Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 2 [NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco July 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
lucha underground is having their season finale in 4 parts, it started last week. thats where i am...

that killshot vs dante fox match... pretty insane. its a fun match.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
lucha underground is having their season finale in 4 parts, it started last week. thats where i am...

that killshot vs dante fox match... pretty insane. its a fun match.

I loved the first season of lucha then I just got busy and haven't watched since. I need to get back in it.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
it is what it is... the two parts of Ultima Lucha have been entretaining as hell so far. but its not for everybody Lucha Underground.

but came here to say wow to Kushida and Ospreay....

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
PArt 2 of Lucha Underground wasnt as f***ed up as the first part, but the mask vs hair match delivered. Fenix vs Marty the Moth...

part 3 tho..... Taya vs Sexy star last women standing was a bloody mess (fun, despite what has yet to happen with Sexy star.. cant say shes a terrible wrestler) and Pentagon vs Son of Havok ladder match were pretty damn fun. i understand this is taped, which means its heavily edited but too fun to watch when they're not wasting too much time, setting the spots. really good stuff...

part 4 next week.... mundo vs richochet... carrer vs title kinda obvious whats gonna happen here, but the match should be nuts

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Finally got through all of King of Pro Wrestling last night...another solid show but fairly predictable. Ospreay-Kushida was great. Okada-Evil was better than expected. Naito-Ishii was very good. The heavyweight tag 3-way was another spotfest but those guys seem to have solid chemistry.

Rapongi (sp) 3K beating Funky Future was a bit of a surprise. They (re)debut that team and hotshot them with the titles. I like that team though...they're fun. I liked that match.

What exactly are they doing with Baretta?

He's supposedly going to be in the heavyweight division. I see him as another midcard guy like Juice or Elgin. NJPW has a really solid midcard...I wouldn't consider that a slight. Kenny, Okada, Naito, Suzuki and Tanahashi are the top guys. Sabre Jr., Ishii, Goto, Evil, Elgin, Fale, Juice, etc. make up a solid midcard who can move up and challenge for the top belts.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Ultima Lucha Tres has been great so far. I'm hoping the finale gives the right amount of closure in case this is it. But these ~104-105 episodes are going to be something that people look back on for years and years.

Going to AAW tomorrow to see Day 2 of the Jim Lynam tournament. First time seeing a lot of these guys live - Fox, Cage, Fenix, Pentagon, Callihan, and Cobb (the monster Matanza Cueto!!!).

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
with Penta winning the gift of the gods is weird to know where they're heading....
we know he parted ways with AAA like last year, so im guessing theres still more episodes... either way with a show like this. it would be easy to write people off with a shit story line.

i also read that Psycho Clown (and or)Pagano might be appearing in LU... not sure of the source. but that would mean they're taping or at least thinking of continuing the show for now.

but again... i have no idea.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Random thought: Takahashi got a stuffed cat more over than WWE has got any of it's faces over. Daryl also has better psychology and sells better than many in WWE.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Question is...do they have jaded internet wrestling smarks in Japan that complain about certain guys not getting over?

NJPW is pretty much perfect. You don't get sick of the product with the weekly shows. They can still progress storylines with the multi-man tag undercard matches at their big live shows. They book the upsets in the G1 as a reason for giving guys title shot instead of ramming a guy down your throat. They don't kill you with constant rematches.

I love the long-term story arcs of guys like Naito and Okada where they make their match at WK12 a really big deal. Event though you could see that match coming from a mile away...the build is still well done. Okada is now the longest reigning champ so you could realistically see Naito going over but it's not a far gone conclusion because they've booked Okada as a very resilient champ. They had Kenny beat him in the G1 so that makes him vulnerable enough. Naito's character evolving from the guy that disrespected the fans and the IC belt is now over as a babyface and they've booked LIJ to be almost as cool as Bullet Club.

They do use the tag matches as a crutch but it makes those 1-on-1 encounters a big deal because they don't do that for every storyline. You don't have a bad commissioner or GM gimmick that books the matches in kayfabe during a show. You just get a card of matches for an event and you understand why they're booked based on previous shows. Two guys that will meet in a title match down the road is going to be in a series of tag matches as a build so they make the 1-on-1 match extra special.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I found someone who hooks me up with the big New Japan shows so I'm happy. If I had a computer/smart TV I'd subscribe to NJPW world for sure. Like $8 a month. ROH isn't perfect (The booking is iffy in spots) but I find it very enjoyable most of the time.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Yano vs Cobana was something... something...
the main event in Chicago for global Wars was such a party... fun to see Omega with his buddies.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Ibushi vs. Tanahashi (IC title match) is the main event for Power Struggle...November 5. Ospreay vs. Scurll (Jr. Heavyweight title match) and Suzuki vs. Yano (NEVER Open-weight title match) are the only other confirmed matches.

Wondered when they were going to do that IC title match. They've teased it since Destruction. Feels like a Wrestle Kingdom-quality matchup.

World Tag League basically closes out the year and then WK12 is just around the corner.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Lucha Underground finale... that curve ball with Puma beating Mundo. great match, only to have buddy cash in the gift of the gods.
I wouldnt have mind the typical overbooked thing that LU is, but isnt Penta out aswell?

Johny Mundoo said they were gonna tape season 4 in january,(X-Pac's podcast) but still not sure what future holds. this last episode was taped a year and a half ago and they havent worked since. but at least theres that.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
TNA is officially done with Jeff Jarrett and GFW. Again. 'Cos TNA is gonna TNA.

Looks like he got drunk at a show in Canada this past Friday.

"Jeff Jarrett allegedly passed out from drinking in a locker room at an indie show on Friday, then insisted on wrestling — and this video sadly shows he was in no condition to be in the ring.

Ewaschuk claims Jeff Jarrett continued to drink and ultimately passed out in the locker room during the show.

Before the match, Double J’s music hit for his entrance but the wrestler didn’t come out. His opponent then got on the microphone and said Jeff was upstairs getting drunk. Jeff finally hit the ring moments later and for about ten minutes the two wrestlers stalled for time."

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/jeff-jarrett-drunk-wrestling-video/#.We_p9miPKUk

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i love and hate to see footages of, once "big" wrestlers in no condition to work when they seem at the bottom...
would love to read all their books or hear their stories... preferably hear them, while drunk.
its like sad, but fascinating at the same time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad