All-purpose goaltending thread - all Hutchinson/Pavelec talk here

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I thought the difference between the goaltending in Pits and Philly was:

Pav did not give the team a chance to win in a game where Winnipeg actually played a pretty good game. Hutch gave the team a chance to win in a game where Winnipeg was thoroughly outplayed. However, both goalies were outplayed by the opposition netminder.

Maybe I am being biased towards Hutch but that's what my eyetest tells me

Derfel*

Pav did not give the team a chance to win in a game where Winnipeg actually played a pretty good game. Hutch gave the team a chance to win in a game where Winnipeg was thoroughly outplayed. However, both goalies were outplayed by the opposition netminder.

I'd say both performances were pretty equal - Pavelec made a couple of stars saves against PIT, as Hutch did against PHI. Maybe one more either way, but otherwise in both cases the team let them down.

The rotation will continue, I think... even though personally I'd like to see Hutch given the chance to rebound, as a rookie and all.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Thoroughy outplayed? Overstated IMO. Jets won corsi 42-32 scoring chances were pretty even.

Hutch could have been better early. Pav could have been better late. Neither goalie was good enough.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Thoroughy outplayed? Overstated IMO. Jets won corsi 42-32 scoring chances were pretty even.

Hutch could have been better early. Pav could have been better late. Neither goalie was good enough.

Really? Well if there was a time anyone ever wanted to call Corsi a bunch of BS, this would be it. The eye test was the only thing you needed for that game.

Derfel*

Maybe we need to start Pavelec, but then pull him halfway through the 2nd and put in Hutch every game?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Really? Well if there was a time anyone ever wanted to call Corsi a bunch of BS, this would be it. The eye test was the only thing you needed for that game.

I didn't think we were thoroughly outplayed. Even on the eyetest. The Dallas game we were thoroughly outplayed.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I didn't see the Jets get handled. I thought it was close, but the Jets edged the Flyers in zone time.

Of course the Jets made a number of glaring errors and the D got pylon'd a bunch, but I didn't see it as a one sided game. Just sloppy.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'd say both performances were pretty equal - Pavelec made a couple of stars saves against PIT, as Hutch did against PHI. Maybe one more either way, but otherwise in both cases the team let them down.

The rotation will continue, I think... even though personally I'd like to see Hutch given the chance to rebound, as a rookie and all.

Hah wow, yeah Pavelec played just as well as Hutch did tonight. You can't seriously believe what you are saying.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I didn't think we were thoroughly outplayed. Even on the eyetest. The Dallas game we were thoroughly outplayed.

Only in the sense that Dallas is a much better team offensively than the Flyers, their skill players made it look worse.

Let's be honest, thoroughly, badly, woefully, take your pick, they were outplayed by a pretty good margin. That's not to say the sky is falling but call a spade a spade.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Only in the sense that Dallas is a much better team offensively than the Flyers, their skill players made it look worse.

Let's be honest, thoroughly, badly, woefully, take your pick, they were outplayed by a pretty good margin. That's not to say the sky is falling but call a spade a spade.

It was a pretty even game I thought. We had the puck in their zone a lot. Their chances came on the rush usually off turnovers or ill timed pinches usually by Stuart. We played poorly in some areas those being the most glaring. They didn't generate much on their own. We were not dominated in any sense. That's how I saw the game.

The dallas game, the other team had the puck all night, we lost almost every puck battle. We were dominated that night.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I didn't see the Jets get handled. I thought it was close, but the Jets edged the Flyers in zone time.

Of course the Jets made a number of glaring errors and the D got pylon'd a bunch, but I didn't see it as a one sided game. Just sloppy.

Philly's not good enough to make a team look handled. The Jets had about 3 players show up tonight and the score after the second flattered them by at least 1 or 2, their team structure was pretty awful and offensively most of their zone time was on the perimeter without many second chances.

Overall the Flyers were much tighter, they were full measure for the win.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Listening the IC guys discuss why the team seems to play better under Hutch, and I think they completely missed the primary issue. I dont believe it has anything to do with their feelings toward either Hutch or Pavs, but rather it is simply the difference in time spent in the Dzone. When a goaltender is mishandling the puck, mishandling rebounds and failing to cover the puck, you put more pressure on your D game. Guys get tired, start scrambing, icing the puck etc. I'm sure the stats would back this up. I would estimate that in the Pitt game they played an extra 5 minutes in the D zone directly because of bad puck management by Pavs. You cant win like that.

Pavs is a guy who can look spectacular at times simply because he has put himself in a position where he needs to be spectacular. Great goaltenders like Cary Price know how to keep a game simple and not put undue stress on the D. As mentioned previously, I think their is a serious issue with goalie IQ and I'm not sure it can ever be fixed.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Listening the IC guys discuss why the team seems to play better under Hutch, and I think they completely missed the primary issue. I dont believe it has anything to do with their feelings toward either Hutch or Pavs, but rather it is simply the difference in time spent in the Dzone. When a goaltender is mishandling the puck, mishandling rebounds and failing to cover the puck, you put more pressure on your D game. Guys get tired, start scrambing, icing the puck etc. I'm sure the stats would back this up. I would estimate that in the Pitt game they played an extra 5 minutes in the D zone directly because of bad puck management by Pavs. You cant win like that.

Pavs is a guy who can look spectacular at times simply because he has put himself in a position where he needs to be spectacular. Great goaltenders like Cary Price know how to keep a game simple and not put undue stress on the D. As mentioned previously, I think their is a serious issue with goalie IQ and I'm not sure it can ever be fixed.

It's Pavelec's biggest flaw. His inability to anticipate the game. He relies on pure athleticism. There are quite a few of these goalies and they fool people often. Fucale anyone? I think Fleury and Quick are superior versions of this style. Both average to sometimes above average, that rely on superior athleticism.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Pregame show had a stat on sv% from the slot (middle) Hutch #8 in the league (.859) Pavelec #29 (.813)

Elliott is #1 (.893)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hutch has played average at best, in his last 2 games. We cannot expect him to walk on water. The problem is our lack of discipline has been killing us. I hope Hutch can bounce back from the couple of mediocre games. Pavelec has proven that he cannot so I still am in favor of playing Hutch for the remaining 2/3 of the season or more.

Derfel*

Hutch has played average at best, in his last 2 games. We cannot expect him to walk on water. The problem is our lack of discipline has been killing us. I hope Hutch can bounce back from the couple of mediocre games. Pavelec has proven that he cannot so I still am in favor of playing Hutch for the remaining 2/3 of the season or more.

Hutch has had 2/3 of the last games after the break. We have zero points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad