Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
We still have Wheelers buyout on the books for next year so I think we only have 1 more buyout we can make.

Yeah we made out a lot better than we should have. Rangers had us bent over a barrel and took it pretty easy on us. They could have taken us to the cleaners in that trade a lot more than they did.
mmmm not really. Jets could have just gone own-rental with Trouba. Rangers gave up a late first in a not-so deep draft and got rid of a defenseman coming off a very underwhelming season.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I’d love to have Nelson on the Jets, but I think from their perspective they want to add Ehlers to their forward group. Subtracting Nelson is just shuffling the deck.
That is very logical and probable. I'm reading a lot of Islanders comments about moving on from some of their older core, and Pulock and Nelson are mentioned a lot, but what fans say and what teams really do are very different things.

If Ehlers isn't extended and a trade like this for a RD is found, maybe the Jets could send Pionk somewhere in a separate deal (after re-signing Demelo), and possibly re-sign Monahan as well. I'm a little worried about Monahan long term, but it's an option.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
mmmm not really. Jets could have just gone own-rental with Trouba. Rangers gave up a late first in a not-so deep draft and got rid of a defenseman coming off a very underwhelming season.

We weren't doing any damage in that years playoffs either way. Would have been no point in keeping Trouba.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But Risto is 6'4, 220.

I would happily trade Pionk for a pocket skate sharpener, if we could get that much.
fair point on the size.
id still say there's some d men of similar stature as pionk that have gone for positive returns. not expecting any thing substantial but just don't think he's a "pay to get rid of" guy

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Pionk is easily movable the talk of buying him out is crazy even if they just wanted to clear some cap space someone would absolutely take him at 30% retention for a mid round pick. I dont really see a path to that making the Jets a better team but the idea that he has absolutely no value I think is wrong.

The other option would be to move him for another player that doesn't fit in their current situation. People are mentioning Risto as a comparable to Pionk for trade value heck if you went to Philly and offered a Pionk for Risto @ 25% ish retention I think Philly takes that deal in a heartbeat.

Not advocating for that trade in particular just using it as a gauge of value.

Reactions: Orrrules

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Pionk is easily movable the talk of buying him out is crazy even if they just wanted to clear some cap space someone would absolutely take him at 30% retention for a mid round pick. I dont really see a path to that making the Jets a better team but the idea that he has absolutely no value I think is wrong.

The other option would be to move him for another player that doesn't fit in their current situation. People are mentioning Risto as a comparable to Pionk for trade value heck if you went to Philly and offered a Pionk for Risto @ 25% ish retention I think Philly takes that deal in a heartbeat.

Not advocating for that trade in particular just using it as a gauge of value.
Pionk puts up a decent amount of points. He's on the 2nd powerplay unit here too, so most of his points are even strength. Top 50 in defensemen points over the last 3 years with 100 points even (right around 50 in all three years individually, so he's consistent). So boxcars look pretty good and he's a breakeven GF-GA at 5v5 (and was +9 in regular 5v5 this year). And he's pesky. AND he's natural on the right side.

If the Jets wanted to move him, I'm sure there would be a few takers...but I don't think they want to move him.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
If the Jets wanted to move him, I'm sure there would be a few takers...but I don't think they want to move him.

I agree I honestly don't see them moving him. I think they plan to play him with Snerg and start that as the P2.

I'd guess the plan is to go out and try to get the best possible defensive D they can. If that player is better than Demelo then he plays with Morrissey on P1 and Demelo plays with Ville. If he's not as good then whomever he is plays with Ville. I think either way the hope would be that the Ville & XXXX pair becomes your 2nd pair over the course of the year dropping Snerg & Pionk down to the 3rd pair.

Folks are not going to like that but I think it is by far the most likely outcome.

Reactions: Cypruss

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Pionk puts up a decent amount of points. He's on the 2nd powerplay unit here too, so most of his points are even strength. Top 50 in defensemen points over the last 3 years with 100 points even (right around 50 in all three years individually, so he's consistent). So boxcars look pretty good and he's a breakeven GF-GA at 5v5 (and was +9 in regular 5v5 this year). And he's pesky. AND he's natural on the right side.

As frustrated as I have been with Pionk he still has a lot of positive attributes and he's due for a rebound.

I'm fine with him playing out his contract here but ideally I'd like to see him get less ice time and some softer matchups

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
As frustrated as I have been with Pionk he still has a lot of positive attributes and he's due for a rebound.

I'm fine with him playing out his contract here but ideally I'd like to see him get less ice time and some softer matchups
The weird thing about Pionk is that he has been really good in the past for stretches

As you mentionned, he has good attributes. He skates well and has some grit/compete/physicality. His major f*** ups this year were more mental than anything. Terrible reads with the puck, blowing coverage, etc.

Maybe he'll bounce back. Or maybe he'll get worse lol

• Haha
Reactions: Dale53130 and Jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The weird thing about Pionk is that he has been really good in the past for stretches

As you mentionned, he has good attributes. He skates well and has some grit/compete/physicality. His major f*** ups this year were more mental than anything. Terrible reads with the puck, blowing coverage, etc.

Maybe he'll bounce back. Or maybe he'll get worse lol

He hasn't been good for years now though. I'm not holding my breath. To me he doesn't process the game quick enough which is why he struggled despite busting his ass.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
fair point on the size.
id still say there's some d men of similar stature as pionk that have gone for positive returns. not expecting any thing substantial but just don't think he's a "pay to get rid of" guy

I'm not really sure. With salary retention he might bring a small return. His contract distorts our view of him to some extent. Also, does he perform better lower on the depth chart playing against lesser opposition?

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not really sure. With salary retention he might bring a small return. His contract distorts our view of him to some extent. Also, does he perform better lower on the depth chart playing against lesser opposition?

I like KC with Perfetti on line 2 because he is more of a driver on that line and forechecks and hounds pucks much more aggressively. The same was true when he was playing with PLD. We need that version of KC, not the version that seems content to let his linemates do most of the heavy lifting while he looks for soft ice. The results are there for them as well, 60 gf% with a 55 xgf% in 300 minutes together. Honestly of Fly is back we should have the following duos Scheifele/Ehlers and Perfetti/Connor. Both duos perform incredibly well together. Fit in Gabe and whoever else is here for the top 6.

I get it thay most believe he'll be attached to Mark's hip again but imo it's not the best use of him.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To the best of my knowledge Toews hasn't retired as of yet. If he's healthy and he wants another go of things I'd consider bringing him in on a one year incentive laden contract. Perhaps this group needs someone like him in the room to help them perform in the playoffs.

Reactions: KingBogo

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
He hasn't been good for years now though. I'm not holding my breath. To me he doesn't process the game quick enough which is why he struggled despite busting his ass.
I agree with this.

If he were to get his minutes scaled back being on the 3rd pairing, it might be enough of a reduction for him to play more effectively on both of the 2nd specialty teams units. I think he plays too many minutes as is, and tries to do too much. I thought in his first couple of years with the team, he played within himself.

I know that this next point will get lost on people, but overlooking his obvious bombing in the playoffs, he does offer a certain attitude that playoff teams need. He gets in opposing team's faces, goes for the big hits, laughs while getting punched in the face, etc. I thought that he was the only guy doing that. I do think you need guys with those characteristics come playoff time, it's just a very tough sell based on his performance.

A more focused role for him, he could turn it around.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree with this.

If he were to get his minutes scaled back being on the 3rd pairing, it might be enough of a reduction for him to play more effectively on both of the 2nd specialty teams units. I think he plays too many minutes as is, and tries to do too much. I thought in his first couple of years with the team, he played within himself.

I know that this next point will get lost on people, but overlooking his obvious bombing in the playoffs, he does offer a certain attitude that playoff teams need. He gets in opposing team's faces, goes for the big hits, laughs while getting punched in the face, etc. I thought that he was the only guy doing that. I do think you need guys with those characteristics come playoff time, it's just a very tough sell based on his performance.

A reduction in role might help if it allows him to focus better. Lesser comp likely allows him more time to go through his progressions more easily and improve his breakouts.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I agree with this.

It really was strange when we benched a bunch of D down the stretch except Pionk... out of anyone he looked overwhelmed by that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad