OT: All Non-Hockey Sports Talk (2020-21 edition): MLB, NBA, NFL, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Getting Byron Jones back today was huge for the fins defense. The secondary all slid back into their natural positions. Just a HUGE win in San Francisco today!!!

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I know there is many UFC fans here, but if you guys ever want to check boxing out, tonight‘s the night. Lomachenko versus Lopez, free fight at 10 Eastern on ESPN/TSN.
Loma is considered the best pound for pound fighter in the world. The unification of the light weight title is on the line, 4 belts.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I know there is many UFC fans here, but if you guys ever want to check boxing out, tonight‘s the night. Lomachenko versus Lopez, free fight at 10 Eastern on ESPN/TSN.
Loma is considered the best pound for pound fighter in the world. The unification of the light weight title is on the line, 4 belts.

Love Loma. Watched the best of Loma last night, basically just his last three fights to get ready for it.
My issue with him is he's been so dominant at lower weight classes but hasn't been as much at 135lbs.
He's been knocked down by Linears, had a couple decisions where he would KO guys at 126 and 130lbs.

He's 32 now and Lopez is 23.
Lopez has a slight reach advantage and is full of confidence and cockiness.
Feel Lopez can take some risk to go for the big KO since he's still very young, he can repair his record/fame/clout if he loses where if Loma loses tonight, people will start to question if he's in his twilight years.

Gonna be a very interesting fight, I think I still go Loma by decision, he's the vet, been in way bigger fights with all the pressure and spotlight but Lopez won't make it easy and gives Loma a good go. If Lopez does win, it'll be early as Loma is a bit of a slow starter, usually figures out his opponents by 4th or 5th round and turns up pressure and volume of punches to overwhelm them.

Who you got?

Reactions: IM Clutcm

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Love Loma. Watched the best of Loma last night, basically just his last three fights to get ready for it.
My issue with him is he's been so dominant at lower weight classes but hasn't been as much at 135lbs.
He's been knocked down by Linears, had a couple decisions where he would KO guys at 126 and 130lbs.

He's 32 now and Lopez is 23.
Lopez has a slight reach advantage and is full of confidence and cockiness.
Feel Lopez can take some risk to go for the big KO since he's still very young, he can repair his record/fame/clout if he loses where if Loma loses tonight, people will start to question if he's in his twilight years.

Gonna be a very interesting fight, I think I still go Loma by decision, he's the vet, been in way bigger fights with all the pressure and spotlight but Lopez won't make it easy and gives Loma a good go. If Lopez does win, it'll be early as Loma is a bit of a slow starter, usually figures out his opponents by 4th or 5th round and turns up pressure and volume of punches to overwhelm them.

Who you got?
Did you know, Lomachenko started boxing when he was four. When he was seven his father pulled him out of boxing and put him in traditional Ukrainian dance for four years. That’s why he’s considered to have some of the best footwork in all of boxing.

My mom side is of Ukrainian background. My grandparents were both born there. Definitely I think Lomachenko is going to win. I think this fight is going to go the distance, and he’ll win by decision. I am though considering Lomachenko KO in the 10th.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Did you know, Lomachenko started boxing when he was four. When he was seven his father pulled him out of boxing and put him in traditional Ukrainian dance for four years. That’s why he’s considered to have some of the best footwork in all of boxing.

My mom side is of Ukrainian background. My grandparents were both born there. Definitely I think Lomachenko is going to win. I think this fight is going to go the distance, and he’ll win by decision. I am though considering Lomachenko KO in the 10th.

Ya I've been watching him since he came in on the hype of his 396-1 amateur record. His dad was extremely smart for putting him in those classes, I equate it to a hockey parent putting their kid in figure skating classes.

He makes his footwork look so effortless, he can change angles/levels and you can see its bewildering for most of his opponents.
How can you train for that as his opponent when its such a rare skill set to find in a sparring partner?

Ya I can see a late KO by Loma as well. This reminds me of the Canelo-Mayweather fight in so many ways.
Loma isn't as good on technical defense as Mayweather but his IQ/footwork and mid fight pressure is just as good if not better than Mayweather. Its a different style of defense in the sense Loma stands in front of you and before you throw, he's changed his position/stance where Mayweather would just use Philly Shell or simply lean and weave. But Loma does get hit and he can be dropped so he needs to play it smart and not be too cocky/in your face imo.

Canelo is similar to Lopez in the power punching, young hungry lion aspect. Both were in their early 20s taking on a guy in their 30s. Mayweather won on smarts, defense and experience so that's a big reason I got Loma winning.

Keep an eye on Ryan Garcia, hoping he can challenge Loma before he gets too far into his 30s. There was an article in April of this year saying Garcia will fight him sooner than later but he may face Tank Davis first to nab his first title. Been watching his rise and he's a fun exciting fighter as well, 20-0 with 85% KO rate at just 22 years old.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Ya I've been watching him since he came in on the hype of his 396-1 amateur record. His dad was extremely smart for putting him in those classes, I equate it to a hockey parent putting their kid in figure skating classes.

He makes his footwork look so effortless, he can change angles/levels and you can see its bewildering for most of his opponents.
How can you train for that as his opponent when its such a rare skill set to find in a sparring partner?

Ya I can see a late KO by Loma as well. This reminds me of the Canelo-Mayweather fight in so many ways.
Loma isn't as good on technical defense as Mayweather but his IQ/footwork and mid fight pressure is just as good if not better than Mayweather. Its a different style of defense in the sense Loma stands in front of you and before you throw, he's changed his position/stance where Mayweather would just use Philly Shell or simply lean and weave. But Loma does get hit and he can be dropped so he needs to play it smart and not be too cocky/in your face imo.

Canelo is similar to Lopez in the power punching, young hungry lion aspect. Both were in their early 20s taking on a guy in their 30s. Mayweather won on smarts, defense and experience so that's a big reason I got Loma winning.

Keep an eye on Ryan Garcia, hoping he can challenge Loma before he gets too far into his 30s. There was an article in April of this year saying Garcia will fight him sooner than later but he may face Tank Davis first to nab his first title. Been watching his rise and he's a fun exciting fighter as well, 20-0 with 85% KO rate at just 22 years old.
I just got into boxing this June. I watched the whole top rank summer league, every Tuesday and Thursday June and July. I am now hooked!

Did not realize that the second last fight on the card before the main event features Edgar Berlanga, Super middleweight. 14-0, 14 KO’s all in the first round! I watched him fight this summer, and it was unbelievable. Can’t wait to watch him again.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I just got into boxing this June. I watched the whole top rank summer league, every Tuesday and Thursday June and July. I am now hooked!

Did not realize that the second last fight on the card before the main event features Edgar Berlanga, Super middleweight. 14-0, 14 KO’s all in the first round! I watched him fight this summer, and it was unbelievable. Can’t wait to watch him again.

Awesome! You came into boxing at the right time, where there's a ton of young and upcoming guys.

I have seen two of his fights. The Puerto Rican powerhouse, all 1st round KOs. Id like to see him get some top 10 round opponents soon, think he will benefit from longer fights and more skilled foes.
I'd love to see him fight Canelo one day. Theyve already hinted at it if Edgar can win his next couple fights.

Enjoy amigo! We'll talk recap after tonight.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Don't know if Loma's plan was to come out that slow, or the 14-month layoff caused that. Either way, it seemed like it was too little too late for him. I had the fight 7 rounds to 5 in favour of Lopez. Not sure what that judge was smoking who said the fight was 119 to 109 Lopez, that translates to 11 rounds to 1. Loma definitely won rounds 2, 8, 9, 10, 11. Props to Lopez for coming out like a gangbuster in the 12, didn't think he had that in him.

Oh well, I'm $150 lighter.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I've been frequent in the baseball forms lately, as playoffs are in full swing (pun intended) and the World Series starts tomorrow.
This topic was posted there are days ago, but didn't receive any responses. Just wondering what locals thoughts here are?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Don't know if Loma's plan was to come out that slow, or the 14-month layoff caused that. Either way, it seemed like it was too little too late for him. I had the fight 7 rounds to 5 in favour of Lopez. Not sure what that judge was smoking who said the fight was 119 to 109 Lopez, that translates to 11 rounds to 1. Loma definitely won rounds 2, 8, 9, 10, 11. Props to Lopez for coming out like a gangbuster in the 12, didn't think he had that in him.

Oh well, I'm $150 lighter.

He always waits too long imo. It usually works out for him but to wait out and hope your opponents power/gas tank will fade is a dangerous game to play.

I agree on that one scorecard, he at least won 3 or 4 rounds at minimum.
Felt he was gonna turn it on in round 5 and win 7-8 of the 12 rounds but Lopez did very well. Those uppercut were landing and he attacked the body well which after a 14 month layoff, may have also played a factor in Loma looking off/not fully engaged.

Age always catches up to us but feel Loma should go back down to 126 or 130lbs where he is more comfortable and suited to handle bigger guys.
10lbs in boxing is a massive power gap but don't feel Lopez landed any huge shots he did on his other opponents.

Doesn't look like a rematch is possible either in Lopez's POV. If he did want to shut down any doubters, he would do an immediate rematch but if I was him, keep clear of a pissed off and even more motivated Loma.

Berlanga is a beast but again, he needs better competition.

Reactions: Cold Cat

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Tua time!!!

0C103A17-33E7-43D0-9D25-4867B873492A.jpeg

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I'm all for Tua time as this year they are pretenders even at 3-3.
And Fitz was both magic and tragic in the same game.

But, dang, hope the O-line is ready for Donald in 2 weeks.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Is anyone else feeling an emptiness with baseball ending last night?
No basketball, baseball, or hockey. Only football this winter. And how fun can that be if you're a Chiefs fan and you know you're going to win the Superbowl again :D

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
@Ghoste , why did we just trade Kwon? What a weird year for our 9ers.
Injury after injury.
Playoffs look out of reach now.
I like JG but don't know if he will ever get us over the hump.
Honestly, when Deebo broke his foot in the offseason I was hoping that wasn’t an omen. And when Bosa went down for the season I gave up hope. And the injuries just continued to pile up after. Oh well, maybe next year.

Yeah, I’ve kinda moved on from Jimmy. I think he’s good. I just don’t think he is the one that can put the team on his back and win.

-ghoste

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Honestly, when Deebo broke his foot in the offseason I was hoping that wasn’t an omen. And when Bosa went down for the season I gave up hope. And the injuries just continued to pile up after. Oh well, maybe next year.

Yeah, I’ve kinda moved on from Jimmy. I think he’s good. I just don’t think he is the one that can put the team on his back and win.

-ghoste

Just saw the article about Kittle and JG out long term so now it makes sense.
Well, hopefully we can tank enough to get around a top 10 pick?
Maybe move up in the draft and pick our future QB?

Reactions: Ghoste

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Hopefully the picks Houston gets back for Harden/Westbrook bust.

And the Tillman loses money when he sells the team

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I think it okay to start talking about the Dolphins. They look legit.

And they’re still in a rebuild. They’re a year away from being a scary good, YOUNG team. Youngest team in the league, with superb coaching, who have four picks in the first two rounds of the draft, including a potential top 5, and cap space to add the finishing pieces.

It’s crazy. A year ago, you could say that the Panthers had the best future out the teams in South Florida, but with the Fins improving, Riles having the Heat on the verge, and the Marlins improving, the Cats are in the backseat again. The Fins are about to blow up the NFL scene!

Reactions: Drugs Delaney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad