct me if I'm wrong, none of Canada's goals. So where is the logic there?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Buddy, how can you knock that when you think Staal should be on it? Bourdon (and Letang) have not been on the ice for a single opposing goal this tournament. He has scored 2 goals, adding 2 helpers, one goal being tournament saving. He has been on both the powerplay and penalty kill, contributing effectively to both.

Staal has 0 points and is a -2. He has been on the ice for i believe 4 or 5 opposing goals and on the ice for, correct me if I'm wrong, none of Canada's goals. So where is the logic there?

Staal and Parent are playing against the other teams top players while Bourdon and Letang on usually paired on the #1 line for Canada so the puck is usually in the offensive zone?

I believe that would be his logic..if not correct me.

I don't know whos been better though i've only seen 3 games total in the tournament so i'm not even going to guess (thought just by judging by stats and clutch goals i'd have to say E. Johnson will definitely be one of the 2)

BTW the goals i've seen Staal and Parent on:

1) USA player bowled into Price and the USA player put it in the empty net.
2) Big blast from the point that went in, winger should be at fault there because that his man.
3) Fluky goal that went off Staals skate.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Because buddy, I've watched all Canada's games, and those stats don't mean a hell of a lot to me. Staal's a rock in his own zone, and has the worst +/- because he gets the toughest assignments. Bourdon, on the other hand, contributes offensively - but he's a defensive liability, despite what the numbers tell you.

I'm a Pens fan, so by rights I should be pimping Letang, who's also been on the ice for 0 goals against and actually put up more points than Bourdon. But Staal has been the class of the tournament on the blueline.

jaydub*

why do people act like staal and parent are the only pairing that play against good forwards? every top pairing does...and just by looking at the stats it seems like a lot of Dmen have done better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad