OT: All-Purpose Sports Thread II (NFL, MLB, NCAA, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
There are so many rest days in between games for the Raptors series. 3 two-day breaks. 19,22,25,27,30,2,4.

Is the NBA always like this?

littleD

For the 100th anniversary of the Copa America, which is the soccer championship for South America, the tournament will be played in the United States in 2016. First time the tournament is held outside of South America.

The 10 South American countries will join 6 from the CONCACAF federation. Canada has a chance to qualify if they can be one of the top four teams at the 2015 Gold Cup.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
There are so many rest days in between games for the Raptors series. 3 two-day breaks. 19,22,25,27,30,2,4.

Is the NBA always like this?

It has always been that way in the NBA. I don't know if it's a network issue or if there are other events going on in the arenas, but 2 days between games happens a lot.

The raptors are pretty banged up so the rest is good, though it also helps the old guys on the nets.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Short visit to the PGA for Fritsch, after shooting a 7 over 79, Brad withdrew, 3 other Canadians are in the Wells Fargo Championship.
David Hearn -2 tied for17th
Stephen Ames and Mike weir +2 tied for 48th.
7 Canadians in the Web Com tour, inclement weather has delayed the first round

cage

Apr 25, 2004
If any sports league is rigged it's the NBA. The refs have too much power and impact on the outcome of games

littleD

Helena Costa has been named as manager of Clermont Foot in the second divison of soccer in France.

French second-tier outfit Clermont Foot have announced that Portuguese manager Helena Costa will take over next season. Costa, 36, will become the first female coach of a French professional club.

Announcing the appointment on Wednesday, a statement on Clermont's website confirmed that Costa – who was most recently coach of the Iran women's team – will be introduced to the media after this season's final fixtures have been completed.

"Clermont Foot 63 has chosen Helena Costa to be our new coach," read the statement.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/07/helena-costa-clermont-foot-manager

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Look who played golf with Brad Fritsch at Augusta

BnEXgCgIYAAiLzU.jpg

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Mike Sam becomes the first openly gay (active) NFL player.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...afted-by-st-louis-rams-with-final-round-pick/

NEW YORK — Michael Sam was picked by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round of the NFL draft Saturday, becoming the first openly gay player drafted by a pro football team.

Apparently, requests for his jersey are unprecedented.

Dan Bernstein @dan_bernstein
Follow

Per source w/#NFL merchandising: Avalanche of Rams "Sam" jersey orders has them scrambling. Calls quantity "ridiculous." @YouCanPlayTeam

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
On one hand, its good to see a player have the courage to be the first openly gay player in such a large league.

On the other it's kind of sad that in 2014 this is still a big deal. Society has a long way to go

Honestly, If we passed on drafting a guy because he was gay, as what seems to have happened here, I would hope the whole management team would get canned. Blows my mind actual NFL management came out and said this lowers his draft stock, shame.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
The truth is that Sam is just not that good of a prospect.

He is an undersized DE with questionable athleticism and one good season to his name that will have to try to make the switch to LB in the NFL or eke out a living on special teams or as a situational pass rusher. He did not show that the LB position came naturally at the Senior Bowl. At 6'2 260ish, he had a 25 1/2 inch vert jump at the combine. For comparison sake, 300+ pound Vince Wilfork had a 26 in 2004. He ran a 4.9 40 which is not good for where he projects to play.

He improved on those numbers slightly during subsequent pro-days but probably just enough for teams to consider him as a late round flyer or a priority FA.

I'd be surprised if he made it out of camp.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He is an undersized DE with questionable athleticism and one good season to his name that will have to try to make the switch to LB in the NFL or eke out a living on special teams or as a situational pass rusher. He did not show that the LB position came naturally at the Senior Bowl. At 6'2 260ish, he had a 25 1/2 inch vert jump at the combine. For comparison sake, 300+ pound Vince Wilfork had a 26 in 2004. He ran a 4.9 40 which is not good for where he projects to play.

He improved on those numbers slightly during subsequent pro-days but probably just enough for teams to consider him as a late round flyer or a priority FA.

I'm not talking about his playing ability, I'm talking about NFL personnel and management not wanting to draft him because it would "throw off" the locker room, even calling football a "man's-man" game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140209/michael-sam-draft-stock/

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
People hold office North and South of the border who don't believe in basic civil rights for homosexuals, so I don't know why you'd be surprised that it would be much different in a sports league that features many criminals on and off the field.

The type of people who point to the sky after scoring a touchdown aren't usually going to be very welcoming to the sort of the thing they perceive as sin. The irony isn't lost on me, but you can sure as hell bet it is on them. What I find even more painfully ironic are black players who've come out against Sam. Its hard to stomach that.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

He has absolutely no chance of making it out of camp. The Rams have arguably the best D-line in the NFL: Quinn, Saffold, Donald, Long. Throw in the depth at the position, the fact that we're pretty strong at LB too, and the fact that he's raw, and there's a 0 per cent chance he makes it.

BUT, he'll be on a veteran squad that's very good at their job and working under a coach that will ensure as few distractions from football as possible. He's in a great position to learn the ropes and I could see him sticking on the practice roster.

As for "not that good of a prospect," though? He was the SEC defensive player of the year. He was the defensive player of the year in the BEST CONFERENCE IN COLLEGE SPORTS, and he's not that good of a prospect? The best year of his career was last year, and college football players tend to get better, not worse.

He wasn't first three or four round-caliber, of course. But he's an excellent project.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
He has absolutely no chance of making it out of camp. The Rams have arguably the best D-line in the NFL: Quinn, Saffold, Donald, Long. Throw in the depth at the position, the fact that we're pretty strong at LB too, and the fact that he's raw, and there's a 0 per cent chance he makes it.

BUT, he'll be on a veteran squad that's very good at their job and working under a coach that will ensure as few distractions from football as possible. He's in a great position to learn the ropes and I could see him sticking on the practice roster.

As for "not that good of a prospect," though? He was the SEC defensive player of the year. He was the defensive player of the year in the BEST CONFERENCE IN COLLEGE SPORTS, and he's not that good of a prospect? The best year of his career was last year, and college football players tend to get better, not worse.

He wasn't first three or four round-caliber, of course. But he's an excellent project.
Best 4-3 line probably.

I have a feeling that pretty soon a different team will have the best line, at least that runs a 3-4 scheme.

dm_140509_nfl_interview_clowney1437.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad