Rumor: All Purpose Anthony Duclair Trade Talk (Duke requested trade, Coyotes trying to grant it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Where is everyone hearing Domi is now pouting or upset etc..? Was this on the media somewhere?

Pure speculation. Also works with the narrative that it could be affecting this play. Unless someone has heard otherwise, I believe it is more of a fear we all have around here.

PCSD

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If Rick Dudley gets the axe from the Habs then he’s the guy.

Hmm. Interesting idea. A great hockey mind for sure. But is there any indication he’s on thin ice in Montreal? I could see Bergevin getting canned for sure, but not so much Dudley. Maybe they’ll promote him to the top job, though I don’t believe he speaks French.

My only reservation with Dudley is he has a reputation of being a bit of a stickler. Feaster had a good article on this when he worked for THN. Dudley was Assistsnt GM to Feaster in Tampa and wanted to tinker constantly. Feaster was more the type to let it ride. They differed on trading Lecavalier (pre-Cup years). Feaster wanted to keep Lecavalier.

In all, I don’t think I’d be opposed to Dudley but I hope we’d look at some other options too.

Ken Holland could be a great add. Do the Wings dump him if they miss the playoffs again? He’s handed out some terrible contracts in recent years but the overall track record is still great. Besides, he just needs to be a sounding board for Chayka.

One other idea is Mike Gillis. He built a Cup contender in Vancouver. He also has a pre existing relationship with Chayka via Stathletes.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I don't see the coaching staff doing enough to develop him. Look at Keller. He was put right on the top line with two skilled players and left there for many games to get his feet under him. Why can't we do something similar with Strome? If anything, as a center, you'd think he'd need that even more. How much better does Fischer look after a sustained period with two skilled forwards? I just don't get why we're ****ing around with Strome so much. It's like Turris all over again.

Keller is a terrible comparison as he showed more in one camp than Strome has in years in our system.

Strome WAS put with skilled guys and looked too slow to keep up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yandover and Mosby

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hmm. Interesting idea. A great hockey mind for sure. But is there any indication he’s on thin ice in Montreal? I could see Bergevin getting canned for sure, but not so much Dudley. Maybe they’ll promote him to the top job, though I don’t believe he speaks French.

My only reservation with Dudley is he has a reputation of being a bit of a stickler. Feaster had a good article on this when he worked for THN. Dudley was Assistsnt GM to Feaster in Tampa and wanted to tinker constantly. Feaster was more the type to let it ride. They differed on trading Lecavalier (pre-Cup years). Feaster wanted to keep Lecavalier.

In all, I don’t think I’d be opposed to Dudley but I hope we’d look at some other options too.

Ken Holland could be a great add. Do the Wings dump him if they miss the playoffs again? He’s handed out some terrible contracts in recent years but the overall track record is still great. Besides, he just needs to be a sounding board for Chayka.

One other idea is Mike Gillis. He built a Cup contender in Vancouver. He also has a pre existing relationship with Chayka via Stathletes.
I think when Bergevin is canned they will clean everybody out. Dudley seems content to play advisor role at this stage of his career; which unless Holland is brought in as a President, seems unlikely for him to play that role. I don't envision Chayka remaining as GM if Holland is brought in a GM level position.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keller is a terrible comparison as he showed more in one camp than Strome has in years in our system.

Strome WAS put with skilled guys and looked too slow to keep up.

Strome played very well when he first came up, then they screwed with his wingers, and I think they put him back on wing and his play suffered. Strome has consistency problems, just like Duclair, but Strome should be up with the Coyotes getting some experience for next year. We are already looking at next year. I wish they would bring up Wood for a look see.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Strome played very well when he first came up, then they screwed with his wingers, and I think they put him back on wing and his play suffered. Strome has consistency problems, just like Duclair, but Strome should be up with the Coyotes getting some experience for next year. We are already looking at next year. I wish they would bring up Wood for a look see.
It really is stretch to suggest that a 1st round pick played really well when he accumulated exactly 1 point in 11 games this season.

Reactions: Yandover

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Strome played very well when he first came up, then they screwed with his wingers, and I think they put him back on wing and his play suffered.

Great wingers have pace and situational intelligence. Strome is rather slow but is intelligent.

Situation 1 - was put as a center with fast wingers with limited intelligence. He demonstrated lack of experience there, was unable to make it work and it did not click. The wingers were unable to carry him even for a limited amount of games (cannot blame them) ----> showed he needed more AHL (or just more experience in general)

Situation 2- was put as a winger, but as he has little pace... automatic fail. I suspect he will always fail at that position.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It really is stretch to suggest that a 1st round pick played really well when he accumulated exactly 1 point in 11 games this season.

True, but you have to put him in a position to succeed, just like the rest of the kids. I have no idea why they brought him up and decided to put him on the wing as I don't think he ever has played wing. I also do not understand why they put Domi at center.

Reactions: _Del_ and RemoAZ

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
True, but you have to put him in a position to succeed, just like the rest of the kids. I have no idea why they brought him up and decided to put him on the wing as I don't think he ever has played wing. I also do not understand why they put Domi at center.
My guess is they wanted to reward his growth and show him first hand how much better he has to get to be a difference maker in the NHL. Then send him back to work on his game again and revisit again down the road. He isn't an instant or easy success story so the team is trying to massage the best out of him. I don't have any issue with that.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I wouldn;'t give too much weight to Domi leaving if Duclair does too based on their friendship. Domi got his service dog after his rookie season and that meant him and Duke weren't roomates anymore. They clearly aren't joined at the hip.

Reactions: Yandover

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Jakey, some times it really is the player's fault. Strome was too slow in both his foot speed and, more importantly, in his processing speed. He is a great AHL player but showed that in the NHL, where most players can skate fast, and most players can process at game speed.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
With the Coyotes now on their bye week, I wonder if we see this Duclair deal happen shortly. Would certainly seem to fit with Dreger's "week or so" timeline.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
With the Coyotes now on their bye week, I wonder if we see this Duclair deal happen shortly. Would certainly seem to fit with Dreger's "week or so" timeline.

I hope it doesn't. If he keeps playing like this he'll score another ~5 goals by the end of the month and his stats will look pretty insane for a guy with limited minutes. Value++

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jakey, some times it really is the player's fault. Strome was too slow in both his foot speed and, more importantly, in his processing speed. He is a great AHL player but showed that in the NHL, where most players can skate fast, and most players can process at game speed.
I disagree with Strome being too slow either physically or mentally. I believe he had the most TA's per game played on the team and he back checked with the best of them. The problem I see is his consistency. He played very well when he played center, as he was getting involved physically which we have never seen before. Then they changed his wingers and his play faltered so they moved him back to wing which was totally dumb. I have no problem with them sending Strome down, but to say that is where he will be for the rest of the year is not right. If he keeps on tearing it up in the A, bring him back up. Dangle that carrot in front of him.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I disagree with Strome being too slow either physically or mentally. I believe he had the most TA's per game played on the team and he back checked with the best of them. The problem I see is his consistency. He played very well when he played center, as he was getting involved physically which we have never seen before. Then they changed his wingers and his play faltered so they moved him back to wing which was totally dumb. I have no problem with them sending Strome down, but to say that is where he will be for the rest of the year is not right. If he keeps on tearing it up in the A, bring him back up. Dangle that carrot in front of him.

I could be wrong, but it's hard to believe a player can perform so well in the AHL and not be a legitimate NHLer. (I know there are other examples, but still seems unlikely)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I want Strome to succeed as much as anybody and I watched him closely in all of his NHL games. I really do fear that he is a bust and would be more than thrilled to be wrong.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I want Strome to succeed as much as anybody and I watched him closely in all of his NHL games. I really do fear that he is a bust and would be more than thrilled to be wrong.
I think I agree, looking like a bust. Strome's problem is that if he is not good enough to produce in the top 6, he won't be in the NHL because his non producing parts of his game are not NHL caliber. I hope with more time he can make it though....

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
In my dream scenario Chayka and Tocchet have met and discussed giving Duclair opportunities to showcase for better trade value. Tocchet agrees and gives Duclair the chances. Duclair capitalizes and rethinks his trade demands. All sides agree that things have changed and now that Duclair is getting chances and producing, there's really no need to go on with all this drama and negativity, and everyone needs to just let the water go under the bridge. No trade necessary.

More likely scenario is we trade him for near-bust prospect and a mid-round pick in a future draft. Duclair scores another 12 goals for his new team before the end of the season, and our "organization" once again looks to the world like the withered, flaccid donkey dick that it is.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I really cannot sense that Tocchet is remotely interested in changing his stance on Duclair.

In a way, he is a old school guy because he has been in the NHL for so long in playing and non playing roles; if you hand a trade request in, you turn your back on a team/franchise.

I think here it is a case of showcasing him for the chance of a better return in a trade; and seeing how Duclair is responding to that (greater energy, greater effort), it can only frustrate Tocchet further.

Ultimately this demonstrate that Chayka and Tocchet are really working together as Duclair is now almost the first name as guaranteed starter so that Chayka can get something a bit better for him.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We're so fundamentally broken that we will actually give players the minutes/linemates/opportunity to succeed in the NHL in order to play themselves out of town, but we stubbornly refuse to afford them that same opportunity to prove they can break into our 12 dressed forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad