Speculation: All Picks After Patrischier

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I had a draft crush on Abramov last year. Yamamoto is a similar type of player, absolutely electric. Would love to trade back into the 1st if he falls to the late 20s.

We were on the same page last year and again this year.

Yamamoto, Lind, Lipanov, Papugaev, Comtois would all be welcomed later first round picks. Liljegren and Valimaki as Dmen. I still think Lilj is the best Dman and its looking like he may be a dropper steal for someone. Vali too.

Some others that I would be interested in making a little trade to ensure we could get one would be:
Matheos, Strome, and everyones new favorite in Entwistle.

I see that Max Fortier is back in the draft again this year and I'm hoping we have our eyes on him for a later pick.

LePalle

Aug 22, 2006
South Jersey
We were on the same page last year and again this year.
Add me to that club. I haven't gotten to see many prospects this year but last year I was big on Abramov and freaked out when we kept passing on him. :laugh: Also saw a bit of Yamamoto last year and was impressed.

I see that Max Fortier is back in the draft again this year and I'm hoping we have our eyes on him for a later pick.
Him too, couldn't believe he went undrafted.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
i would trade up for a bottom 5 pick in the 1st and take Popugayev

He might be there at #44. I doubt the Flyers would take him though. He's got some character concerns apparently. His junior club basically traded him in season to get rid of him. They weren't a rebuilding team either & he has junior eligibility still for next year.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He gets paid to be wrong? I want that job.

He gets paid to not even bother trying to get it right.

You know what's hard? Fact-checking high-school sports records and statistics. (Trust me)

You know what's not hard? Fact-checking ****ing facts about professional sports leagues.

He's a lazy dunce.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

It would depend on how late. Like I think there are better re-entries even to take in the mid rounds. After seeing what happened with Couturier and Palat, I'd like to not see that mistake again as relates to, if he is the guy, Hischier and his sidekick Fortier. But I'm not sure I think enough of Fortier, unless he slipped to a later range. Undersized, I think his supposed great skating is a touch exaggerated, can make questionable decisions, and though a skilled producer, doesn't give off to me a ton of NHL vibes. Last year of juniors too unless he plays as an overager.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Morgan Geekie is pretty much far & away the most intriguing re-entry this year. I guess he's a second round guy right now but perhaps he could be another Borgstrom when all is said & done.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Geekie, Ölund, Shvyryov stand out to me. Any one of those in the mid rounds could be a steal in the making.

I like Geekie, and he may very well be a 2nd rounder. Big and CHL are a good mix, unlike a lot of re-draftees. I go back and forth with him if I'd use a late 2nd or hope he is there later. Likely not at our pick, so it's just food for thought. More a value thing, as he likely will crack my top 62. Think he's really smart 2-way, a surprising passer, strong and a good forechecking player.....although he's listed at a scrawny weight, which is impressive. Skating in full stride is OK, but he really does have heavy feet when I've seen him. Muscle gain could help there too. I've thought he looked better to the eye than Rasmussen in some of the games too. It's actually embarrassing looking at his vs. Rasmussen's 5v5 scoring numbers (56 in 72 vs 19 in 50). Just those heavy feet and if he's more a good 3rd line/bottom 6 prospect because I'm not sure he's quite as skilled as his points indicate. More about the smarts. If he slipped to the 3rd round, then it'd be real interesting for me as our prototypical 3rd round size+floor pick, with some upside too. But his production may be too good to slip to there. Maybe he's the next Mark Stone, who the hell knows with these things. But I do like him regardless.

Last edited:

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
i would trade up for a bottom 5 pick in the 1st and take Popugayev

No.

Popugaev is one of the few prospects I've seen frequently, and in no way am I taking him top-45, and likely not even top-60. He has bust written all over him and somebody is going to get burned picking him up too soon.

If he's still there at #75, sure, take the flyer on him. But not in the first 2 rounds.

Issue 1: He's lazy. He's a big, rangy winger and has speed, but only in one direction and only when he thinks he's going to get a point on the play. If he's last guy out of his own zone on the breakout, he'll half-ass it up the ice and isn't part of the play, even as the trailer. If he's carrying the puck, and doesn't see a grade-a scoring chance, he half-***** it and usually turns the puck over. I've never seen him create something out of nothing, but he sure knows how to create nothing out of something.

Issue 2: The trade to PG. Popugaev's WHL agreement is not a standard "contract" that most Junior players sign. For 99% of players, their "agreement" [read: contract] is for the duration of their eligibility in the WHL - if you are 16 when you sign, it's a 5-year agreement, if you're 17, it's a 4-year agreement, etc. This ensures you're going to be in the WHL for the entirety of your eligibility, unless you make the NHL or nobody in the WHL wants you. However, Popugaev's agreement was only for 2-years (I cannot find a source to confirm this at the moment), meaning that he will no longer be obligated to play in the WHL for the 2017/18 season. From what I understand, he believes he is talented enough to be playing pro hockey as an 18 year old, either in the NHL or in Europe or Russia. This also means if he's drafted into the NHL but the team doesn't immediately offer him a contract, he's likely to look at other pro opportunities and never come back to the NHL.

Issue 3: Rumours of being "toxic" in the dressing room. Again, tough to verify, but like the Taylor Hall rumours, I have heard that Pop is a negative influence on the rest of the team. Take that as you will, but just another reason to avoid drafting this kid when there are other options available.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers don't really have the assets to trade up. To trade up from where they're at in round 2, you need 2 2nd round picks, and I don't see Hextall getting that aggressive and costing himself a 2nd next year when he might need it at the trade deadline.

Looks like Timmy removed that line

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not unless they trade one of the spare forwards for a pick before the ED.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not unless they trade one of the spare forwards for a pick before the ED.

Possible, but I'd say unlikely. Why would someone trade a 2nd round pick for Read or Raffl before free agency, much less the draft? Maybe for Laughton.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The obvious spot for something to happen is with that string of picks together in the 4th. I would be shocked if they made all 3, whether one is traded to move up elsewhere, one is traded for a 3rd next year, or both.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Possible, but I'd say unlikely. Why would someone trade a 2nd round pick for Read or Raffl before free agency, much less the draft? Maybe for Laughton.

Maybe a 3rd for Cousins or Leier.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
What's the price of moving up from 44 to the early 2nd or late first?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It cost us 29 + 61 to move up to 24 in 2015

Probably 44 + 81 to move up into the 35 range?

That should get it done.

It cost the Senators the Devils' choice of a 4th that year or a 3rd the following year to move from 42 to 36 in 2015. Depending on motivation of the team to move, other suitors, the exact slot around 35, etc it should either cost 81 or one of the 106-108 grouping.

To get to the late first would likely be prohibitively expensive. You might even have to do it in 2 jumps.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That should get it done.

It cost the Senators the Devils' choice of a 4th that year or a 3rd the following year to move from 42 to 36 in 2015. Depending on motivation of the team to move, other suitors, the exact slot around 35, etc it should either cost 81 or one of the 106-108 grouping.

To get to the late first would likely be prohibitively expensive. You might even have to do it in 2 jumps.

Yeah we would need two 2nds to even get the ball rolling on moving up into the 1st.

I wonder what we could get in a trade for guys like Raffl, Cousins, Read, Laughton, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad