Speculation: All Purpose John Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Probably from playing on Team Canada? Not sure if old news, but Tavares was also golfing with Steph Curry.

Yeah Burns and Vlasic played with him, too. Good to see that relationship/friendships were formed. That Curry golfing outing was from Sept 2016, I think. Hopefully Tavares remembers that Curry told him that golf can be played in the winter

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Haven't seen this perspective about Couture and Deboer :

Not sure how much interaction they all had but Burns, Jumbo, Vlassic, Couture all played on Team Canada with Tavares at one point or another. I think he's more familiar with the Sharks players than the east coast media bias realizes.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I had honestly no idea about his friendship with Couture. But honestly, I bet he has even better relationships with players on the Islanders who he has played with for years. But this is definitely helpful.

His relationship with Islander players is full of losing and not making the playoffs... He'll be rich enough to buy some new friends. :naughty::laugh:

Reactions: 209

JackSkellington

Pumpkin King
Feb 18, 2016
South Florida
Not sure how much interaction they all had but Burns, Jumbo, Vlassic, Couture all played on Team Canada with Tavares at one point or another. I think he's more familiar with the Sharks players than the east coast media bias realizes.
As was KD when he left OKC, he was familiar and close with some on the Warriors and a huge reason he left

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Yeah, he probably has better ties to the Preds and Bolts, too, than to the Leafs.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Do you guys ever remember us being so open about trying to land a free agent before? I know players of Tavares caliber normally do not hit FA but still. Just seems strange with us being so open.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Do you guys ever remember us being so open about trying to land a free agent before? I know players of Tavares caliber normally do not hit FA but still. Just seems strange with us being so open.

There are only two types of players worth signing in free agency.

1. Superstars (ie Tavares)

2. Wildly underrated depth players (Schlemko)

One of those options is significantly more exciting.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

No, this seems like a first. I'm still tripping out.

Last time we were so publicly in a chase were the Heatley and Boyle acquisitions but those were trades. Never for a UFA as I recall. Chara and Niedermayer came out after the fact or probably kept under the wraps b/c social media wasn't so prevalent.

Kind of amazing to learn from Lebrun that we nearly next in line for Stamkos. Love DW for this aspect - he's viewed positively out there to put us in the running. Compared to McPhee who I guess has a bad rep amongst agents and will be interesting to see how that impacts Vegas over the years.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Open? DW refuses to comment as normal.

Info on Sharks interest/involvement not coming out of SJ org.

Playing 18 with someone who loves the Bay definitely cant hurt our chances but, pretty sure this was last year.

Last edited:

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Think Strickland is ignoring the fact that guys like to feel wanted. I remember KD saying that the warriors players telling him they wanted/need him went a long way and really mattered to him

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I wish you would mark these posts with (Paywall) or something. People are going to quick clicking any of your links if half of them end up at a paywall.

Reactions: NiWa and 68 Z-28

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Today marks the semi big day! Sharks are meeting with him today. Knock his socks off DW! Take the entire team! Except Demelo.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
The more I think about it the more I think he leaves the Islanders. If this was about money it's been reported that he's already got an 8 year 11 million offer on the table, if he wanted 12-13 at this point I don't know why lou wouldn't have already given that to him just to end this whole thing. If he's honestly looking at pitches from other teams, basically all the 5 teams that he's meeting with can offer a better pitch than the Islanders. Sharks, bruins and lightning in a better position to win now, leafs in a better position to win in the future. I honestly don't know what the Islanders offer that these teams cannot.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The more I think about it the more I think he leaves the Islanders. If this was about money it's been reported that he's already got an 8 year 11 million offer on the table, if he wanted 12-13 at this point I don't know why lou wouldn't have already given that to him just to end this whole thing. If he's honestly looking at pitches from other teams, basically all the 5 teams that he's meeting with can offer a better pitch than the Islanders. Sharks, bruins and lightning in a better position to win now, leafs in a better position to win in the future. I honestly don't know what the Islanders offer that these teams cannot.

Not having to move? Moving sucks...

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Not having to move? Moving sucks...
I hate moving so much. Id take a couple mill less and stay on a losing team just not to move, im being dead serious. Unless I just throw everything away and start over again haha

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I honestly think it's all drama/comedy to get more money outta the Isles. Why did he choose the Leafs? There's no reason for him to go there. Large fanbase, lots of publicity. His agent is feeding journalists tons of information and it serves the same purpose. If he wanted to leave, would he really need these meetings? Does it really impress him if the Sharks send 10 players and the Stars 15? That would surprise me. I think if he wanted to leave he'd either know exactly where to go or he'd just go where he can earn the most.

Having said that, since he's still not signed by now there's an actual chance that he walks. Certainly a different situation than the Stamkos one recently. If he leaves the Isles I'm still convinced that he's gonna join either Dallas or San Jose. Tampa is intriguing of course but they wouldn't be able to give him the icetime and the money he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad