All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread Part X - Offseason 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
What if we do a double sign and trade with Columbus, Necas plus Gardiner for Laine. Necas signs 8 x 5. Laine 8 X 8 or 9. At 9 million we’d still have 2.5 million left for the cap

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
What if we do a double sign and trade with Columbus, Necas plus Gardiner for Laine. Necas signs 8 x 5. Laine 8 X 8 or 9. At 9 million we’d still have 2.5 million left for the cap
Columbus will not do that unless there are lots of other good pieces going to them. I think our first next year plus Drury or Morrow would be the minimum.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I don't think they have to be better on paper comparatively in some area to be a threat to win. It's particularly hard to do that against such a balanced team like Tampa. Get closer (i.e. improve the PP) and hope for a good 2 weeks worth of bounces and confidence.
I agree 100%. I think this is where drafting and identifying depth comes into play. It’s what has allowed them to keep their elite core together for as long as they have. TB’s FO is so damn good at finding and utilizing that value.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I don't think so. If he is only taking that kind of increase, why wouldn't Tampa sign him for that. I think he gets more on the open market, or he takes something similar to stay in Tampa. WE don't get him for that.
Tampa would have to shed salary to sign him to that and complete their roster.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Sign Forsberg 7 x $9M
Sign Palat - 4 x $4.75M
Sign TDA - 4 x $4.5M
Sign Zadorov - 3 x $3M
Trade for Chychrun, sending Necas, Skjei, Seeley (and/or something else?) to Arizona
Trade Gardiner

Forsberg-Aho-Jarvis
Svech-KK-Palat
TT-Staal-Fast
Lorentz/??-Drury-Martinook

Slavin-TDA
Chychrun-Pesce
Zadorov-Chatfield

Andersen
Raanta

That leaves just under $1M in Cap Space. :dunno:
I'd be cool with this in general. Palat will be more expensive than that though. Maybe swap out Palat for Kuzmenko and also bring back Bear, plus that could give us some deadline flexibility for a heavily retained center option if JK isn't cutting it as the #2. Could also get rid of Raanta and have Pyotr or Mak as the #2. I like Raanta but even as a backup we can't trust his health as we saw these playoffs.

But I think that roster as you have it is an upgrade on this season.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Isn’t it 120% for any contract signed after 2020?
Just now got to properly decipher what those MOU clauses were about:

In 2020 MOU, they gave a new rule that if the QO would be (courtesy of exceptionally high base salary in the final year) higher than 120 % of the AAV of the expiring SPC, the team would be allowed to qualify the player with a QO that is at least 120 % of the AAV. So the QO could be 120 % of the AAV or higher.

In the new new 2021 rule that you quoted, they essentially removed the "or higher", and from now on the QO for exceptionally back-loaded expiring SPCs will be exactly 120 % of the AAV, no lower, no higher.

For normal expriring SPCs, the QO is still 100 % of final year base salary (if 1M+) or 105 % (less than 1M).

So looks like in 2020 they helped out the teams by making the QO lower in these special cases, and in 2021 they removed the possibility that the teams could use back-loaded contracts with silly QO to circumvent the cap rule by artificially lowering the AAV of the SPC that comes before the QO-based one year high salary SPC.

Behold, the Timo Meier special with 10M QO after his 6M AAV contract:

SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
Tooltip
AAV
Tooltip
P. BONUSES
Tooltip
S. BONUSES
Tooltip
BASE SALARY
Tooltip
TOTAL SALARY
Tooltip
MINORS SAL
Tooltip
2019-20$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,300,000$700,000$4,000,000$4,000,000
2020-21$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,300,000$700,000$4,000,000$4,000,000
2021-22$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$2,000,000$4,000,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
2022-23$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$0$10,000,000$10,000,000$10,000,000
TOTAL$24,000,000$24,000,000$0$8,600,000$15,400,000$24,000,000$24,000,000

Last edited:
Reactions: Stickpucker

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
There has been some discussion about that over on the Tampa board. Some were even willing to trade out Sergachev in order to make that happen.
That would make some sense. They lose Serg next year no matter what, so if they trade him this summer for futures, they can use those futures at the deadline next year to win it all again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Edit: We should trade for him this year. He'd look great next to Slavin.

Slavin - Serg
Skjei - Pesce
Blah - Blah

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
How many Tampa players have signed for less than they could have gotten elsewhere? Gotta believe that retaining those guys played a big part in their success. On a related note, gotta wonder where the Leafs might be with the ability to upgrade the rest of their roster if their top players hadn't squeezed every last penny they could out of the organization, lol.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
How many Tampa players have signed for less than they could have gotten elsewhere? Gotta believe that retaining those guys played a big part in their success. On a related note, gotta wonder where the Leafs might be with the ability to upgrade the rest of their roster if their top players hadn't squeezed every last penny they could out of the organization, lol.
Great team
Sold out arena
Great Weather
No taxes
Relatively inexpensive living costs

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Tampa and Raleigh cost of living fairly equal.

Several sites have cost of living comparisons if you want to noodle around to other nhl cities. ..

according to capfriendly's income tax calculator:

A 5 mil contract for the Hurricanes would take home 2.626 million
A 5 mil contract for the Lightning would take home 2.828 million

the difference being the 5.5% state tax.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigurd and DaveG

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the fanbase is insane right now. on a twitter discussion for alex debrincat, someone said that necas, suzuki, and a 1st would be a competitive offer. i didn't have the heart to say anything directly to them, but they would be mortified to know that chicago would ask for jarvis as a non-starter in a package that would still include necas and a gob of other assets. plus, suzuki is about as close to washed out as a prospect can be with that eye injury. even in this thread there are some highly questionable takes regarding necas' trade value. he's an enigma right now and someone is going to assume a lot of risk on a deal for him unless they can work out a bridge that makes sense.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Sn article excerpt:

“The Chicago Sun-Times indicated the New Jersey Devils are "presumed leading contenders" for DeBrincat, and that their No. 2 overall pick could be the key piece coming back. It's certainly a piece the Devils seem open to dealing. Prior to the draft lottery, GM Tom Fitzgerald said he was "open to whatever to help our team improve."

"If that is using a pick like that, wherever it may be, to help bring in a player that we know and feel will help impact the results that we are looking for, absolutely," he added.

That would allow the Hawks to nab one of Shane Wright, Logan Cooley or Juraj Slafkovsky.

The Sun-Times also mentions the Philadelphia Flyers (No. 5 overall), Ottawa Senators (No. 7 overall), NY Islanders (No. 13 overall) and Los Angeles Kings (No. 19 overall) as possible suitors.”

Reactions: Lempo and DaveG

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
DeBrincat for 2nd Overall + another 1-2 futures makes too much sense if NJ is dangling that pick. Carolina can't compete with that offer.

The articles reporting Chicago trading DeBrincat say that they are gunning for Michkov or Bedard. If that is the case then Carolina may have a better shot at Patrick Kane. I'd be surprised if he wanted to stick around for the tank year and his NMC might make him more affordable (if he would waive for Carolina).

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
the fanbase is insane right now. on a twitter discussion for alex debrincat, someone said that necas, suzuki, and a 1st would be a competitive offer. i didn't have the heart to say anything directly to them, but they would be mortified to know that chicago would ask for jarvis as a non-starter in a package that would still include necas and a gob of other assets. plus, suzuki is about as close to washed out as a prospect can be with that eye injury. even in this thread there are some highly questionable takes regarding necas' trade value. he's an enigma right now and someone is going to assume a lot of risk on a deal for him unless they can work out a bridge that makes sense.
I don't think there are questions about Necas's value to other teams. But I think there are legitimate debates about Necas's worth to this team vs that potential return, and I don't think he can return value comparable to his capabilities this off-season.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
DeBrincat for 2nd Overall + another 1-2 futures makes too much sense if NJ is dangling that pick. Carolina can't compete with that offer.

The articles reporting Chicago trading DeBrincat say that they are gunning for Michkov or Bedard. If that is the case then Carolina may have a better shot at Patrick Kane. I'd be surprised if he wanted to stick around for the tank year and his NMC might make him more affordable (if he would waive for Carolina).
interesting. I thought recently that trading for Kane could be the piece to get Carolina over the hump. Lets see what the Borg does. If Rod had influence this year and convinced mgmt the roster was fine, I doubt that happens again. Dundon wants a cup and seems to be a very decisive guy, hence Francis being shown the door several years ago. I would not be shocked if the Borg "go for it" in a big way.

I don't think there are questions about Necas's value to other teams. But I think there are legitimate debates about Necas's worth to this team vs that potential return, and I don't think he can return value comparable to his capabilities this off-season.
On the fence about Necas but leaning to trade him. He is what he is. Perimeter player who is a great passer, ok stickhandler, ok instincts and avg finisher.

Reactions: SoupNazi and DaveG

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
interesting. I thought recently that trading for Kane could be the piece to get Carolina over the hump. Lets see what the Borg does. If Rod had influence this year and convinced mgmt the roster was fine, I doubt that happens again. Dundon wants a cup and seems to be a very decisive guy, hence Francis being shown the door several years ago. I would not be shocked if the Borg "go for it" in a big way.

On the fence about Necas but leaning to trade him. He is what he is. Perimeter player who is a great passer, ok stickhandler, ok instincts and avg finisher.

I said this before I think TD is all for trying to prove he is not cheap that he put us up against the cap last year just to be a cap team again. I think this year while I agree he is going to push for a cup they will play it a little more safe in the off season to allow cap flexibility at the TDL.

Reactions: SoupNazi and DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Kane is a bigger money commitment than Forsberg would be. Kane is the better player, no doubt, but I don't want to pay what it would cost to get Kane unless there's a long term deal in place. When you factor the acquisition cost in, I'd rather make a big play for Forsberg.

That said, the idea of Kane on this roster does make me drool a little bit...

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Kane is a bigger money commitment than Forsberg would be. Kane is the better player, no doubt, but I don't want to pay what it would cost to get Kane unless there's a long term deal in place. When you factor the acquisition cost in, I'd rather make a big play for Forsberg.

That said, the idea of Kane on this roster does make me drool a little bit...

Kane + Aho would be sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad