Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
About the POY debate, Spieth has earned more than 68 more OWGR points on the PGA Tour this season than Thomas, and we are only talking about one more event for Spieth. Thomas couldn't even make up that difference if he wins the Tour Championship and Spieth finishes last.

If Spieth wins the Tour Championship and the Fed Ex Cup, I don't know how there's any debate of POY, really. Spieth leads every major category, except for overall # of wins. Highest scoring average in adjusted and actual, most top 10's in 2017, first on the money list. And I'd also argue that Thomas CIMB win in 2016 should not count for the 2017 POY. Spieth won a golf tournament during the silly season in that region of the world, why doesn't that count for his total?

Thomas is very unlikely to even make up the difference on Johnson in OWGR points gained on the PGA Tour in 2017, but Johnson didn't win a major and thats the most important thing when deciding these awards, so I understand that. I think Thomas season is going to win him POY based on narrative, although if Spieth wins the Tour Championship, I think that might change the narrative. If so, there's really no case for Thomas winning POY. It would be a travesty if he won the POY then.

Jan 3, 2012
I'm assuming that you meant Spieth had lowest adjusted and actual scoring average.

PGA Tour players compete for two player of the year awards. The PGA Player of the Year award dates back to 1948 and is awarded by the PGA of America. Since 1982 the winner has been selected using a points system with points awarded for wins, money list position and scoring average. The PGA Tour Player of the Year award,[51] also known as the Jack Nicklaus Trophy, is administered by the PGA Tour and was introduced in 1990; the recipient is selected by the tour players by ballot, although the results are not released other than to say who has won.

It will probably just go to whomever wins the statistically determined one.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
I'm a very casual golfer. I like it but I don't really put enough time and effort into it to become good. I only started golfing when I was 30. So I'm pretty mediocre. As a result I've always cheaped out when it comes to equipment. I didn't go all last year, because I got rid of my clubs, which were a cheap Ram set.

So after a whole year of not even going golfing, I've been out a couple of times this year and I borrowed a friend's set of TaylorMades. I figured brand wouldn't matter unless you had more skill, but despite not going golfing for over a year I've had two of my best games, especially with irons and putting. So to anyone knowledgeable than I am, would a better brand of golf club really make such a difference or is it just a coincidence / result of taking time off and forgetting some bad habits / whatever? I don't want to invest money in a good set if it's not worth it but is there a real difference for a casual golfer?

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
To the above question, golf is a confidence game. Whatever clubs you hit that feels the best and gives you the best results are the clubs for you. My bag used to have a mix of cheap and expensive because that's what felt the best for me. Avoid the headache and get a pro to match shaft flex and club head for your swing. Unless you're testing tons of clubs, you'll struggle to find the best set for you without someone helping to select.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Reminder that Pat has won in every PGA Tour season that he's been a full member. This is the last week of the season.

I'm not saying this tournament is over, but... I sort of am.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Latest TW update: http://news.tigerwoods.com/tigers-blog-presidents-cup-preview-2017/

Tiger said he's now hitting 60 yard shots, and working on putting and chipping.

He said after his 6 month X-ray coming up that he'll determine a course of action, but he's to take full swings. He's also lifting weights, which is good news, as long as its normal lifting, and not just very light lifting.

I gotta think Hero World Challenge in December is when he might return. If not, returning in January wouldn't be bad either, get a full season in on the Tour, and see if he can start contending in some majors.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
To the above question, golf is a confidence game. Whatever clubs you hit that feels the best and gives you the best results are the clubs for you. My bag used to have a mix of cheap and expensive because that's what felt the best for me. Avoid the headache and get a pro to match shaft flex and club head for your swing. Unless you're testing tons of clubs, you'll struggle to find the best set for you without someone helping to select.

Thank you for the insight.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Absolutely so tired of JT and DJ at this point, especially JT. And I rooted for Justin to win the PGA last month.

Glad that it looks like Jordan will be paired with Pat at the Presidents Cup, really don't think I'd be able to tolerate a Thomas or Johnson pairing after these playoffs. Thomas is the rival for next season, its no longer Rory or Day, as far as I'm concerned. I'm kind of bitter, but it does add an edge to my rooting interests for next season.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Absolutely so tired of JT and DJ at this point, especially JT. And I rooted for Justin to win the PGA last month.

Glad that it looks like Jordan will be paired with Pat at the Presidents Cup, really don't think I'd be able to tolerate a Thomas or Johnson pairing after these playoffs. Thomas is the rival for next season, its no longer Rory or Day, as far as I'm concerned. I'm kind of bitter, but it does add an edge to my rooting interests for next season.

JT is basically Spieth's twin brother... thought you would have him 1b to Jordan :P

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
JT is basically Spieth's twin brother... thought you would have him 1b to Jordan :P

Nah, I was never a big fan of him. Kind of felt bad for him, given he was lagging behind his friend. No longer feel bad after these playoffs. I might join you in cheering on Rory next season, as I'm starting to feel bad for him.

I am not a fan of any golfer other than Tiger and Jordan. Might occasionally root for other golfers at times, but only really care how those two play. Unfortunately, the "two" is really one because Tiger has played 7 rounds in the last two years, so the rooting for him is more for positive updates from his website that he hasn't yet decided to retire. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad