Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I spent nearly two decades buying lower bowl season tix. Four seats, full season. But I shouldn't have to do that in order for Arizona to "earn" a franchise.

A franchise is a business with a product that needs to earn the business of consumers. It is not a religion that demands a purity test of its adherents and withholds its promises based on their worthiness.

You're right, it's just a hockey team. The entire burden of proof is on them, not the people whose money they want. Period.
Okay, but they were still here when you were doing that. :naughty:

Edit: smart assedness aside. I believe you stopped for economic reasons, kids in college etc.? That’s all good, there should have been at least two potentials to take your place in this size of an area. Also, I’d wager if money was no option, you’d have kept on with the season tix… it’s in your blood and that’s obvious, whether you want to admit it or not.

Last edited:

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I’m not judging anyone, I’m putting a warning out there, because most will experience far worse than this.
I supported this team for 18 years as a sth, missing maybe a dozen games. This game, this team was what my son and I did for nearly two decades together, that same son died at 24.
Please note that I also warned that ownership were asshats. This end result should come as no surprise to anyone.
My dad died when I was 23 and hockey was the main thing we talked about and watched too. Not from Arizona so wasn't our local team but if we were it would have been. Our local team was mainly what we talked about over the years.

Everyone grieves differently. Everyone feels differently. If you don't understand why someone is upset than don't act like it's a problem that they are. People will go through worse than this...maybe! But even if/when they do that doesn't invalidate how they felt about this.

People are wired differently and what matters to you might not matter to someone else and vice versa. We all have different situations and it's never the exact same. My cat died nearly a year ago and that loss was on par with my Dad's despite me having my cat for only 12 years. For others, death of a pet would mean nothing. None of those are the wrong way to feel. There is no right way to feel.

There's no point in comparing suffering and "warning" people to toughen up. There's no wrong or right way to cope with things. And there's no wrong way to feel. Whether people feel more strongly about loss of an NHL team, or death of a loved one, or losing their job, or whatever, it has nothing to do with you. Don't blame the fans for feeling the way they do or for "not supporting the team enough" and don't be a dick to people grieving the team when you apparently don't understand why they would even be doing that.

Your own feelings about how the writing was on the wall, the fans never cared about the team, and that the hockey team moving is no big deal are all perfectly valid personal feelings too. I'm not gonna shit on you for having those. But you don't get to shit on other people for having a different opinion or for coping worse than you are.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I spent nearly two decades buying lower bowl season tix. Four seats, full season. But I shouldn't have to do that in order for Arizona to "earn" a franchise.

A franchise is a business with a product that needs to earn the business of consumers. It is not a religion that demands a purity test of its adherents and withholds its promises based on their worthiness.

You're right, it's just a hockey team. The entire burden of proof is on them, not the people whose money they want. Period.
Well IF he gets his project, that's where he'll increase his wealth. At that point there's no excuse to spend what it takes to put a competitive team on the ice. Then IF we find another Armstrong that can build a team the people will come. That's all we've ever needed. That is a proven fact in this state. If the team is good, the people come. But it's never been about that. It's always been the land that will make the owner the wealth he demands to own the team. Once the team was detached from West Gate, we were f***ed. If only the GoDaddy guy bought the team or Meruelo bought West Gate...

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
They were good when they got here. We did suffer after the lockout, but it’s not always going to be sunshine and roses. Instead of hanging in there, this fanbase stayed away. After Gretzky left we made the playoffs and the following year attendance was still poor, that went on for two additional years, including the year after our best season ever. Yeah, there were work stoppages etc., but a true fanbase (diehards) hangs in there. I don’t think that’s too much to ask in a metro this size.

You forget in how all that time with league ownership and the circus known as the Glendale city council, that we were designated by the media (including our own) to be the number one candidate for stock ownership in U-Haul.??

Can’t build beyond the hardcore fanbase if they all think you aren’t going to be around much longer.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
My dad died when I was 23 and hockey was the main thing we talked about and watched too. Not from Arizona so wasn't our local team but if we were it would have been. Our local team was mainly what we talked about over the years.

Everyone grieves differently. Everyone feels differently. If you don't understand why someone is upset than don't act like it's a problem that they are. People will go through worse than this...maybe! But even if/when they do that doesn't invalidate how they felt about this.

People are wired differently and what matters to you might not matter to someone else and vice versa. We all have different situations and it's never the exact same. My cat died nearly a year ago and that loss was on par with my Dad's despite me having my cat for only 12 years. For others, death of a pet would mean nothing. None of those are the wrong way to feel. There is no right way to feel.

There's no point in comparing suffering and "warning" people to toughen up. There's no wrong or right way to cope with things. And there's no wrong way to feel. Whether people feel more strongly about loss of an NHL team, or death of a loved one, or losing their job, or whatever, it has nothing to do with you. Don't blame the fans for feeling the way they do or for "not supporting the team enough" and don't be a dick to people grieving the team when you apparently don't understand why they would even be doing that.

Your own feelings about how the writing was on the wall, the fans never cared about the team, and that the hockey team moving is no big deal are all perfectly valid personal feelings too. I'm not gonna shit on you for having those. But you don't get to shit on other people for having a different opinion or for coping worse than you are.
What I’m brought to the conversation was facts, not feelings.
Many fans do care.
The team leaving is a big deal, just not very big, in the overall scope of life.

You forget in how all that time with league ownership and the circus known as the Glendale city council, that we were designated by the media (including our own) to be the number one candidate for stock ownership in U-Haul.??

Can’t build beyond the hardcore fanbase if they all think you aren’t going to be around much longer.
Only if the non hardcore aren’t fans of the game.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Mental health? Over losing a hockey team?
Man, I hope none of you ever has to face a real challenge/loss, if this constitutes a mental health issue.
I mean more on the side of stress, anger and other emotions that can contribute to physical and psychological problems. Like sleeplessness or lack of motivation.

The latter one is what i experienced a bit after the last game.
But overall i would not compare it to other more severe mental health problems, but it can contribute to both existing ones and ones that are developing. For example i already experienced loss this year. Really unexpected death of a family friend. Add to that a lot of stress, frustration and fear of failure and you get a potend mix that can influence you a lot. Even a thing that others might see as minor can have a big impact by tipping the scale in one direction.

@ParisSaintGermain
I know, as someone who also watched the team from afar it is also quite hard. Espcially because i have, besides the people in here, nobody that cares enough about hockey to understand it or talk about it. Which makes it harder to cope with it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
But to my own surprise, I feel so f***ING angry about this

Me too. Wasn't bothering me until the day of the last game and then the finality sunk in. I was feeling a little down that day, which surprised me somewhat.

Following the the Utah HC helps cope. Other than different kit in a different city, it's the same team with the same faces.

Reactions: lanky

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Exactly correct. And that isn't only true for hockey, but any sports franchise, and maybe most entertainment products. If the value isn't there, the consumer most times will not attend.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well IF he gets his project, that's where he'll increase his wealth. At that point there's no excuse to spend what it takes to put a competitive team on the ice. Then IF we find another Armstrong that can build a team the people will come. That's all we've ever needed. That is a proven fact in this state. If the team is good, the people come. But it's never been about that. It's always been the land that will make the owner the wealth he demands to own the team. Once the team was detached from West Gate, we were f***ed. If only the GoDaddy guy bought the team or Meruelo bought West Gate...
Every business is about money, and the landscape in a sports franchise, especially the NHL has changed over the years. It's no longer viable by having only an arena, like in years past. That is why you see other sports teams build new arenas its with and entertainment district. I agree with you that if the team is good the people will come.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You guys, Steve Peters is burning down every bridge he has left on PHNX YouTube right now in case you want some cathartic release...

EDIT: Here is the rant, clipped for your convenience.

Last edited:
Reactions: RemoAZ and Kai Yo T

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah, because we've already seen what he's done... :sarcasm:

Easier to dogpile on Meruelo than to take a long look at the 20 years worth ineptitude by all the parties involved (including the NHL) that cratered not only just the franchise, but the entire market itself.

If people are going to pine over a guy like Ryan Smith and wonder why the Coyotes couldn’t have an owner like him you better go back and realize Bill Foley was offered the Coyotes once. And after just one look decided he was better off going to Vegas and starting from scratch.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
@Coyotedroppings As a fan I owe the Coyotes nothing. Over the 24 years in existence, the Coyotes failed in every conceivable way to engender fan loyalty Loyalty is earned by a team through good fan relations, ownership stability and true effort to build a Cup contender. No surprise at all that casual fans stayed away.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
You guys, Steve Peters is burning down every bridge he has left on PHNX YouTube right now in case you want some cathartic release...

How the f*** can he have his son run the team?
He had all the pieces for success there. Shane Doan was there.
For gods sake, why did Garry allow this bucket of apples to buy the team?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad