Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Damn, this is hilarious.

Apparently, before Spieth hit what turned out to be his final shot of a 4-and-3 win, a wedge approach to the par-4 15th, Patrick Reed told his partner he'd do a belly-flop into the nearby lake is Spieth holed it. And then he almost had to pay up when Spieth did this:

You can't get any closer. Spieth relayed the ridiculous side bet in his post-match interview after Reed made the clinching birdie putt, and the reigning British Open champ added that he missed the shot "on purpose to protect the lake." Too bad.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pr...ational?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Your support is greatly appreciated. It definitely won't happen at Augusta because his ball-flight is not neutral enough. It most likely won't happen at the US Open because he's too inaccurate a driver, unless they keep going to 50-yard-wide fairway courses like Erin Hills. Other than that, who knows.

I think I read that they are going to bring the fairways in at Shinnecock, but those greens were ridiculous in 2004, so maybe. If its like that again, it could eliminate a lot of players. Carnoustie you can't be that far offline, I know next to nothing about Bellerive.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Reed and Spieth have now lost only 1 of 12 matches they've played together. Their career record is just below that of Ballesteros and Olazabal. 80% of points won to 79% of points won.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lahiri of all people ruins the dream of clinching before Sunday. Hope USA blows it out tomorrow and forces the Tour to re-examine this competition.

There's no way they'll get rid of it. Not good for their ability to make money, not good for the International team gaining chemistry playing together, not good for the TV networks that have television deals to televise this.

I have no clue what the solution is. There's lopsided talent, the international team doesn't play well together due to a lack of familiarity and language barriers, along with them in general being poor match play players due to their strengths mostly being ball striking, driving instead of scrambling, putting. Maybe the event can be used as like a "B" team for the USA to test out guys for the Ryder Cup until the International Team improves enough that they can be competitive with the USA's "A" team? All those years the USA was losing the Ryder Cup, they were still winning the Presidents Cup. Now that the USA is good, I gotta think these types of routs will happen very often until the International Team really improves their talent. Spieth, Thomas, DJ, Reed, Thomas etc. are not going away.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
International Side:

Matsuyama (3)
Day (7)
Scott (22)
Oosthuizen (21)
Leishman (16)
Schwartzel (27)
Grace (42)
Kim (39)
Vegas (38)
Hadwin (47)
Grillo (60)
Lahiri (68)

Average World Rank: 32.5

USA "B: team by World Rank (took the 12 highest ranked players that didn't make the team this year):

Harman (28)
Perez (31)
Schauffele (32)
Dufner (34)
Simpson (37)
Haas (40)
Snedeker (41)
Z. Johnson (43)
Henley (44)
Woodland (45)
Moore (46)
Walker (48)

Average World Rank: 39.1

Now that the USA has gotten their act together, its essentially like Canada with hockey. The "B" team could be very competitive, can't compete with the "A" team.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
What if the US adopted a rule that no more than 50% or something of the roster can play both the Ryder and Presidents consecutively? Not a true B Team, because that kind of belittles the International Team. Adds more US players to the mix.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This US team is being compared to the 1981 US Ryder Cup team. That team won 49 majors. This team has 11 majors so far. Will this team even get to 35?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
This US team is being compared to the 1981 US Ryder Cup team. That team won 49 majors. This team has 11 majors so far. Will this team even get to 35?

The worst guy on that 1981 team had 13 PGA Tour wins. I doubt Chappell, Hoffman, and Kisner will end up combining for 13 wins by the end of their careers. That take is a bit too spicy for my liking.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, I thought it was a pretty stupid take.

I was looking at the possibilities, they probably need to all hit their best case scenario for that to happen, and they won't. Probably only 2-3 do that, I don't think its that far off though from a team that legitimately could be the best team ever, just isn't this team. Replace Chappell with Woods next year, and replace Kuchar, Kisner Hoffman with young guys with a chance to win majors like Schauffele, Cantlay, Hossler/Scniederjans, DeChambeau, Murray, Wise. Considering you are adding Tiger, and then three other guys who maybe combine for lets say 3 career majors, you are adding 17 majors to 11, makes it 28, and then I think its incredibly realistic that they would best 49, if they only need 21 from the other 8 or so players. Next year's team could be the best ever if the captain gets the selections right, not this year though, still a few too many guys with average careers, and obviously missing Tiger who could return next year. Europe's gonna lose next year by 5+ if the US players are on form and the right selections are made. This team is really good, definitely one of the best team golf sides in the history of pro golf, but not the best yet.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Was that ridiculous Spieth ruling discussed here yesterday where he lost the chance to halve the hole because he stopped a ball from continuing to roll?

Sometimes the convoluted rules of golf just make you shake your head.

And apparently Mango Mussolini is going to be at the Pres Cup all day today... thank God for NFL football.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I only remember Dunne from leading the open the collapsing on Sunday.

He's good now?

No, he's not. I guess he's okay, good for him that he's gotten a win, his first of his career. As far as I'm concerned, he's just the Irish DeChambeau with the big hype due to his play in a major before he turned pro when he wasn't actually all that good. But sure, maybe he'll have a nice career. I don't expect anything big out of him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was that ridiculous Spieth ruling discussed here yesterday where he lost the chance to halve the hole because he stopped a ball from continuing to roll?

Sometimes the convoluted rules of golf just make you shake your head.

And apparently Mango Mussolini is going to be at the Pres Cup all day today... thank God for NFL football.

Rules are rules, I got no problem with them enforcing them. If they were going to change their mind about it because of arguing, that would be an inconsistency with the rules in place. But that one should be changed for the future to allow the referee to judge whether it should apply on a situation like that instead of applying the rules without regard for whether it made sense or not.

I read Rory shot the low last 36 on the European Tour this season. Isn't he playing next week? Maybe he wins next week. Golf needs him back to his best.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Rules are rules, I got no problem with them enforcing them. If they were going to change their mind about it because of arguing, that would be an inconsistency with the rules in place. But that one should be changed for the future to allow the referee to judge whether it should apply on a situation like that instead of applying the rules without regard for whether it made sense or not.

I read Rory shot the low last 36 on the European Tour this season. Isn't he playing next week? Maybe he wins next week. Golf needs him back to his best.
Yeah, it's more that I feel the rulebook needs to be further streamlined and made less convoluted going forward.

And as far as I know, yep, Rors is playing Dunhill next week. He needs a confidence building win desperately.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is must watch. Absolutely hilarious. Watch the whole thing. DJ is hammered, some of the others are also, but DJ the star of the press conference.

And watch this. Wasn't part of the press conference, must've happened after.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad