Speculation: All Purpose Pierre-Luc Dubois Discussion 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Aside from PLD specifics we saw it with Trouba and now with Laine and PLD. Im wondering if we are going to see more young star players demand trades to preferred destinations post ELC. In other sport players do this more often and it will be interesting to see if this happens more in the NHL.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Keeping a disgruntled player for years out of spite is moronic, especially for a franchise that appears to have major difficulty retaining talent in the first place. I would suggest CBJ try to get him to have a change of heart but if he's bent on leaving, best you can do is cut your losses and go for the best return you can. Forcing him to stay in CBJ for years is a disaster waiting to happen.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

YanniPodz

Jan 17, 2021
Keeping a disgruntled player for years out of spite is moronic, especially for a franchise that appears to have major difficulty retaining talent in the first place. I would suggest CBJ try to get him to have a change of heart but if he's bent on leaving, best you can do is cut your losses and go for the best return you can. Forcing him to stay in CBJ for years is a disaster waiting to happen.

So trading him for a lesser return thats going to hurt the team in the short and long run is smart?
what? lmao

YanniPodz

Jan 17, 2021
How good is PLD really? How good can he be ?
he was on a 57 point pace last year with most of the teams wingers playing under 50 games, theres a misconception that Panarin was a reason he was a 60 point player his age 20 season, but last year seems to have proven thats not the case. PLD is probably going to sit in that 70-80 point range for a couple seasons in the near future, but you should expect a 60 point pace, or close to it, at a minimum for a long time.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So trading him for a lesser return thats going to hurt the team in the short and long run is smart?
what? lmao

Nobody is saying this. I do think 'Equivalent, established 1C' is a complete pipe dream but blue-chip prospect/asset(s) doesn't have to make them worst in the long-run. It's hard to go further when we don't know the reason for his leaving but I think franchises like Columbus are a bit at the mercy of their elite talent and should keep that in consideration when building/dealing with them. Who knows what happened with Torts but a player coaches is what I look into consistently for a market like Columbus.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But he doesn't have to sign a contract, so Ottawa will be in the same boat as Columbus is right now.

Okay, so worse case scenario is you get PLD for two years and then get your value back on the next deal. That's not that big of a downside risk.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Team owner should have a 1 on 1 with PLD asking if he would stay if the coach is gone.
Chances of the issue NOT being the coach IMO is less than 10%.

PLD is no Tavares but is the face of the franchise along with Seth Jones.

Getting Kotkaneimi+ isnt that great.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Team owner should have a 1 on 1 with PLD asking if he would stay if the coach is gone.

Do we need a player that wants gone immediately something goes wrong? He ain’t a face of the franchise, he’s no McDavid, if he wants to leave, so be it. I am sure the Breadman also wanted a more offensive approach but he never complained

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
How good is PLD really? How good can he be ?
I think he can and will be (he is already) really good, but as a number two centre. As a Canuck’s fan I would be disappointed if Benning traded Horvat for PLD, but would accept it without getting my pitchfork.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
he was on a 57 point pace last year with most of the teams wingers playing under 50 games, theres a misconception that Panarin was a reason he was a 60 point player his age 20 season, but last year seems to have proven thats not the case. PLD is probably going to sit in that 70-80 point range for a couple seasons in the near future, but you should expect a 60 point pace, or close to it, at a minimum for a long time.
Do we need a player that wants gone immediately something goes wrong? He ain’t a face of the franchise, he’s no McDavid, if he wants to leave, so be it. I am sure the Breadman also wanted a more offensive approach but he never complained
He may not have complained but he was getting out of there as quick as he could .

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

sure, man. getting a young player with serious top 6 C potential who's still on his ELC for a player who wants out is nothing special. should go for those other offers like Strome or some prospect package from the Sens

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Of course not. But 'Eat dirt and play' is not a position that Columbus is in a position to hold. It would look awful.

I'm honestly not sure how much time they can keep him. At least this year, maybe two, unlikely three or four but the Jets did manage to hang on to Trouba for three years after his first trade request, and they still haven't moved Laine who has a more longstanding desire for a change of scenery.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Any rumors as to why he actually wants to leave? It can't just be that he wants a bigger stage right? He's getting #1C ice time and he's bound to get paid like one. Is it a Torts issue? Can any Jackets fans chime in?

If you watch his pressers he speaks emphatically about how much he wants the team to play a more open system. Basically he thinks Torts' system is holding the team back. We don't know if that is the main reason he has but it is the only bit of intel we have from him. Some anonymous player told Friedman that Dubois wanted a bigger stage but we have no idea if that was good information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad