All-purpose goaltending thread - all Hutchinson/Pavelec talk here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derfel*

Because Pavelec would have weathered those penalties as well.

In that game, Dallas had 7 powerplays. He stopped 46 of 47.

Tonight, Dallas had 7 powerplays including a 5-on-3. Hutch stopped 27 of 32.

So perhaps Pavelec may have fared better. He did in the past. But I don't have access to alternate universes, so I don't know what may have happened. I just know we didn't win this past game with Hutchinson in net.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Pavelec is going to get the next start. I was more than willing to give Hutchinson the benefit after Philly but he didn't endear himself to me tonight.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Pavelec is going to get the next start. I was more than willing to give Hutchinson the benefit after Philly but he didn't endear himself to me tonight.

Back to back games. One goalie gets Calgary the other gets Vancouver.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hutch has had 2/3 of the last games after the break. We have zero points.

I notice you are always quick to point out whenever Hutch has a sub-par game (which has not happened much this year). Pavelec has proven for 4 years in a row that he regresses badly in the second half of the season. I would rather keep playing Hutch at least 70% of our remaining games, to see if he can bounce back, than watch Pavelec lead us to a high draft pick.

2011,12,13,14, and now 15. Pavelec has regressed, but you keep on overlooking this fact, and want Pavelec to keep playing. I prefer to give Hutch the ball, and see what he can do over a prolonged time. 2 mediocre games after All-Star break means nothing,

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
In that game, Dallas had 7 powerplays. He stopped 46 of 47.

Tonight, Dallas had 7 powerplays including a 5-on-3. Hutch stopped 27 of 32.

So perhaps Pavelec may have fared better. He did in the past. But I don't have access to alternate universes, so I don't know what may have happened. I just know we didn't win this past game with Hutchinson in net.

Pointing out Pavelec's best game of the year is just cherry picking stats. I'm more inclined to look at his stats since mid November, which put him under the 0.900 mark, which is consistent for Pavelec, since he always burns out after a great start.

Derfel*

Back to back games. One goalie gets Calgary the other gets Vancouver.

Yes - but it should have been Pavelec tonight and Hutch against Calgary.

I wonder if Dallas would have run Pavelec in the first like they tried on Hutch (rookie), and if this game would have devolved into the penalty-fest it was?

Mind you, Pavelec did much better with the same amount of PK time last time they met (in an away game at that).

All the what-ifs aren't going to get us 2 points though.

Derfel*

Pointing out Pavelec's best game of the year is just cherry picking stats. I'm more inclined to look at his stats since mid November, which put him under the 0.900 mark, which is consistent for Pavelec, since he always burns out after a great start.

I'm pointing out Pavelec's performance against the same team in a game that had the same number of penalty minutes. He stopped 46 of 47 and won the game. It's a relevant game to quote?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yes - but it should have been Pavelec tonight and Hutch against Calgary.

I wonder if Dallas would have run Pavelec in the first like they tried on Hutch (rookie), and if this game would have devolved into the penalty-fest it was?

Mind you, Pavelec did much better with the same amount of PK time last time they met (in an away game at that).

All the what-ifs aren't going to get us 2 points though.

I'm not what iffing. I have no problem with Maurice's choice tonight.

Derfel*

I said I was "what-iffing". What if Pavelec had played this game, and shut the door like he did in Dallas the last time with the same PK time and almost double the shots?

I'm glad the rotation will return though.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Well said.

Pavelec has shown for the last 5 years that he cannot get the job done, when it matters the most. He should be relegated to backup for the remainder of the season. At least with Hutch, we have a goalie that may give us the chance to make the playoffs.

With Pavelec, it is guaranteed that we will miss the playoffs. When a goalie regresses in the second half of the season 5 years in a row, and ultimately finishes under the league average in GAA and saving percentage, that figure is not going to magically change.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over, and expecting different results. Playing Pavelec in crucial games is a perfect example of this. Not only in the NHL, but also in the Olympics.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I said I was "what-iffing". What if Pavelec had played this game, and shut the door like he did in Dallas the last time with the same PK time and almost double the shots?

You are almost making me hope Pavelec gets lit up, and finishes at 0.870, not unlike most of the games he has played in the last two months. Why prolong the inevitable? Pavelec, even in rotation, is a bad move.

Derfel*

Pavelec shut the door in the last game against Dallas. Did I not say that already? It was the wrong decision to start Hutch instead of Pavelec tonight, seeing the past history... just like it'd be the wrong decision to start Pavelec against Chicago next week, as Hutch has had their number this season.

It's pretty clear to see this if one takes off the Pav-hate glasses and looks at the numbers from the last Dallas game and this most recent one.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Probably next 3

Pav
Hutch
Hutch

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
It's pretty clear to see this if one takes off the Pav-hate glasses and looks at the numbers from the last Dallas game and this most recent one.

Maybe you should take off your Hutch-hate glasses, before casting stones at others. One game does not make a season. Cherry picking stats gets you nowhere.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I said I was "what-iffing". What if Pavelec had played this game, and shut the door like he did in Dallas the last time with the same PK time and almost double the shots?.

I think everybody would be happy with that. Pavs history shows the odds of that being pretty unlikely though.

I don't buy the notion of a goalie having a teams number, it doesn't stand up over a long enough time period. Maurice started the more consistent goaltender tonight, it didn't work out, this time.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
You guys do have Budaj you know, just saying. He's a good goalie from Montreal

define good.:shakehead

3.69 GAA, 0.884 sv. % sub 0.910 sv. % the previous two seasons for the Canadians:help:

He is playing where he should be now, next season will be in the KHL!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think everybody would be happy with that. Pavs history shows the odds of that being pretty unlikely though.

I don't buy the notion of a goalie having a teams number, it doesn't stand up over a long enough time period. Maurice started the more consistent goaltender tonight, it didn't work out, this time.

A quick look at Pavelec's game log history indicates the last time he played Dallas, he gave up 5 goals on 24 shots, was a 0.792, and was yanked after the 2nd period ended.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
A quick look at Pavelec's game log history indicates the last time he played Dallas, he gave up 5 goals on 24 shots, was a 0.792, and was yanked after the 2nd period ended.

No he made 46/47 saves and singehandedly won the game for Winnipeg.

I doubt that would have happened last night but whatever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad