Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't think Roger should play the clay season. He looked tired during parts of his last 2 matches.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't think Roger should play the clay season. He looked tired during parts of his last 2 matches.
The result today likely put a damper on any thoughts he might have had about playing the clay court season (though I still think that he will play at Roland Garros).

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Miami points are off today in the live rankings. So Nadal jumps slightly ahead of Federer (8770 to 8660) for the moment.

Felix underway in qualifying against Mackenzie McDonald.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix lost in a 3rd set TB. He had a MP but couldn't convert. Tough match.

He's off to Europe next for a clay CH in Spain. It's his favorite surface, so hopefully he can get some wins under his belt.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Federer still planning on playing Miami. Another 1000 points to defend.

Qualifying begins tomorrow. 6 Canadians looking to qualify (3 men 3 women). Felix looking to qualify for a second straight tournament. And Genie actually in qualifying. No WC this time :laugh:

Wouldn't surprise me if Fed loses earlier in Miami, although the heat and humidity aren't necessarily a bad thing for his sore muscles/back/etc.

No WC for Bouchard in her 'home' tournament? So much shade there. :P

Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Last edited:

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Happy for Delpo, he seems to have Roger's number in tight matches. It makes you think what could've been if not for injuries, I thought he was gonna be better than Novak back in 2008-2009. As for Roger, hard to feel sorry for him...his assault on the record books continues, he has Connors 109 titles in his sight (IIRC Connors won over half of his haul in 250's or below).

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Happy for Delpo, he seems to have Roger's number in tight matches. It makes you think what could've been if not for injuries, I thought he was gonna be better than Novak back in 2008-2009. As for Roger, hard to feel sorry for him...his assault on the record books continues, he has Connors 109 titles in his sight (IIRC Connors won over half of his haul in 250's or below).
Connors didn't have t he depth of field to contend with either.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fate has a strange sense of humour. First round match up at Miami between two unseeded players: Serena Williams versus Naomi Osaka.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Naomi, making some brilliant shots and orchestrating some brilliant points, is having her way with Serena, 6-3 with two service breaks. So far, Osaka hasn't skipped a beat from Indian Wells. She may never lose again for the next ten years. :laugh:

2nd set: Early break for Osaka, 3-1. Serena has decided to up the power but that also ups the margin for error....a faltering Williams gets blown away, 6-2. She did everything but concede her last service game, but to that point she has only managed one unconverted break point against Osaka's serve all day. The scary thing with Naomi is that you can see how with confidence she has just a ton of ceiling left.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip The Third

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Naomi, making some brilliant shots and orchestrating some brilliant points, is having her way with Serena, 6-3 with two service breaks. So far, Osaka hasn't skipped a beat from Indian Wells. She may never lose again for the next ten years. :laugh:

2nd set: Early break for Osaka, 3-1. Serena has decided to up the power but that also ups the margin for error....a faltering Williams gets blown away, 6-2. She did everything but concede her last service game, but to that point she has only managed one unconverted break point against Osaka's serve all day. The scary thing with Naomi is that you can see how with confidence she has just a ton of ceiling left.

I could only catch it at 3-2 first set.

There were a few moments in the match where you thought Serena could get back in it but then Osaka completely shut her down with 3-4 huge serves.

Some people call Osaka baby Serena. Osaka has that natural power where she can unleash canon shots and it doesn't even look hard for her.

Osaka's level is way above what almost anyone on the current WTA can offer. It will be interesting to see how long Osaka stays that calm, cool, collected and in the zone. Been a big fan of Osaka for the past 2 years. Always fun to witness the emergence of a player you've followed from his/her beginnings.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shapovalov is off to a great start, taking the first set 6-3 from Troicki. Everything is working nicely, and he is dominating Troicki's second serve, though Viktor's mediocre first serve is still giving him fits (Denis is losing 91% of those).

After a second set tie breaker that wasn't all that necessary, Shapovalov ran out to a 5-1 lead in the third set only to have to eventually win a nail biter of a tie breaker, 8-6. Not what anybody would call a clean kill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Glad to see Shapovalov pull that one out, that was nearly disastrous. I'm sure his confidence was shaken after failing to serve it out the first time, and then he really went of the rails when his 2nd chance to serve it out came about.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
De Minaur looked lacklustre losing in straight sets to another good young player Nishioka. Despite DeMinaur's quickness and ability to place balls anywhere on court, his relative lack of pace might end up being his Achilles Heel.

Kuhn beat Barbados' #1 Darian King which, I guess, is what you are supposed to do against the best player from Barbados. Nicola will never be accused of lacking pace. His groundstrokes are hellacious. He does employ topspin but not much and of the low and hard variety. If he has an Achilles Heel, it might be his lack of margin of error over the net. Still, he is a young guy with young reflexes, so he will be definitely a lot of fun to watch his game develop.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Is there a more frustrating player to watch on a frequent basis than Madison Keys? (I switched "consistent" in that statement to "frequent" when I realized that it was a disservice to language to use "consistent" in the same sentence with "Madison Keys").

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Is there a more frustrating player to watch on a frequent basis than Madison Keys? (I switched "consistent" in that statement to "frequent" when I realized that it was a disservice to language to use "consistent" in the same sentence with "Madison Keys."

Reactions: Evil Speaker

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Osaka finally returned to earth against Svitolina, 4 and 2. Just think what she can do if she ever gets a normal draw.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Is anyone watching Djokovic/Paire? What is wrong with Djokovic? He was just called a shell of who he was and I have to agree, no fire, serving to stay in the set at 40-0 and he loses the game with 5 points in a row going to Paire, the last one on a really weak backhand into the net.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He's coming off a long layoff but you definitely start to wonder if we'll ever see the old Djokovic again. Beginning to think we won't.

Vasek getting blown off the court by Rublev at the moment. Vasek definitely dealing with some kind of pain.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
He's coming off a long layoff but you definitely start to wonder if we'll ever see the old Djokovic again. Beginning to think we won't.

Vasek getting blown off the court by Rublev at the moment. Vasek definitely dealing with some kind of pain.

Djokovic is a strange one. It's one thing to be rusty but it seems like his mind is anywhere but on the court.

Pospisil down a double break. He hits way too many shots off his back foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad