Speculation: All Purpose John Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I think I read somewhere that he's tight with Jumbo. Either way he's always got the inside scoop

I've read/heard him say he loves SJ and the game atmosphere, and always tries to cover their series in the playoffs. If you go back to his predictions in the last 10 years, he was always picked the Sharks

Reactions: Tw1ster

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
A clip today on TSN.ca. Craig Button chose the Leafs but Lebrun made the case for the sharks.

Thanks unfortunately the TSN videos don’t work for me. I get an error message saying “ video not available in your region” small disadvantage of living in the south

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

I knew they were the favorites but that’s not good. DW is going to have to knock it out of the park tomorrow

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Man at this point it better not be the Islanders, this giant dog and pony show just so he ends up with the same team is a giant waste of time. Just ask for the money you want, the Islanders will probably pay it.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I know it’s a long shot that Tavares leaves the Islanders. And I know that Lou has a great historical reputation. But I think Tavares will be disappointed by staying. Lou is 75 and has lost a bit of his magical touch from the golden age of his career. He didn’t do much in Toronto imo. Anyone would’ve taken Matthews #1 in his draft. Trotz is a solid coach. And Barzel seems to be a stud. After that, they have no goalie, they might lose their best defenseman in FA. They don’t have a perminant home. And they haven’t made the playoffs recently.

They had a solid draft but I don’t see that helping them this season. It’s different than Stamkos in that there was a solid foundation in Tampa and they were and still are a major contender. They are complete opposite situations. I really hope that Tavares is open to what the Sharks present are truly considers what his feature could look like surrounded by a stable operation and a solid core.

Reactions: tiburon12

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
What, are they supposed to have tear tracks on their faces as they leave if Tavares rejects them? People try waaay too much to read into body language.

Yes, I want tears and anguish. I am reading too much into everything. This is the most nerve racking offseason ever and it’s not even July yet :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I know it’s a long shot that Tavares leaves the Islanders. And I know that Lou has a great historical reputation. But I think Tavares will be disappointed by staying. Lou is 75 and has lost a bit of his magical touch from the golden age of his career. He didn’t do much in Toronto imo. Anyone would’ve taken Matthews #1 in his draft. Trotz is a solid coach. And Barzel seems to be a stud. After that, they have no goalie, they might lose their best defenseman in FA. They don’t have a perminant home. And they haven’t made the playoffs recently.

They had a solid draft but I don’t see that helping them this season. It’s different than Stamkos in that there was a solid foundation in Tampa and they were and still are a major contender. They are complete opposite situations. I really hope that Tavares is open to what the Sharks present are truly considers what his feature could look like surrounded by a stable operation and a solid core.

100% this

Without sounding obnoxious, how could anyone want to stay with the Islanders? I understand loyalty and not wanting to move and being part of the solution and winning with one team etc, but the Islanders have been a model of a failing franchise for years. There are never articles or stories about how great it is to play for them, but rather their arena is a laughing stock, their old GM was garbage, they dont attract any good players via FA, their trades and signings have been terrible, they dont make the playoffs.... I could go on.

Every person/player is very different on how they approach life and employment, but if it were me, i'd be counting the days until i was out the door of that franchise.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff

I knew they were the favorites but that’s not good. DW is going to have to knock it out of the park tomorrow

Ya, this doesn’t mean anything concrete. Maybe they just felt good about their talks. Or maybe they’re trying to play mind games on other GM’s. Or maybe they’re just happy fellows. Or maybe JT said, “Im def not going to TO”. Who knows. It means nothing. He hasn’t even spoken to the bulk of the teams.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I'm excited about the prospects of getting Tavares, but what is the backup plan if this falls through. I feel like the Sharks are making this big push and I for some reason will be disappointed in the result. I hope not and maybe I need more optimism, but still.

I'm concerned about this too. Mainly bc I don't see anyone else who would be a good Thornton replacement being a UFA in the next couple of years. ROR is possible but who would we trade for him? We'd probably lose any bidding war bc we don't have the assets most teams seem to covet. Plus, ROR would be more of a Couture replacement (IMO) than a Thornton replacement. There are occasionally potential elite 1Cs on the market but it's rare.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
What, are they supposed to have tear tracks on their faces as they leave if Tavares rejects them? People try waaay too much to read into body language.

Not only that, Bisson has done this so often that he's not going to tip his hand to the execs. If he gives hints, it's to push a team toward giving something Tavares wants. I'd guess that he talked to Tavares about that, too, and Tavares is probably letting Bisson take the lead on a lot of things.

The execs are also regular players and they also aren't going to tip their hand unless they think it will benefit them. I doubt that we'll have any real clues until at least all the presentations are complete.

Last edited:

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I just hope he doesn’t go to TO. I’d love to see their fan base explode with Tavares @ 11mil lol! We don’t need him anyway...

(And they don’t...they need defense more than anything)

Reactions: CrypTic

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I just hope he doesn’t go to TO. I’d love to see their fan base explode with Tavares @ 11mil lol! We don’t need him anyway...

(And they don’t...they need defense more than anything)

Yeah, I feel guilty about that bc there are some reasonable Leafs fans on the trade board but there are so many obnoxious ones and they take over every thread that's even tangentially related to the Leafs. And the Tavares threads are more than tangentially related so . . . . I'd understand if the Islander fans did that but they've been relatively subdued. I can't help it, I really want the Leafs to crash and burn almost every time bc of those fans.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Yeah, I feel guilty about that bc there are some reasonable Leafs fans on the trade board but there are so many obnoxious ones and they take over every thread that's even tangentially related to the Leafs. And the Tavares threads are more than tangentially related so . . . . I'd understand if the Islander fans did that but they've been relatively subdued. I can't help it, I really want the Leafs to crash and burn almost every time bc of those fans.

Yeah, it’s really just the obnoxious ones (just like every fan base). I actually like the leafs too. Those uni’s, minus the stupid polo shirt collar, are sweet. I’m a Mathews fan too, and Marner. I love telling people Mathews was actually born in the Bay.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The only even slightly positive feeling I would have if Tavares went to the Leafs is that it would give Patty a better chance to win a Cup.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
The only even slightly positive feeling I would have if Tavares went to the Leafs is that it would give Patty a better chance to win a Cup.
True, but we would have to hear about it for years. Alot of Leafs fans are already unbearably smug. Anyone but the leafs if we dont get Tavares.

Reactions: WSS11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad