Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Didn't even realize until 5 minutes ago that the President's Cup isn't Fri/Sat/Sun.

I see that Pat and Jordan's match went about what you would expect. So have the rest of the matches. Zzz.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chamblee absolutely demolishing Si Woo Kim.

Yesterday, I think he called him the most inconsistent golfer ever, and today he said Price made a tactical error by playing Kim, showing a full highlight package of Kim's misses. I was watching the match, and kept thinking the same thing that he was missing a lot of putts, but didn't realize how many, as I wasn't paying such close attention.

Kim had two top 20's all year. Thats atrocious. Without a win, thats likely a guy playing on the Web.com Tour next year. Gotta say that it does seem like he had no business playing. They are kind of unlucky he qualified for the team.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Chamblee absolutely demolishing Si Woo Kim.

Yesterday, I think he called him the most inconsistent golfer ever, and today he said Price made a tactical error by playing Kim, showing a full highlight package of Kim's misses. I was watching the match, and kept thinking the same thing that he was missing a lot of putts, but didn't realize how many, as I wasn't paying such close attention.

Kim had two top 20's all year. Thats atrocious. Without a win, thats likely a guy playing on the Web.com Tour next year. Gotta say that it does seem like he had no business playing. They are kind of unlucky he qualified for the team.

Yeah, he's a weird player. A while ago you asked everybody how they'd rank the U25s inside the top 100 OWGR and I didn't even include him on my list. The Players is obviously a big win but there's just so few results before and after it that you can't help but wonder if that was a total fluke. I guess his inconsistency can be somewhat excused as an age thing but if you can win The Players, then you should be able to do better than MC in half your events played. Plus, hard not to be concerned by his frequent WDs. He had 6 just this season alone.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, he's a weird player. A while ago you asked everybody how they'd rank the U25s inside the top 100 OWGR and I didn't even include him on my list. The Players is obviously a big win but there's just so few results before and after it that you can't help but wonder if that was a total fluke. I guess his inconsistency can be somewhat excused as an age thing but if you can win The Players, then you should be able to do better than MC in half your events played. Plus, hard not to be concerned by his frequent WDs. He had 6 just this season alone.

He had the 6th worst scoring average on the PGA Tour this year.

There should be some captains choice opt-out where they can take one of the guys who qualify off the team. Kim made the team because of one tournament. Without that one tournament, he's on the Web.com Tour next year.

This has to be one of the biggest mismatches ever in one of these competitions. The current best pairing in team golf vs. one of the worst players on the PGA Tour and a slightly better than tour average player in Grillo.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Matsuyama was woeful today outside of a 4 hole stretch on the front today. Isn't exactly any surprise with the way he's played for the past month but still. Internationals extremely lucky to get that half point with rookie Hadwin almost playing by himself on the back 9 against Speith and Reed. Don't see how Matsuyama can be played in the foursomes tomorrow. He lost more balls today than fairways he hit.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Matsuyama was woeful today outside of a 4 hole stretch on the front today. Isn't exactly any surprise with the way he's played for the past month but still. Internationals extremely lucky to get that half point with rookie Hadwin almost playing by himself on the back 9 against Speith and Reed. Don't see how Matsuyama can be played in the foursomes tomorrow. He lost more balls today than fairways he hit.

Reed and Spieth are bad in four-ball. They should've won that match, but Jordan can't putt right now, so they got a halve. Matsuyama is as inconsistent as they come, and thats because when he has poor stretches with his ball striking, he's not very good. His game is pretty much all about ball striking, very poor grinder. They needed him this week to be the best player in this event, and he's one of the worst. Doesn't help out the International side that essentially has two randoms (Kim and Lahiri) who are far out of place in an event like this.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Yeah that was a poorly played match by both sides. Pat dragged Jordan's rotting corpse for much of the front-9 and then Jordan did the same for Pat on the back. Neither could do much on the greens all day.

8-2 for the Americans. Barnburner!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not sure it matters who they play tomorrow now, might as well play their worse players have the States get all the points and lock the cup up before Sunday. That would be fun.

Hope Hadwin gets in both sessions tomorrow. Does everyone have to get 2 sessions in before Sunday? Otherwise I'd sit Kim, and Lahiri both sessions tomorrow. Unfortunately Nice Price will probably continue to be dumb and sit Hadwin in foursomes yet again. Or almost worse, play him with Matsuyama hitting all his shots after Matsuyama penalties.

I'd go Grace/Oosthuizen, Day/Leish, Hadwin/Scott and Vegas/Grillo tomorrow for the foursomes. Vegas/Scott haven't been awful so they probably won't break them up but they haven't gotten any points out of it. Try something new.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, if the international side keeps this within five, they've done a good job. I'm gonna put my username on the line, I'm that confident that this is over. If they win, someone can choose what I change it to.

Next year is looking even better. Same core (Spieth, Johnson, Thomas, Berger, Koepka, Fowler), add Schauffele and Cantlay who look like near certs for the team, and then four more. Tiger and Phil suck at the Ryder Cup, but I'm hoping Tiger qualifies because that means he's had a good year. If either are anywhere near okay next year at golf, they'll both be on the team. So thats ten, and then maybe you also have Kuchar take another spot or someone of his caliber like Kisner (you guys know what I'm talking about), and then hopefully Hossler or another young player gets the last spot (could be Murray, DeChambeau, Schniedejans, Wise). I'm expecting a big year from Hossler on the PGA Tour. He was as good as Rahm in college two years ago, then had that shoulder injury, otherwise he could've been on the PGA Tour this past season.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'd go Grace/Oosthuizen, Day/Leish, Hadwin/Scott and Vegas/Grillo tomorrow for the foursomes. Vegas/Scott haven't been awful so they probably won't break them up but they haven't gotten any points out of it. Try something new.

Hey, Nice Price finally went with the same pairings I wanted. Not that it's going to work, this team is far inferior to the American team but it's nice not to have to worry about half your players hitting it into the water, unplayable, and OB for the first session.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Yeah, if the international side keeps this within five, they've done a good job. I'm gonna put my username on the line, I'm that confident that this is over. If they win, someone can choose what I change it to.

Next year is looking even better. Same core (Spieth, Johnson, Thomas, Berger, Koepka, Fowler), add Schauffele and Cantlay who look like near certs for the team, and then four more. Tiger and Phil suck at the Ryder Cup, but I'm hoping Tiger qualifies because that means he's had a good year. If either are anywhere near okay next year at golf, they'll both be on the team. So thats ten, and then maybe you also have Kuchar take another spot or someone of his caliber like Kisner (you guys know what I'm talking about), and then hopefully Hossler or another young player gets the last spot (could be Murray, DeChambeau, Schniedejans, Wise). I'm expecting a big year from Hossler on the PGA Tour. He was as good as Rahm in college two years ago, then had that shoulder injury, otherwise he could've been on the PGA Tour this past season.

Damn it... come on Internationals!

I really want to change your username.

Jan 3, 2012
After much intense speculation, it has been confirmed that the President's Cup is in fact a joke.

Also, Rory potentially a good golfer again?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
After much intense speculation, it has been confirmed that the President's Cup is in fact a joke.

Also, Rory potentially a good golfer again?

I'd like Rory to win tomorrow. Need him back to his best.

This is over with. Europe better pick up their play in the next year, otherwise this will happen to them. If the Ryder Cup was this year, I'm not convinced it would be that much closer. The USA team is incredibly young and in form, really potent combination in team competitions the next few years. And a lot of these guys are really good putters, which is very important in match play.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Your support is greatly appreciated. It definitely won't happen at Augusta because his ball-flight is not neutral enough. It most likely won't happen at the US Open because he's too inaccurate a driver, unless they keep going to 50-yard-wide fairway courses like Erin Hills. Other than that, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad