Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread iX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
If he was born in Canada people would never question this. Because he's an immigrant, even though he was 3, and because he resides in Monte Carlo, at least one person on his FB page was giving him **** about his commitment to Canada. The only thing that annoyed me was him taking Vasek as his doubles partner for the Olympics from Nestor, then bailing on the Olympics. I don't buy the Zika virus as the reason, I think it was the schedule. Rogers Cup would obviously be more important to him, especially in Toronto, and something had to give. It worked out for Nestor but I wonder if there are any bad feelings.

Completely agree with this. I think Zika was a convenient excuse because the optics otherwise would not have been great.

This is also the first year he will not be playing any DC tie since he first started playing Davis Cup in 2010, so he most definitely get s a pass, especially since there are still question about physical readiness.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Draw is done for Davis Cup and matches are set (Canada is in the WG Playoffs in Chile in Halifax). First match tomorrow at 1 or 2 EST.

R1: Dancevic vs Garin
R2: Pospisil vs Jarry
R3: Pospisil/Shamasdin vs Jarry/Castillo
R4: Pospisil vs Garin
R5: Dancevic vs Jarry

No Raonic or Nestor but Canada should be the favorites.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Murray/Del Potro battle in the SF. About to go into a 5th set.

Del Potro gets it done.

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Dancevic broken serving for the second set. Still up a set though, but on serve in the 2nd now. He breaks right back though and has a 2nd chance to serve for the 2nd set. Dancevic borken again and we have a tie-break (3 breaks in a row). :facepalm: up 5-1 in the break and then loses 6 straight points to lose the second set. Level at 1 set a piece now.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Great job by the Canadian boys! And I guess Denis gets to wet his feet tomorrow.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Davis Cup WG 2017 draw just finished. Canada draws the Brits.

Not too bad. Definitely tough.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
That will be a tough tie. Murray will likely get both his, unless Raonic somehow solves his Murray problem. So the Doubles will be a required win for Canada, and then the matches against GBs #2.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not watching because I don't think it's on any station in Canada (it's a 250 TSN only has rights to 500 and up, and Sportsnet doesn't seem to care anymore), and I hate to claim 'injury' whenever Raonic loses to a lower ranked player, but I wonder if there is still issues with Raonic.

He cruised in the first set to take it 6-2 dropping only 2 points on serve. However in the second set he was broken wil serving for the match TWICE, and then was up 5-1 in the tie-breaker only to lose the breaker 8-6.

Then in the third set got broken at 4 all, and Youzhny is now serving for the match. He's had 8 DFs, only 1 in the first set. Youzhny wins it. 10 BPs in the 3rd set alone that Raonic couldn't convert.

At least I won't have to worry about trying to catch updates on him this weekend when at the scout camp with my son.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm not watching because I don't think it's on any station in Canada (it's a 250 TSN only has rights to 500 and up, and Sportsnet doesn't seem to care anymore), and I hate to claim 'injury' whenever Raonic loses to a lower ranked player, but I wonder if there is still issues with Raonic.

He cruised in the first set to take it 6-2 dropping only 2 points on serve. However in the second set he was broken wil serving for the match TWICE, and then was up 5-1 in the tie-breaker only to lose the breaker 8-6.

Then in the third set got broken at 4 all, and Youzhny is now serving for the match. He's had 8 DFs, only 1 in the first set. Youzhny wins it. 10 BPs in the 3rd set alone that Raonic couldn't convert.

At least I won't have to worry about trying to catch updates on him this weekend when at the scout camp with my son.

The only comment I saw on twitter was that he looked rusty.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Raonic continues to have problems closing out matches. He was serving for the match at 5-3 two DFs and one flubbed shot later Mayer has the break back. Raonic takes the breaker 7-1 and wins the match.

Last edited:

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
I don't believe there's one person on the planet who thinks Sharapova took that drug accidentally.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The arrogance from her is astounding. Hasn't learned a thing.

Oh well, Dopeapova will have an asterisk next to her name in the record books. There's a reason why her peers can't stand her and nobody has come to her defense.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Raonic back into the top 5 after reaching the Beijing SF today. Helped by Nadal getting dominated by Dimitrov.

Could be top 4 if he gets to the finals.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Pospisil on a nice little run in Shanghai. Has Djokovic next, so it probably ends there.

Raonic back into the top 4 in the live rankings and could very well stay there since Nadal is on the ropes right now against Troicki.

And then there is Kyrgios...

What a clown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad