Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Looking ahead, presuming AM wins the land auction, are there any further regulatory hurdles? For argument’s sake, I’m taking him at his word that the building goes up w or w/o the amusement park district.
Probably, we always find something now don't we?

But I still think financing the whole establishment is the bigger hurdle than governments.

Since we have 58 days until the auction…. Some remedial reading…..

Start at Chapter 36, which defines theme park districts.

Then get used to tracking the bill HB2744. It was originally designed to aid first responders and passed the House but the Senate has taken it and introduced a “strike everything” clause and rewrote the bill to amend the current theme park district law, bypassing local and county approvals as a requirement.

Haven’t tracked a current copy of the bill down yet but will link it once I find it.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
We had an arena in Glendale, but no owners with the finances to run the franchise. I still believe the NHL would have worked in Glendale if the on ice product was there. All this location excuses were just that, excuses. At bankruptcy if the NHL brought their own people in and ran it like a normal NHL franchise it would have been successful, made money for the NHL and then could have been flipped for a profit to a well vetted owner.
Yes, and I addressed that to a degree. It was put out there by a land developer who was going to use the Coyotes as a loss leader anchor tenant to his district. That's sensible, except he disassociated himself from the Coyotes so they wound up as the loss leader who alone had to become profitable which gravely affected any future ownership groups.

Regarding Glendale, it's not an excuse that the team would have been more profitable in a more centrally located area. It'd be like moving the Bruins to Salem. You may be able to cater to enough fans there and survive, but it's better if the bulk of your fans don't have to travel so far.
I feel like the optics of the small rink in a potential playoff round, as well as making peace with the NHLPA before collective bargaining are factors, for the why now.
In another note, ever see Todd Channel (below) play? I won a state championship with him many, many moons ago.View attachment 861320
I was 4 years old then, so no. I remember when they put in the Pettit Center for speedskating/hockey though and were trying to get an expansion team. I think Anaheim/Florida got them instead for that round.

NHL was a joke then with vetting anything though. My understanding is that the bids for teams that didn't make it back then and for the Ottawa/San Jose/Tampa Bay rounds was that they were stronger financially, but those teams promised and had to scramble on payments and even paid late.

Milwaukee totally should have gotten a team, but they balked at paying the full price up front when they evidently wouldn't have needed to.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Probably, we always find something now don't we?

But I still think financing the whole establishment is the bigger hurdle than governments.
I think he can finance it now out of pocket with the large sum he just got. Whether he puts in a hockey arena and can finance the NHL reëntry cost is another question.

So, if he were to build it on his own, but then needed further lending or investors to recoup the $1B to purchase the expansion slot, potential lenders may look at the fully funded and nearly complete complex more favorably and lend him the rest.

That's quite different from the situation he was in just a few weeks ago where if he didn't have the funds to complete it and he had the team that was losing him money hand over fist, who would lend to him what he needed to complete it?

He may have also been reticent to put his other companies' assets down as security for this, so it frees up everything into a neat Coyotes only package this way. He may have been truthful when he said finances weren't an issue previously, but that doesn't mean he would have proceeded if it meant unwinding his entire empire and putting it all on the line as collateral.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yea, not surprised by this. May not be credible, but him not stepping in to buy the Yotes really screamed "Shit for Brains" to me.

OMG absolutely calling him Ish for Brains from now on.
Why should Isbia be called "shit for brains" for not buying the Coyotes?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd be extremely surprised. The Suns have been part of this Valley longer than most of the people on this board have been alive. They're not going anywhere. The Cardinals would leave before the Suns would.

But they're in for a world of hurt over the long term. Ishbia screwed up the future of the franchise trying to be Jerry Colangelo and batting a miracle they're going to be bottom feeders for a long while once the super team is dissolved.
I thought most on this board thought Isbia was the second coming?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
That's absolutely true.. but it seems like there's an increasing number of very rich people who believe that having money means that you are capable of greatness in EVERY discipline that requires money. It's a classic example of the Peter Principle in action.
Yes, it’s all too common. See Bill Gates. The computer programmer who thinks he’s also a doctor, a meteorologist, and a nutritionist…

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Since we have 58 days until the auction…. Some remedial reading…..

Start at Chapter 36, which defines theme park districts.

Then get used to tracking the bill HB2744. It was originally designed to aid first responders and passed the House but the Senate has taken it and introduced a “strike everything” clause and rewrote the bill to amend the current theme park district law, bypassing local and county approvals as a requirement.

Haven’t tracked a current copy of the bill down yet but will link it once I find it.
Imagine that being thrown into the electors face during election time that they care more about chasing fees and money than they do about our first responders.

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I thought most on this board thought Isbia was the second coming?
It's really bizarre how there is this narrative that Mat Ishbia is a clownshow.. The team didn't perform well, all season but it was essentially a new group of guys with a new coach. He's done everything right in regard to business and community and fan relations.

But I agree with Craig on his assessment. The Coyotes in Phoenix are NOT worth $1.2 billion which is why the talks never progressed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's really bizarre how there is this narrative that Mat Ishbia is a clownshow.. The team didn't perform well, all season but it was essentially a new group of guys with a new coach. He's done everything right in regard to business and community and fan relations.

But I agree with Craig on his assessment. The Coyotes in Phoenix are NOT worth $1.2 billion which is why the talks never progressed.
You do know that Isbia is involved in a federal lawsuit? I guess innocent until proven guilty, but he is getting a break where AM is not. Not sure I agree with you about how the Suns have been constructed under his watch, but I don't follow basketball much. Speaking of money, were the Suns worth $4 billion or whatever Isbia paid?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
"The first year was sick," one NHL player told ESPN. "We were all excited to check it out and honestly it was a cool place to play. Crowd was great, it got loud. But it was a novelty. When we went back this year, nobody was looking forward to the experience outside of a trip to Arizona. It's like, 'We have to do this s--- again?' I don't know how their players put up with it for so long."

This is such an entitled quote from an opposing player who likely had to play, max, 2 or 3 games in Mullett a year. Get over yourself.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Doan worked for the Coyotes after his retirement as chief hockey development officer but had higher aspirations, eventually seeking to become their president of hockey operations in 2023. According to a source, he was told he "wasn't ready" for the position, a verdict handed down by the owner's son Alex Meruelo Jr., the team's chief brand officer who had taken a more active interest in the hockey operations department.

I agree that Doan is not ready to be POHO (a more senior role than BA), but also, f*** AM Jr.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
'Mistrust of the Coyotes after the Glendale debacle"

I was told by other posters, just the orher day, that this wasn't much of a factor.

Anyways, AM steps on toes and doesn't pay his fair share, ripping people off along the way. Abuse of power.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I loved Warren Zevon song and the Black Keys, but they would also play "One More Time" -Daft Punk after a goal. Like, "One more goal!" My favorite band/musicians. They broke up a year ago and now my Coyotes are gone.

Reactions: Edenjung

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I agree that Doan is not ready to be POHO (a more senior role than BA), but also, f*** AM Jr.

Need to read that article. Doan wasn't ready for the job and that's why he's learning under Brad Treveling in Toronto.

Like him or not, Junior had the clout of his father behind him..

Going back to remember when Jerry Reinsdorf was trying to buy the Coyotes and it was thought he was going to turn it over to his son. At least Michael Reinsdorf had experience owning a minor league franchise.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Need to read that article. Doan wasn't ready for the job and that's why he's learning under Brad Treveling in Toronto.

Going back to remember when Jerry Reinsdorf was trying to buy the Coyotes and it was thought he was going to turn it over to his son. At least Michael Reinsdorf had experience owning a minor league franchise.
Hulsizer wanted to buy the team. A lot of people would. Glendale just wanted to kick the team out. There's no Ifs and Ors Buts. I'm not happy with AM but I don't blame him for sticking them with a bill.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hulsizer wanted to buy the team. A lot of people would. Glendale just wanted to kick the team out. There's no Ifs and Ors Buts. I'm not happy with AM but I don't blame him for sticking them with a bill.

Glendale wanted them locked down for another 12 years........... at minimum.

Why do people refuse to get it into their heads that the Coyotes were a major traffic driver??

And Hulsizer was a clown.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

I read the article. I am saying Jr. shouldn't be the messenger boy.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad