GDT: U18 Semifinals (USA-SVK, CAN-SWE)

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
Much more competitive first period than I expected. First few minutes Slovaks struggled to string two passes together and US capitalized for an early goal. Then the Pobezal line had a very good shift which seems to have got the boys going and it's been a pretty even affair since then with both teams getting some looks and trading a pair of goals.

Eiserman made it 2-0 on a powerplay and then Nemec put SVK on the board when he banged home a rebound off of Pitka's shot.

Last edited:

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
That was a classic Nemec goal :)

Usually its Chrenko who shoots low on the pads and Nemec scores from the rebound.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Slovakia needed to come out of the intermission better than this, big powerplay coming after the American goal.

I really like Hagens' game. He's a bit casual but he's smart and has good tools.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Penalty called back, good job by refs
I’d say borderline under today’s IIHF rules. Similar hits were called in other games as penalties. Anyway, brutal for Slovakia to have been on a PK instead, I understand players want to be tough when they think their mate was fouled, but that was not tactical.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like the IIHF has improved a bit with some of the bad penalties getting called back in recent years. It's a good thing.

This game looks over now but I do enjoy some Saturday morning games. Might watch the other semi-final later too.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I’d say borderline under today’s IIHF rules. Similar hits were called in other games as penalties. Anyway, brutal for Slovakia to have been on a PK instead, I understand players want to be tough when they think their mate was fouled, but that was not tactical.
It was an unecessary hit but clean by all standards. Not interference, not a hit from behind, no head contact. They could have left it at 2 minutes for something like roughing so it would be offsetting penalties.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
It was an unecessary hit but clean by all standards. Not interference, not a hit from behind, no head contact. They could have left it at 2 minutes for something like roughing so it would be offsetting penalties.
Borderline late hit if you read the IIHF rules on late hits. Again I emphasise borderline, after all it was called first and then reviewed.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like the IIHF has improved a bit with some of the bad penalties getting called back in recent years. It's a good thing.

This game looks over now but I do enjoy some Saturday morning games. Might watch the other semi-final later too.
They did update their rulebook to allow for more reviews (amongst many other things) 2-3 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad