All Ottawa Senators General Manager Dicussions

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He'll be in the NHL next season and then we can all laugh at anyone who downplayed his talent.

Him playing in the NHL next year will prove nothing at all, him being an impact player would but thats far from a guarantee. There was a time when quite a few posters around here would have suggested Rundblad was going to be better than Karlsson and I don't want to bring up the ridiculous comments made about Wiericoch.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What would u guys want from the Kings for both Phaneuf and Ryan at 50% retention?
Not really realistic for our team under a strict budget but I'll play along. We'd have to offset the 7M+ hit for nothing with some cheap roster players, so some one on an ELC plus we need to recoup picks Dorion has flushed away. I'd say Anderson-Dolan, Paul Ladue, 1st rounder in 2018, 2019 3rd and Trevor Lewis (to make room for you under the cap). Maybe throw in a swap there for Jack Campbell and Chris Dreidger there too so we have a cheap goalie who might be able to help out in the near future.

Handles1919

Jul 27, 2016
ottawa
Oh my, what an extremely bitter fan perspective to have. I don't want to even debate your points, I just feel bad.

Chin up man, next year will be better :)
bitter persepective? he's probably right and says hes glad they did the run

id say that your perspective is the worst one to have, or least head in the sand like

hard to debate that, even thoughyou seem to look down on 90% of the board thatdisagree with you

but im positive!! stop thinking rationally you guys and just reminice about the time we almost did somethin!!

Reactions: BuckyDornster

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
So are we now all in agreement that we need to clean house with the management staff this off season (if not earlier)?

Also is Dean Lombardi our agreed upon top candidate to take over as the GM?

I’d keep things the way they are until the off season when it comes to management and coaching. No point in messing up a good old tank.

I am very concerned with this franchise going forward. I hope we can figure it out, because we could have some very dark days ahead if we don’t.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Dahlen has been pursued heavily by SHL teams but uktimately decided to stay at Timra for the remainder of the season so he can help them earn promotion into the SHL. He also now leads the league in points.

He'll be in the NHL next season and then we can all laugh at anyone who downplayed his talent.

So why isn't Dahlen on that Olympic team?

No NHL participation. Rules around who can go and who can't. Was Dahlen eligible to play in the Olympics? What interest would Vancouver have in telling him to continue playing tier 2 hockey instead of the Olympics? You think the 20 Swedes that are going ahead of him will all be in the NHL next year too?

Handles1919

Jul 27, 2016
ottawa

No NHL participation. Rules around who can go and who can't. Was Dahlen eligible to play in the Olympics? What interest would Vancouver have in telling him to continue playing tier 2 hockey instead of the Olympics? You think the 20 Swedes that are going ahead of him will all be in the NHL next year too?
probably the same reason pettersson isn't there, because there young.

the D dahlen is 17 and an exception,, after that th youngest guy is 4 years older than dahlen

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Here's the thing; the kids is playing Tier 2 Euro hockey for the second year in a row now. We haven't even seen him play against Sweden's top men let alone the AHL men, and finally NHL pros. Does that mean he can't be a good NHLer, no, but the odds are against it, as they are for any 2nd round pick making the NHL, and he hasn't even faced men on NA ice yet.

Lots of people loved him around here, but our staff obviously did not. We're getting hammered by folks over and over again about his value, and how good he's going to be, but it's all smoke and mirrors made up by angry fans. WHEN he actually makes the NHL, and IF he ever becomes as good a player as Burrows, THEN hammer away at us, but for the love of God, the kid is not an NHL player, or even close yet at this point so give it a rest.

We didn't trade Chabot for Burrows, we traded Dahlen, and just maybe our scouts knew something about the player that we didn't, and maybe they're just a bunch of fools, but no matter how loud folks shout around here, the jury is still waaaaay out on the issue.

As often happens, it becomes difficult to like certain players/prospects around here once the mob gets a hold of them and crafts them in its image.

Again, you're arguing the wrong thing.

Dahlen could've easily gotten us a better player than Burrows. We was viewed highly enough in the NHL to warrant a better return. Whatever kind of player he turns into in the future is irrelevant.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This GM's have mixed feelings on Dahlen myth needs to end. MacKenzie ensintially said 2/3rd of GMs see him as a top 9 player in the NHL. That's two thirds that expect him to be as good or significantly better than the version of Burrows we acquired. There is 1/3 according to MacKenzie that weren't sure if he could overcome some deficiencies in his toolset to make that happen, but acting as though that's a knock against him as a prospect suggests that this is unusual for very good prospects. You'd probably get similar splits for high picks like McLeod and maybe even Brown.

The trade was poor. You can end up with good team results in spite of a poor trade, and even players playing terribly can register points on important goals. Dorion rightly deserves an abundance of criticism for that trade, and subsequent signing. He did not get good value, and a handful of assists in the playoff run doesn't change that. Unforced errors like that are part of why we are where we are today.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Ottawa overpaid for Burrows.

Calgary overpaid for Lazar.

These things tend to balance themselves out.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
option? You know how that goes over in this

Not necessarily because he is the cheaper option. Did you not see the World Cup team he assembled for the US? Or those beautiful extensions for Dustin Brown and Gaborik?

"Lombardi will always be remembered for building a winner, but his emotional attachment to his players, who he considered his family, would be his downfall. Out of unwavering loyalty to his players, he forgot about another type of loyalty--the duty of loyalty that he legally owes to the Kings organization. It compromised the Kings as Lombardi signed extravagant and unwarranted contracts to Gaborik, Kopitar, and Brown. And it compromised the Kings as Lombardi failed to see the warning signs in Mike Richards."

Sound familiar??

Hard pass thanks.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Not necessarily because he is the cheaper option. Did you not see the World Cup team he assembled for the US? Or those beautiful extensions for Dustin Brown and Gaborik?

"Lombardi will always be remembered for building a winner, but his emotional attachment to his players, who he considered his family, would be his downfall. Out of unwavering loyalty to his players, he forgot about another type of loyalty--the duty of loyalty that he legally owes to the Kings organization. It compromised the Kings as Lombardi signed extravagant and unwarranted contracts to Gaborik, Kopitar, and Brown. And it compromised the Kings as Lombardi failed to see the warning signs in Mike Richards."

Sound familiar??

Hard pass thanks.

Lombardi has cups, so fans want him. Not disagreeing with you, but people look at that kind of thing. Funny thing is I don’t think Lombardi was considered all that great before he won those cups.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Here's the thing; the kids is playing Tier 2 Euro hockey for the second year in a row now. We haven't even seen him play against Sweden's top men let alone the AHL men, and finally NHL pros. Does that mean he can't be a good NHLer, no, but the odds are against it, as they are for any 2nd round pick making the NHL, and he hasn't even faced men on NA ice yet.

Lots of people loved him around here, but our staff obviously did not. We're getting hammered by folks over and over again about his value, and how good he's going to be, but it's all smoke and mirrors made up by angry fans. WHEN he actually makes the NHL, and IF he ever becomes as good a player as Burrows, THEN hammer away at us, but for the love of God, the kid is not an NHL player, or even close yet at this point so give it a rest.

We didn't trade Chabot for Burrows, we traded Dahlen, and just maybe our scouts knew something about the player that we didn't, and maybe they're just a bunch of fools, but no matter how loud folks shout around here, the jury is still waaaaay out on the issue.

As often happens, it becomes difficult to like certain players/prospects around here once the mob gets a hold of them and crafts them in its image.

Fourth year in a row, second year since he was drafted 42 overall.

I could never understand why "fans" who've seen overly hyped prospects, like Rundblad and Lazar, come and go and did not even live up to 30 or 40% of the hype, before they stepped on the ice for their first NHL game, have learned anything from these situations.

And then, when they don't play as expected, they start saying "play him more minutes" or "play him with better players" and then shift to " the Coach doesn't like prospects playing in the NHL over proven NHLers" and then comes "management has mismanaged him" or " the lying meddling owner is to blame".

You can bet anything you'd like, that whomever Ottawa drafts in the 2018 draft .......... some "fans" will instantly start beating the "play him 20 minutes plus in the NHL" drum.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Dahlen has been pursued heavily by SHL teams but uktimately decided to stay at Timra for the remainder of the season so he can help them earn promotion into the SHL. He also now leads the league in points.

So he will not play a single game in the AHL....... despite playing his entire life on International sized ice, and will just step into the NHL on day one?

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

I could never understand why "fans" who've seen overly hyped prospects, like Rundblad and Lazar, come and go and did not even live up to 30 or 40% of the hype, before they stepped on the ice for their first NHL game, have learned anything from these situations.

And then, when they don't play as expected, they start saying "play him more minutes" or "play him with better players" and then shift to " the Coach doesn't like prospects playing in the NHL over proven NHLers" and then comes "management has mismanaged him" or " the lying meddling owner is to blame".

You can bet anything you'd like, that whomever Ottawa drafts in the 2018 draft .......... some "fans" will instantly start beating the "play him 20 minutes plus in the NHL" drum.

It's true that most prospects fail. It's also true that some don't, and that it's necessarily to have very good players on cheap contracts to win in this league. Trading high-upside prospects for replacement-level 4th liners is something that should never happen.

Reactions: lancepitlick

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Hey Count Dracula, can you please tell enlighten us all about how trading anything for an Alex Burrows complete with a 2 year extension and a NMC clause was a good idea?? If you can't, maybe JD1 can? I don't expect much.

Thanks.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Swedish Olympic Team

Goaltenders: Jhonas Enroth (HC Dynamo Minsk), Viktor Fasth (Växjö Lakers HC), Magnus Hellberg (Kunlun Red Star)

Defensemen
Staffan Kronwall (Lokomotiv Yaroslavl), Mikael Wikstrand (Färjestad BK), Patrik Hersley (SKA St. Petersburg), Johan Fransson (Genève-Servette), Simon Bertilsson (Brynäs IF), Rasmus Dahlin (Frölunda HC), Jonas Ahnelöv (Avangard Omsk), Erik Gustafsson (Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk).

Forwards
Dennis Everberg (Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk), Pär Lindholm (Skellefteå AIK), Joel Lundqvist (Frölunda HC), Alexander Bergström (Sibir Novosibirsk), Viktor Stålberg (EV Zug), Dick Axelsson (Färjestad BK), Oscar Möller (Skellefteå AIK), Carl Klingberg (EV Zug), Anton Lander (AK Bars Kazan), Linus Omark (Salavat Yulaev Ufa), Fredrik Pettersson (ZSC Lions), Joakim Lindström (Skellefteå AIK)

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It's true that most prospects fail. It's also true that some don't, and that it's necessarily to have very good players on cheap contracts to win in this league. Trading high-upside prospects for replacement-level 4th liners is something that should never happen.

With both Kelly and Neil not returning, the Senators' "fourth line" needed replacements, and I think Burrows was seen as two year stopgap replacement ...... yes his price tag is a little higher than most people like, but there are a lot of everpaid players on this, and many other teams.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hey Count Dracula, can you please tell enlighten us all about how trading anything for an Alex Burrows complete with a 2 year extension and a NMC clause was a good idea?? If you can't, maybe JD1 can? I don't expect much.

Thanks.

you know Chezzz I don't really credit you with enough insight to understand what gets said on the boards and you get called out by the likes of Mendes on the BS you post.

the only place I've ever weighed in on the deal was in saying Dahlen isn't what he's hyped to be here. I'm not going to defend Burrows or his play this year. I may have defended it last spring as acquiring a vet for a low end prospect. the vet not having a good year doesn't have much to do with Dahlen though does it.

please don't include me in your delusions going forward.

Reactions: coladin

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
you know Chezzz I don't really credit you with enough insight to understand what gets said on the boards and you get called out by the likes of Mendes on the BS you post.

Thanks tips. Not sure I need to stoop so low to include personal attacks, just thought two guys with a similar opinion could chime in.

You post on Dahlen was very sarcastic. Re-read it and tell us all that you weren't mocking the poster who basically just gave his opinion.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We probably miss the playoffs without Burrows' run to finish the year, and it's just a typical throw away deadline deal like 2nd's for Sutton, Smolinski and Cullen in years past. Yes its lost assets but deadline deals usually are since they're expiring contracts. Its just that extension that has burned us.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00