Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I look at organizations like Carolina and Seattle with envy wondering why the Jets can't be like them. Look at Carolina's draft record, they have full selection of picks almost every draft and often more.

In the last 5 years Carolina has made 50 draft picks, the Jets have made 25 in the same period. People say that the Jets can't sign UFAs, if that's the case why are they so casual with their picks and not optimizing in the one spot that they can to acquire talent?

2-3 years from now some of these guys that were drafted in later rounds are gonna be making an impact for Carolina (some already have like that Russian defenseman drafted in the 3rd round who is destroying the KHL) and we are gonna wonder why we don't have late round success like Carolina.

One would need to make enough picks to find such guys. We have been way too callous throwing away picks, not just stuff the Hayes trade but the lower but non-zero impact wastage on guys like Eakin, Sanford, Stanley trade up.

Giving away picks has got to stop.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Chevy just made a huge trade that's going to change the look of this team. If Scheifele and Helly don't want to be here they will get traded too and Chevy will probably make good trades. Wheeler needs to go to change the dressing room though that's for sure.
He's changed the look but is it better? Right now Vilardi is a step down from Dubois, and Iafallo is a step down from Wheeler, in terms of scoring. Kupari replaces Maenalanen as our designated non-scoring 4th line Finn.

Chevy as much as confirmed at the draft that any offers that have been made for Scheif and Helly are lacking and I fully expect both to be back. The demand for these two just isn't there.

What's left for the retool beyond the usual minor tweaking? Bubble it was last year, bubble it will be again.

I look at organizations like Carolina and Seattle with envy wondering why the Jets can't be like them. Look at Carolina's draft record, they have full selection of picks almost every draft and often more.

In the last 5 years Carolina has made 50 draft picks, the Jets have made 25 in the same period. People say that the Jets can't sign UFAs, if that's the case why are they so casual with their picks and not optimizing in the one spot that they can to acquire talent?

2-3 years from now some of these guys that were drafted in later rounds are gonna be making an impact for Carolina (some already have like that Russian defenseman drafted in the 3rd round who is destroying the KHL) and we are gonna wonder why we don't have late round success like Carolina.

One would need to make enough picks to find such guys. We have been way too callous throwing away picks, not just stuff the Hayes trade but the lower but non-zero impact wastage on guys like Eakin, Sanford, Stanley trade up.

If only we could have had a GM like Don Waddell. :sarcasm:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn't put money on either Scheifele or Helle being traded, more likely the Jets make a few minor moves in hopes of making the playoffs because quite frankly this organization seems to be happy just making the playoffs. On the other hand losing both of them to free agency for nothing will decimate this franchise. You can't make the same mistake the Flames made will Gaudreau.
Agreed. They need to be traded or signed. There should be no middle ground IMO. And I hate the idea of waiting to the TDL for several reasons. First off it will make for a very unsettled year, when the organization needs stability more than anything. Also if we are in a playoff position at the TDL they both become own rentals, since there is no way they get traded then, and we get no return. Even worse one or both gets injured and we miss the playoffs and get nothing. IMO Chevy needs to deal with the situation now, just like he did with PLD.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I don't blame the solely GM for this (although the buck stops with him), it is an organization level attitude. Carolina is an organization that understands they are a small market that's not a prime destination and have guys asking out (like Fox).

But Carolina has internalized that and accepted that and instead of "woe is me, what can we do if no one wants to play here" they have shaped their entire strategy around it.

Jets on the other hand behave like a median NHL team in how they handle their assets (mainly picks but some prospects too). The Jets give up assets for rentals including 1st and 2nd round picks. Carolina has never given up a 1st/2nd for a rental in 15 years. Carolina aggressively makes creative moves to acquire more picks such as trading down or taking on cap for a high pick when they can (they got Jarvis as a result of Toronto's 1st rounder which they got for taking over 1 year of Marleau), we seem allergic to it.

It is not just the GM it is the entire org starting from the owner downwards. Carolina owner is onboard and the message flows down from all the way making the entire org pull in the same direction.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed. They need to be traded or signed. There should be no middle ground IMO. And I hate the idea of waiting to the TDL for several reasons. First off it will make for a very unsettled year, when the organization needs stability more than anything. Also if we are in a playoff position at the TDL they both become own rentals, since there is no way they get traded then, and we get no return. Even worse one or both gets injured and we miss the playoffs and get nothing. IMO Chevy needs to deal with the situation now, just like he did with PLD.
Agree especially if one or both of them have told Chevy they want a trade.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I doubt helle or Mark will be back to start without extensions in place. U know technically the off season begins July 1. I really think FA frenzy for the jets could be interesting this year. I think they make some moves then as if you look at rhe available ufas, it's shit

55 is the best center. But his price is 6.2t or whatever. Helle the best goalie. Same price. Guys who are worse gonna get more from dumb teams.

The Hellebuyck situation tho is urgent imo more so than 55s.

We need a goalie for next year. July 1 a bunch become free agents. Do we sign one? Do we get one in a helle trade? Or Mark trade with Boston maybe?

We need a goalie. It won't be helle unless he changes his mind on signing here, which I don't think he will. He won't. If it's true he wants to go to the US, you need to move him ASAP.

Wheeler buyout then helle trade then Mark trade

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He's changed the look but is it better? Right now Vilardi is a step down from Dubois, and Iafallo is a step down from Wheeler, in terms of scoring. Kupari replaces Maenalanen as our designated non-scoring 4th line Finn.

Chevy as much as confirmed at the draft that any offers that have been made for Scheif and Helly are lacking and I fully expect both to be back. The demand for these two just isn't there.

What's left for the retool beyond the usual minor tweaking? Bubble it was last year, bubble it will be again.

This is a good point

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Winnipeg and Carolina have exactly the same number of drafted players on their roster...

Beyond that they have about 5 prospects that look like NHL players... about the same as the Jets

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Winnipeg and Carolina have exactly the same number of drafted players on their roster...

Beyond that they have about 5 prospects that look like NHL players... about the same as the Jets
I think it's good to have a lot of picks because it increases the chance that you hit. But it's very uncommon for a pick beyond around 40 or 45 to actually have an impact on an NHL roster. Most of Carolina's picks that make it to the NHL will end up on other team's rosters through waiver wires or cheap trades, because you can only have so many players in a pipeline, especially if you have a strong NHL roster. The Jets are already dealing with a glut on LHD in their prospect pipeline.

So, it'll be interesting to see if having that many picks actually has much impact for the Canes. It's probably better to have one or two impact players from the first (and maybe 2nd round) in each draft than to have a bunch of darts where maybe 1 in 20 has a half-decent NHL career.

As an example, the Canes had 12 picks in 2019. At this point it doesn't look like any of them will have a key role on their roster.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This draft was bonkers. Nobody was trading away picks. Maybe they liked the draft prospects that much, or teams that might normally trade picks just don't have any roster / cap space that they want to give up for picks.

Chevy is probably going to keep trying to work on a Wheeler trade, and then buy him out close to the deadline if he can't make a deal.

Seems like the Scheifele and Hellebuyck trades will wait until after some of the free agency frenzy sorts out, and teams know where they stand in cap space and roster (especially in goal).

Chevy has no real reason to rush the Scheifele and Hellebuyck trades at this point, now that the draft is over.

As a general rule of thumb, GMs overvalue draft picks around the draft, and undervalue them close to the TDL. So I don't mind that Chevy didn't overpay value for picks at this point.

Completely agree 100%

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I had Scheif to Boston and Helle to NJD but I don't see it now really... Only way Scheif goes is if we get a guy like Mercer in a Helle trade...

I think Chevy runs it back... possibly even with Wheeler (hopefully not) - but again TNSE absolutely hates paying people for not working for them - they did it with Stu but then gave him a job

Summer moves
- Chevy signs Names or Bjugstad
- extend Nino
- signs all his RFAs
- waiver pick up in first month of season
...and that's all folks

We don't even trade Stanley... and lose someone to waivers... again.

I could see running the full season with Scheif and losing him for nothing because Chip wants to show loyalty

This is the Winnipeg way - hopefully Im wrong.
Starting to look this way.. it’s early but every year they say that “big changes” will happen only for a Chevy to run it back. How impactful will be an exodus of PLD and Wheeler?

Time will tell.

It still needs to be all 4, IMO

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This draft was bonkers. Nobody was trading away picks. Maybe they liked the draft prospects that much, or teams that might normally trade picks just don't have any roster / cap space that they want to give up for picks.

Chevy is probably going to keep trying to work on a Wheeler trade, and then buy him out close to the deadline if he can't make a deal.

Seems like the Scheifele and Hellebuyck trades will wait until after some of the free agency frenzy sorts out, and teams know where they stand in cap space and roster (especially in goal).

Chevy has no real reason to rush the Scheifele and Hellebuyck trades at this point, now that the draft is over.

As a general rule of thumb, GMs overvalue draft picks around the draft, and undervalue them close to the TDL. So I don't mind that Chevy didn't overpay value for picks at this point.

There were some 2nd rd trades made pretty cheaply. It would have been nice to acquire a 2nd b4 58 and get Dragicevic. Not sure of specifics of course.

A reason to move b4 FA frenzy is because some trade protections kick in that day.

Is Chevy going to wait until the TD to move either or both of Scheifele and Hellebuyck? Even though the return might be good at that time it would be future heavy. Chevy has indicated that he doesn't want futures. The Dubois return reinforces that.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
I don't blame the solely GM for this (although the buck stops with him), it is an organization level attitude. Carolina is an organization that understands they are a small market that's not a prime destination and have guys asking out (like Fox).

But Carolina has internalized that and accepted that and instead of "woe is me, what can we do if no one wants to play here" they have shaped their entire strategy around it.

Jets on the other hand behave like a median NHL team in how they handle their assets (mainly picks but some prospects too). The Jets give up assets for rentals including 1st and 2nd round picks. Carolina has never given up a 1st/2nd for a rental in 15 years. Carolina aggressively makes creative moves to acquire more picks such as trading down or taking on cap for a high pick when they can (they got Jarvis as a result of Toronto's 1st rounder which they got for taking over 1 year of Marleau), we seem allergic to it.

It is not just the GM it is the entire org starting from the owner downwards. Carolina owner is onboard and the message flows down from all the way making the entire org pull in the same direction.
Yet when I look at carolinas roster I see very free guys that that they drafted in the last eight years or so besides first round picks. They hit on a few guys years ago with different management. I see lots of free agents. Aho be be one of only ones.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't call this a retool. My understanding was that a retool was just a very abridged rebuild, where you draft high once or twice, and wait for the bad contracts to be off the books.

This seems more like a few big trades. And so far this might just be trading away one problem player.

If they don't get rid of scheifele this team is done.

If they get rid of bucky they either gotta rebuild or get an ok goalie back.

IDK that there is a clear understanding of the difference between a rebuild and a retool. Regardless of how many players are moved, I call it a retool if the returns sought are aimed at not being weaker, not aiming at a high lottery spot. A rebuild means trading for futures and climbing higher in the draft.

If Dubois and Wheeler are gone can we keep Scheifele and still have the culture change we need? If we keep Scheifele can we convince Helle to stay? Just asking. Most seem to be assuming that the answers to both are a clear NO. But are they correct in those assumptions? Written in stone correct?

Reactions: KingBogo

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
IDK that there is a clear understanding of the difference between a rebuild and a retool. Regardless of how many players are moved, I call it a retool if the returns sought are aimed at not being weaker, not aiming at a high lottery spot. A rebuild means trading for futures and climbing higher in the draft.

If Dubois and Wheeler are gone can we keep Scheifele and still have the culture change we need? If we keep Scheifele can we convince Helle to stay? Just asking. Most seem to be assuming that the answers to both are a clear NO. But are they correct in those assumptions? Written in stone correct?
No one here will have that answer. I just hope TNSE does.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
There were some 2nd rd trades made pretty cheaply. It would have been nice to acquire a 2nd b4 58 and get Dragicevic. Not sure of specifics of course.

A reason to move b4 FA frenzy is because some trade protections kick in that day.

Is Chevy going to wait until the TD to move either or both of Scheifele and Hellebuyck? Even though the return might be good at that time it would be future heavy. Chevy has indicated that he doesn't want futures. The Dubois return reinforces that.
the only trades I saw in the 2nd were redwings moving down 4 spots and picking up a 5th and we didn't have a 2nd to do that and the other one I saw was blackhawks trading 51 to the flyers for a 2nd in 24 + 167, the 2nd we have in next years draft could be in the 30's so I don't think that would have been wise to trade...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's exactly where I'm at. Wanting picks is fine but I don't want to acquire them now when their price is at their absolute highest. Also it's pretty telling when basically no teams traded high picks whatsoever.

That was yesterday. We're talking '24 picks now. Much cheaper. Not as cheap as at TD, but cheap.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

I've wondered since all we've been hearing on helle is that teams don't want to pay a goalie big money if he changes his mind on staying

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I had Scheif to Boston and Helle to NJD but I don't see it now really... Only way Scheif goes is if we get a guy like Mercer in a Helle trade...

I think Chevy runs it back... possibly even with Wheeler (hopefully not) - but again TNSE absolutely hates paying people for not working for them - they did it with Stu but then gave him a job

Summer moves
- Chevy signs Names or Bjugstad
- extend Nino
- signs all his RFAs
- waiver pick up in first month of season
...and that's all folks

We don't even trade Stanley... and lose someone to waivers... again.

I could see running the full season with Scheif and losing him for nothing because Chip wants to show loyalty

This is the Winnipeg way - hopefully Im wrong.

Yes, hope you're wrong. But you could be right.

For Schiefele, yes ... but do goalies often get traded as rentals at the TDL? I can't think of any in recent memory. Seems like if a team is playoff bound they'll usually already have a goalie they're happy with.

For me the real problem with holding onto them until the TDL is that we'd then most likely be within striking distance of the playoffs and then Chevy will just keep both as "own rentals" then we lose both for nothing on July 1st.

That scenario could happen if they keep both. If they move one and keep the other, I don't think we will be that close to a PO position.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've wondered since all we've been hearing on helle is that teams don't want to pay a goalie big money if he changes his mind on staying

I don't know if that talk is correct or not. A lot of it is just fan talk.
But I agree that it is a worthwhile question. If they really don't want to pay and Jets will he has to consider it. How much money might he pass on for a real chance at a Cup?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I don't know if that talk is correct or not. A lot of it is just fan talk.
But I agree that it is a worthwhile question. If they really don't want to pay and Jets will he has to consider it. How much money might he pass on for a real chance at a Cup?
this is being said by pretty much every insider and has been repeated several times that once helle's contract ask came out it cooled the market

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad