Indy: All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread -- Part 2 [NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco July 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm aware of what Jericho said on his podcast. It may well be true, but it isn't as if Jericho is going to say anything negative about HHH in a public forum anyway given his position.
If he had beef with HHH I don't think he would hold it back. It's much more likely to think that any issues that these guys had with each other 15 years ago as workers is no longer an issue.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Scurll isn’t a focus in Japan. The only reason he won the title was so it made sense to put him in the 4-way.

I think Meltzer got it right, I had it exactly the same, aside from the rumble and gauntlet which I haven’t seen in its entirety. However I think Cody’s match with Ibushi was better than the one he had with Okada.
Oh, I totally get why Scurll didn't win, I just love him as a performer.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If he had beef with HHH I don't think he would hold it back. It's much more likely to think that any issues that these guys had with each other 15 years ago as workers is no longer an issue.

Jericho has every reason to hold it back if he wishes to have a productive relationship with WWE, an every indication is that he does. This doesn't mean that he is lying, but let's not pretend that the incentive isn't there for pretty much everyone to speak positively about HHH. Vince has proven that he will put things in the past for the sake of his business. It remains to be seen if HHH is the same.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Jericho has every reason to hold it back if he wishes to have a productive relationship with WWE, an every indication is that he does. This doesn't mean that he is lying, but let's not pretend that the incentive isn't there for pretty much everyone to speak positively about HHH. Vince has proven that he will put things in the past for the sake of his business. It remains to be seen if HHH is the same.

I think for the most part, HHH is, but with one glaring exception : Failed MMA Fighter and Walking Dead Enthusiast Philip Jack Brooks.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Jericho called HHH his friend the other day and said any beef they had was long, long past.

He's also described HHH in his book as a guy he wouldn't have a beer with but he's cool with. We all have those types of friends -- the ones you go out with, and the ones who you see either at work or school who you won't go out with, but you're friends with them in that particular setting.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Jericho called HHH his friend the other day and said any beef they had was long, long past.
Jericho and HHH have been friends for years now.

The only time they ever had true beef was when Jericho was new to WWF and Jericho covers the evolution of their relationship in his books pretty well. You can tell they are buddies now.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
He's also described HHH in his book as a guy he wouldn't have a beer with but he's cool with. We all have those types of friends -- the ones you go out with, and the ones who you see either at work or school who you won't go out with, but you're friends with them in that particular setting.
I have not read his 4th book yet, but in his 3rd book, you can tell they are not best friends, but are very cool with each other

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Just caught up with Wrestle Kingdom (watched it over 3 days lol).

Okada/Naito was definitely my favourite match. Marked many times. Wanted Naito to win as well, disappointed he didn't. Doesn't take away from the fact that the match was spectacular.
Omega/Jericho was a freakin brawl! Amazing. Tied 2nd favourite match of the night with the Jr. Heavyweight 4 way. Ospreay is a freak. And Scurll is fantasticcc.

My favourite moment of the night was Scurlls entrance. Marked so hard. Re-watched the entrance atleast half a dozen times. WOOP WOOP.

------------------------------------
Watched New Year's Dash as well. Loving the Jericho/Naito confrontation as well as the tension between Omega/Cody as well as Jay White refusing Omega and Bullet Club. Looking forward to seeing where that's headed.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
that feel when Jericho was kayfabing in that podcast with Callis when he said Naito was big-leaguing him and now they're going to end up working a match. God damn.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
watching FantasticaMania... how the f*** is atlantis still wrestling?
he's been there since i can remember.
like i used to watch movies with him and Octagon beating the mexican mafia and saving the country. ha.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The New Beginning shows look really good. Nice breather in the schedule before Rumble/New Beginning weekend.

Sounding more and more like Jericho-Naito will be held off until the US show. It makes sense...they had the US title tournament as the big draw last year. I'd assume there will be a few title feuds mixed in as well.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What happened to the Observer website? I wonder if everyone going there crashed the server.

My immediate thought when I saw Omega was that he was the wolf from the music video for Hunter by Bjork, which...would make a lot of sense to me if I thought anyone other than myself would make a connection between Omega and Bjork.

Marty's entrance was really cool considering he isn't much of a focus in Japan. Has Japan ever done a 4-way for a singles title? Multi-man matches are incredibly rare.

Edit: Appears their company is down.

He told a story on Jericho’s podcast about his original plan for the entrance and the armor was basically all that remained because it looked too cool and went with his gear. It was inspired from Apocalypse form the X-men and some video games. Destiny in particular.

Apparently there was supposed to be a big video production beforehand that showed different parts of Japan stopping what they were doing to watch clips of his matches and basically start worshipping and praying to him. Basically supposed to tie into his God of Wrestling thing so he was like a literal Egyptian god, or he thought he was.

Kayfabe I liked that idea. He is so f***ing deluded, and now they are continuing the slow burn on this tragic anime-like love story with Ibushi.

I wonder where they are going with BC, is it going to be another hostile takeover, or we getting a faction civil war ala Hollywood vs Wolfpac?

I guess the obvious long term booking is for Kenny to turn face and reunite with Ibushi, but I wouldn’t mind a subversion where Kenny decides to fully betray him and gets even darker as a result. Idk. It is intriguing. I like what Cody brings as well.

Also yes Jericho is the GOAT. No one can constantly reinvent himself and understand wrestling like he does. Glad he is still doing work over there. Have to admit it was weird seeing him come out to something other then his WWE entrance.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
for montreal people:

IWS show last saturday with Pete Dunne.
match ended with Les Brasseurs attacking Dunne (and his opponent Matt Angel).
Dunne grabbed the mic and asked Les Brasseurs to find a tag partner cuz he's bringing British Strong Style with him.... :o

pretty pumped.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
It was really well done. To have Red Shoes end the match and not have Tana tap out...it sets up perfectly for a rematch down the line.

Kenny vs. Jay White tomorrow...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Wow, who would have thought that long term booking that is grounded in logic and has a hint of subtlety could be good? It hasn't been this dusty in here since Kobashi saved Misawa...

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The entire final hour plus of that show was fantastic.

The Bucks losing the belts to Roppongi 3K in the previous match. Okada is at ringside doing commentary with the Japan announcers (it's usually been Makabe). So many layers and it was all well done. Kenny being in the Jericho story and now this...it's great.

And what a cool spot for Jay White to be in. They really seem to like him a lot. Hangman Page is in a pretty good spot as well.

I have to think there's a few huge matches being set up for Long Beach since they won't have that tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad