Rumor: All Purpose Anthony Duclair Trade Talk (Duke requested trade, Coyotes trying to grant it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So
They should have traded him as soon as Dino Dave decided he didn't have enough "try" or wasn't sticky enough or whatever Dave's catch phrase was.
And if that was our evaluation, why would we care if his value was ****? That's what we valued him at, too. Anyone could see by how we handled him. It's only gone down while we # with him instead of moving on and letting him do the same.
No wonder noone seems like they want to be here.
the solution should have been sell Duclair at his absolute low instead of trying to restablish his scoring touch and salvage some semblance of trade value?

I'm not sure what happened to spur Tocchet so strongly against Duclair. I suspect it's more than how he showed up in camp out of shape. I don't like the situation Chayka is in and believe me I'd rather they reset the whole thing but judging by tone and body language that doesn't appear to be the desired course of action.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We didn't think he was an NHL player. How much value were we expecting or demanding?
And that wasn't his absolute low. His absolute low is now, after two coaches have jerked him around the same way, he's publicly demanded a trade, and we've painted ourselves into yet another corner with a young, skilled player.

Reactions: Yandover

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We didn't think he was an NHL player. How much value were we expecting or demanding?
And that wasn't his absolute low. His absolute low is now, after two coaches have jerked him around the same way, he's publicly demanded a trade, and we've painted ourselves into yet another corner with a young, skilled player.
I think his value was lower when he was toiling in the A for a non Dave Tippett coach and not scoring. But that's just me.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
His value is low regardless of his cherry picking high percentage shot, goal scoring in the NHL, because 3 NHL coaches and 1 coach before the NHL are fed up with him. Why? Who cares why, doesn't matter. The mistake was trading Yandle in the first place, and getting Duke as the return. NY was laughing when they made that trade under their breath.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
His value is low regardless of his cherry picking high percentage shot, goal scoring in the NHL, because 3 NHL coaches and 1 coach before the NHL are fed up with him. Why? Who cares why, doesn't matter. The mistake was trading Yandle in the first place, and getting Duke as the return. NY was laughing when they made that trade under their breath.

I believe that trade also resulted in drafting Chychrun.

Reactions: Yandover

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So

the solution should have been sell Duclair at his absolute low instead of trying to restablish his scoring touch and salvage some semblance of trade value?

I'm not sure what happened to spur Tocchet so strongly against Duclair. I suspect it's more than how he showed up in camp out of shape. I don't like the situation Chayka is in and believe me I'd rather they reset the whole thing but judging by tone and body language that doesn't appear to be the desired course of action.

I agree.

The team knows Duclair has talent, but only displays it when he wants to. I believe the team thought or hoped it was immaturity and he would grow out of it but if someone came with a deal they liked they would ship Duclair out of town regardless. Duclair is the one who put the team into a corner not the other way around. If Duke played the whole season like he did the last two games we would not be having this discussion. Don't forget, he went to the AHL last year and crapped the bed for that coach also.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think his value was lower when he was toiling in the A for a non Dave Tippett coach and not scoring. But that's just me.

I agree. His performance in the AHL ready surprised me. I thought he would tear it up down there.

NY is still laughing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
AD was in the doghouse with a coach in Juniors, another with the Rangers, another with Tippett, another with our AHL coach, and yet another with Tocchet. All these coaches weren't jerking AD around. AD was jerking them around. Consider picking your heroes, or your poster children for your causes, more carefully.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
AD was in the doghouse with a coach in Juniors, another with the Rangers, another with Tippett, another with our AHL coach, and yet another with Tocchet. All these coaches weren't jerking AD around. AD was jerking them around. Consider picking your heroes, or your poster children for your causes, more carefully.

Bingo!. I thought Duke would really turn it around this year, and he could if he gave the effort. Not much between the ears I'm afraid. He wouldn't be the first and he certainly won't be the last.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
So, again, if the narrative is/was he's garbage, why would we possibly care about what kind of return we got? Why not trade him for what his value was his rookie year? Just to compound our mistake?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So, again, if the narrative is/was he's garbage, why would we possibly care about what kind of return we got? Why not trade him for what his value was his rookie year? Just to compound our mistake?

Who said he was garbage? The organization knows Duke has talent, just not the consistent effort needed to be successful at the NHL level and they were probably hoping he would mature and give that effort needed.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

He's not garbage, and I don't think he's even a head case. He may just be the kind of person who needs a particular set of circumstances to fully realize his potential. I suppose "high maintenance" might be the best descriptor. The problem is that he's playing on a team that has zero capacity for maintenance at all.

I think Duke would flourish best on a team where he is a luxury - an "artisanal" sniper who can be deployed surgically. We are not that team by a long shot.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Exactly, Duke is the problem with 5 coaches now. I don't care if we trade him, what we get for him, or if he stays. His chances of being a decent NHL player the next 5 years are pretty low. Keeping or trading an inconsistent winger is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Duke isn't a difference maker for this team.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He's not garbage, and I don't think he's even a head case. He may just be the kind of person who needs a particular set of circumstances to fully realize his potential. I suppose "high maintenance" might be the best descriptor. The problem is that he's playing on a team that has zero capacity for maintenance at all.

I think Duke would flourish best on a team where he is a luxury - an "artisanal" sniper who can be deployed surgically. We are not that team by a long shot.

That's a strange thing to say for a team that employed Radim Vrbata for so many years. Duclair is fast too. He fits the new style perfectly. It is an extremely dumb move to trade the player, given the circumstances. He's cheap, has upside, is young, and fits. And, at some level, they failed him to the point where his only option appears to be a trade. This isn't a new thing with this organization.

There's no rationalizing this. It's just a dumb situation all around. Trading a young player you can't afford to lose for spare parts because you lack the ability and/or the patience to turn said young player into something useful.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That's a strange thing to say for a team that employed Radim Vrbata for so many years. Duclair is fast too. He fits the new style perfectly. It is an extremely dumb move to trade the player, given the circumstances. He's cheap, has upside, is young, and fits. And, at some level, they failed him to the point where his only option appears to be a trade. This isn't a new thing with this organization.

There's no rationalizing this. It's just a dumb situation all around. Trading a young player you can't afford to lose for spare parts because you lack the ability and/or the patience to turn said young player into something useful.
Runblad/Gormley, they waited too long to trade them.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That's a strange thing to say for a team that employed Radim Vrbata for so many years.

Maybe, but the Coyotes got rid of Vrbata twice in that space of time. It's kind of like their on-again off-again grit obsession - sign a pest/brawler, trade/demote him halfway through a season, rinse, repeat. I can see them dumping Duclair and then a year or so from now getting a guy very much like him.

Anyway, Duclair's speed isn't at issue - I think, based on what's been leaked in the media, what is at issue is when he decides to use it or not.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'll take Hartman. Obviously we'd have to add. Given he's a local boy, it almost certainly won't happen. It'll probably be Tomas f***ing Jurco and a 2019 3rd. Damnit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad