All-purpose goaltending thread VII - all Hutch/Pav/Helle talk here [Warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
So they can haul it out at the 'unfair dismissal' lawsuit. If they are going to be petty and vindictive they don't need a written personnel file. Or do you think they had forgotten this incident and stumbled on it when they did their annual review of personnel files? They saw that and decided that this was the time to waive Pav because of that FOUR YEAR OLD forgotten incident.

Why do they keep them? Not for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x 1000

Not sure why you keep saying that this was THE reason for him being waived. I certainly did not say that. What I have said is that it does go to character. If you believe that character has nothing to do with player acquisition that is your opinion. my feeling is that character does have some impact on personnel decisions. We differ on that and as long as we got the desired result I am not complaining.
What we can agree on I hope, is that TNSE made a decision that would seem to be in the best interest of the team. What factored into their decision will not likely ever been released to the public.
Take a look at who got sent down and who stayed (Thorburn) and then make a case to support Thorbs being here over some of the others. Clearly, ability is not the only determining factor:)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
2802.jpg

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I'm putting my GM hat on right now. You'd have to think Chevy has thought of this scenario.

It's worth discussing.

What if being sent down lights a fire under Pavelec's ass and gets called up 20 games into the season and carries the Jets to the playoffs with a .925 save percentage?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It's Chevy's failure to begin with.
Chevy, Noel and and Maurice all tried to fit a square peg in a round hole.
They tried to make Pavs a 60+ game workhorse and finally after 400+ games realized this guy can't do it.
And my wife thinks I'm a slow learner !!!
Maybe Pavs could have been a good platoon guy who knows.
On some level even though I didn't like him I do feel sorry for him.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Does anyone have that Jets goalie sv% chart handy? I saw it yesterday or the day before?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
What if being sent down lights a fire under Pavelec's ass and gets called up 20 games into the season and carries the Jets to the playoffs with a .925 save percentage?

then we should sign him to a 5 yr contract at a minimum of 5 mil per year pronto!

:sarcasm:

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Why would something that happened years ago suddenly be a reason? Why not do something sooner if it was? Why wait?

They can't wait.
If they wanted to move forward with the DUI charge it had to be done immediately, not when it is convenient to the employer.

It isn't a trump card that you put into a personnel file for use on a rainy day.

The employer needs to deterime whether the employee should remain employed and act upon the information when discovered. There may have been some disiplinary action taken at the time and that is between the employer and employee.

I am glad that Pavs has finally been sent down. I hope that team 2H meets expectations and have success. I wish I had more faith in Hutch.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if Pavelec playing with the Moose will help Comrie at all? I find it's always a good idea to have a veteran goalie mentor the young goalies in the minors. That way they can absorb any knowledge they have to impart and battle for starting minutes with a guy who has played games at the NHL level.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I wonder if Pavelec playing with the Moose will help Comrie at all? I find it's always a good idea to have a veteran goalie mentor the young goalies in the minors. That way they can absorb any knowledge they have to impart and battle for starting minutes with a guy who has played games at the NHL level.

you forgot this :sarcasm: right?

BigTulsa

Feb 17, 2015
Yup. Can blame the timing on the NHL. Final 23 man rosters have to be put in place tomorrow, so by default today is cut down day so players can clear waivers.

As a fan with a small interest down range so to speak (Tulsa Oiler fan), if Pav doesn't report to the Moose as the tweet earlier alluded to and then clears waivers, what then? Maybe I missed this discussion somewhere but there was talk Jamie Philips would come down to the ECHL for some conditioning and wondering if this would put that on hold for now.

Thanks all.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
As a fan with a small interest down range so to speak (Tulsa Oiler fan), if Pav doesn't report to the Moose as the tweet earlier alluded to and then clears waivers, what then? Maybe I missed this discussion somewhere but there was talk Jamie Philips would come down to the ECHL for some conditioning and wondering if this would put that on hold for now.

Thanks all.

I think most of us expect Phillips to spend most of the season in the ECHL (barring injury). The Jets almost didn't sign him, opting to go after a few undrafted goalies that ended up signing elsewhere, before signing him as a last resort. He's even said himself that he didn't expect to get signed.

One of Hellebuyck, Pav or Hutch was going to start the year in the AHL with Comrie, turns out that will be Pavelec. If Pavelec doesn't report then Phillips will have to start the year backing up Comrie or they will sign a veteran to do it.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Sorry to come late to the party, but what terrific news to hear that Pavelec was put on waivers. It should have been done years ago, but as they say, better late than never!

pavelec.png

He will be the backup with the Moose, as was Budaj when he was with the IceCaps. He will be insurance (albeit expensive) in case something happens to one of our young Jets tandem. I doubt anyone will claim him.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Sounded to me like Lawless was talking out his caboose again today. Hustler sorta called him on it too. I doubt very much this is a thing that just came about since Mo got back from the WC. I think they've been talking about this since at least the end of last season. I don't for a second think I or any of us are really any smarter than Chevy and Chipman. They know what they have with Pavelec and they have been biding their time for at least a couple of seasons waiting till they felt it was worth it to do something about Pav.

I find it funny that there seems to be this group of people that simply refuse to admit the obvious reality here. Ondrej Pavelec is a BAD goalie. This was a bad contract. It was an error on Chevy's part - it happens. They've done the best they could but now there is no point pretending and no point wasting time. Use this season to develop the new guys and move Pav out of the way sooner rather than later.

Yup, I said a long time ago these 5 years would be remembered as the dark days of the Jets. I now see the light.

Interesting day I missed out on. What to do with my Pavelec jersey?

Halloween is coming, you can use it scare small children and terrify adults!

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Well, we have seen that Pavelec can be great over a short period of time (like that run to the playoffs two years ago), but eventually, you cannot discount the mediocrity he has demonstrated over his entire career.

To answer your question, even if Pavelec did that, the Jets are not resigning him unless Hutch is taken by Las Vegas, and Pavelec is willing to take a 1-year deal at back-up dollars.

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
Nice to see the news this morning. I'm not a huge fan of Hutch, but just glad that Hellboy is up to stay now. New era begins!

Can't wait for the season to start.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I'm guessing there will be a trade with Jets retaining a good chunk of salary.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Of course Pavs reports to the Moose. Why wouldnt' he, he makes more down there and although Im sure he'd like not to report he'd rather get paid 4 million than nothing, and knows that there is a chance for recall possibly. It's his contract year but he's made his money and will go to Europe next year but Im sure a team will still sign him as a cheap backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad