Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Piece of shit will be interviewing on Burns and Gambo’s radio station in 40 minutes. Probably patting himself on the back for his investment

Reactions: Nowotny

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
My condolences, you deserved better.

The NHL bungled the PR of this so badly that even if a franchise flip-flop of Utah expansion for active Arizona is a good idea, they didn't even remotely try to sell it that way and did the max damage possible. This just sucks in every way.

I hope an NHL arena in an accessible location to the market, an owner who isn't a shyster and the opportunity to just be a normal ordinary NHL franchise (for the first time ever) comes soon.

Hope to see you in 2028!

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
It was previously asked by Morgan if the rights to ann expansion team are assignable. I sure hope so.
I talked the Craig and Petey for a bit last night at the game and asked this exact question. Craig wasn't sure.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Am I reading this right, Meruelo interviewed by Gambo? Should be interesting

Can confirm.

1713475965289.png

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I talked the Craig and Petey for a bit last night at the game and asked this exact question. Craig wasn't sure.

Strictly assignable? I'd guess not. Bundled with other partners is the more likely possibility but would they all have to be approved (putting up yet another potential roadblock on letting him back in)

Also one other aspect to this whole thing, whatever money Meurelo is getting in the end out of this, if he needs to pay the full billion back aren't there some serious tax considerations here? Yes I know rich people have plenty of ways to shell money around but I don't think he's getting out of all of it when we're talking a few hundred million dollars here.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
My condolences, you deserved better.

The NHL bungled the PR of this so badly that even if a franchise flip-flop of Utah expansion for active Arizona is a good idea, they didn't even remotely try to sell it that way and did the max damage possible. This just sucks in every way.

I hope an NHL arena in an accessible location to the market, an owner who isn't a shyster and the opportunity to just be a normal ordinary NHL franchise (for the first time ever) comes soon.

Hope to see you in 2028!
Thanks!

It was poorly managed/messaged at every level. Meruelo and Co are a hot mess.....BOG wanted him out at any cost and gave him 5 year expansion grace period if he can pull off (highly unlikely) a new arena just to get him out of the NHL owners club. Meruelo no doubt has threatened lawsuits if his rights are not protected and here we are.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Thanks!

It was poorly managed/messaged at every level. Meruelo and Co are a hot mess.....BOG wanted him out at any cost and gave him 5 year expansion grace period if he can pull off (highly unlikely) a new arena just to get him out of the NHL owners club. Meruelo no doubt has threatened lawsuits if his rights are not protected and here we are.

I know I look like a noob here, because I'm usually in the Business of Hockey forum.

I kinda disagree on the idea that the NHL is doing an about-face on Meruelo (they've seen A LOT WORSE in a Coyotes owner and other owners).

When everyone was speculating wildly that the NHL was forcing Meruelo to sell, I opined that I think it's more "They liked what they heard from Smith, were willing to expand to Salt Lake. But he has the Delta Center now, so instead of making him wait 3-4 years to build a hockey operations staff and draft a roster, trade the expansion draft to Arizona so the NHL gets one complete organization for the next 3-5 years, and the Coyotes' Arena/expansion draft will be team #33."

I view the situation as THAT. Not an abandonment of AM or PHX. But in typical NHL fashion, they bungled the hell out of the PR.

They could have SOLD THAT. Just announce Salt Lake as an expansion team to start play in 5 years. Have Smith say "We'll be ready. I feel we could be ready faster than that. If the Arizona Coyotes would like to use the Delta Center while they wait for the arena they deserve, we'd certainly welcome them..." and have it escalate, like he wants to trade his expansion draft for your roster.

Instead the NHL has done a horrible job of avoiding the appearance of "the death of the Coyotes." It's a travesty.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Rights aren't assignable and strict conditions for taking on Partners who need to pass NHL test. According to Lebrun those on the inside don't believe Mureulo can get arena deal done.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Rights aren't assignable and strict conditions for taking on Partners who need to pass NHL test. According to Lebrun those on the inside don't believe Mureulo can get arena deal done.
No duh.
They want to get rid of that asshole as fast as possible.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I know I look like a noob here, because I'm usually in the Business of Hockey forum.

Instead the NHL has done a horrible job of avoiding the appearance of "the death of the Coyotes." It's a travesty.
You're not wrong, although I see it as more of a "don't hold your breath, AZ". Which is probably accurate. As it is, we now get 5 years of "can this guy who was only slightly less awful than your previous owners get this done? and if he does we'll give him team 33 (or 34, etc.. I'm now totally on board with your "32 -> 36", that's you right? :) Sorry, been a while since I've been over there)

KevFu

May 22, 2009
You're not wrong, although I see it as more of a "don't hold your breath, AZ". Which is probably accurate. As it is, we now get 5 years of "can this guy who was only slightly less awful than your previous owners get this done? and if he does we'll give him team 33 (or 34, etc.. I'm now totally on board with your "32 -> 36", that's you right? :) Sorry, been a while since I've been over there)

Heh, yup, that's totally me.

Once you go to 33, you're not going to be at 33 for long. And you have the NHL taking meetings with Salt Lake/Smith, Atlanta/Two Groups, and Houston/Fertitta. And always have Quebec in the hole.

I think the negative "don't hold your breath" feelings about the fact that Meruelo doesn't seem to be someone people are interested in doing business with on the arena front. The Tempe deal would have been PERFECT but he failed miserably at it.

But another way to look at it is:
- Meruelo gets an arena deal done, yay, Coyotes are back. If only we had a better owner...
- When that clock hits zero, the NHL can sell the Phoenix market to anyone.

The Diamondbacks are going to play a major role if that clock hits zero.
It's 2024, and I assume the Chase lease is through 2027. If the DBacks get a new stadium, what happens to Chase? That's a prime piece of real estate perfect for a sports franchise...

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
The Diamondbacks are going to play a major role if that clock hits zero.
It's 2024, and I assume the Chase lease is through 2027. If the DBacks get a new stadium, what happens to Chase? That's a prime piece of real estate perfect for a sports franchise...
Or two. As it will be right next to a 35 year old basketball arena on a 7 year old big renovation. Hmm.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

They will air this again at 5:00 pst., but you can see Meruelo's face in the YouTube.

Two biggest things that bothered me were, him talking (they way I heard it anyway), like he needs the theme park district and calling the players his kids, stating he's spoken with them and helped BA pick them. Hopefully I'm misunderstanding regarding the latter, as I'm certain he has nothing to do with drafting the players, other than being on the stage with hockey ops.

Edit: Another concern was him "thinking" he has a meeting upcoming with the city of Phoenix, when (as I understand it), they've seemingly been avoiding him.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

They will air this again at 5:00 pst., but you can see Meruelo's face in the YouTube.

Two biggest things that bothered me were, him talking (they way I heard it anyway), like he needs the theme park district and calling the players his kids, stating he's spoken with them and helped BA pick them.

The theme park district is basically a subsidy, and it's right out of the old Ice Clown playbook. It's the kind of "creative financing" thing that made it easy for the Tempe vote to get submarined because the opposition exploited the idea that the "private financing" talking point was a sham.

The other stuff is just straight gaslighting, pitched at the most gullible in the audience.

Reactions: Nowotny

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The theme park district is basically a subsidy, and it's right out of the old Ice Clown playbook. It's the kind of "creative financing" thing that made it easy for the Tempe vote to get submarined because the opposition exploited the idea that the "private financing" talking point was a sham.

The other stuff is just straight gaslighting, pitched at the most gullible in the audience.
I know, it's the district (that has not been approved yet) that is my concern.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I think it's gonna be challenged, maybe by Goldwater, if it gets any traction.
I don't see Goldwater as a problem on that, we'll see.... maybe.
I know I don't like it, at least not when the proponents are always taughting it as not being a tax. Better to be upfront and not act like you're trying to hide something, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad