OT: All Non-Hockey Sports Talk (2020-21 edition): MLB, NBA, NFL, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Everyone’s probably seen or heard about Danish star soccer player Erikson’s sudden collapse in the Euro 2020 opening match against Finland. I watched it of course out of interest and support for Finland, but it turned very surreal and scary at the 43rd minute with the collapse. Before team players surrounded him and blocked camera view, we could see the team doctor doing CPR on him for quite a while, and then his shirt was rolled up, applied the paddles and hit the defibrillator. His body arched several times… then there was no more view. Thank God and thank the medical crew who brought him back. Never seen anything quite like that….although the Jaybo incident was similar, he was just stabilized much faster on the bench and charted off.

Amazingly, they resumed play after a long delay, Finland scored on one of its two shots at the goal, versus something that felt like 20 for Denmark… and Suomi won 1-0. The Finnish goalie even stopped a penalty shot that would have made it 1-1. Unreal.

Finland 1-500 odds of winning. Maybe after this I should put $1000 on Finland….

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Everyone’s probably seen or heard about Danish star soccer player Erikson’s sudden collapse in the Euro 2020 opening match against Finland. I watched it of course out of interest and support for Finland, but it turned very surreal and scary at the 43rd minute with the collapse. Before team players surrounded him and blocked camera view, we could see the team doctor doing CPR on him for quite a while, and then his shirt was rolled up, applied the paddles and hit the defibrillator. His body arched several times… then there was no more view. Thank God and thank the medical crew who brought him back. Never seen anything quite like that….although the Jaybo incident was similar, he was just stabilized much faster on the bench and charted off.

Amazingly, they resumed play after a long delay, Finland scored on one of its two shots at the goal, versus something that felt like 20 for Denmark… and Suomi won 1-0. The Finnish goalie even stopped a penalty shot that would have made it 1-1. Unreal.

Finland 1-500 odds of winning. Maybe after this I should put $1000 on Finland….
It was truly shocking watching it unfold live, I was at a cabin yesterday and we had the sound low enough, that we couldn't hear what the announcers were saying (I watched it back now and they realised it right away). I noticed Erikson's legs start shaking from the CPR, my friends didn't want to believe me at first when I said they're reviving him.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Don't know where else to put this.

Just watched Italy against Austria at the European football championship. And it just proved to me again, how idiotic those video checks of offside sitiations are. I mean come on, do we want to be entertained and see goals or no? Do we want to see the game flow constantly interupted just to get everything 100% right?
Sports live because of those disagreements and hairline decisions. If we can allow ourselves to be not exact in any part of our lives, it is sports.

This counts for football as well as NHL hockey.

Btw for context: Austria would have been up 1-0 against the heavily favoured Italian team, but a goal was called back because the Austrian attacker was offside by the length of his big toe.

Thanks for letting me rant here a bit

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Just watched Italy against Austria at the European football championship. And it just proved to me again, how idiotic those video checks of offside sitiations are. I mean come on, do we want to be entertained and see goals or no? Do we want to see the game flow constantly interupted just to get everything 100% right?
Sports live because of those disagreements and hairline decisions. If we can allow ourselves to be not exact in any part of our lives, it is sports.

Btw for context: Austria would have been up 1-0 against the heavily favoured Italian team, but a goal was called back because the Austrian attacker was offside by the length of his big toe.

When you introduce gambling into the picture, the fun factor of the game decrease significantly when you have execs and their analytics minions have their magnifying glass over every unclear game event. This development is preferable from the league's point of view because it creates an additional revenue streams (plus jobs for some white collar workers) at the expense of quality of the actual product on the ice/field. Corporations always choose the short term gains over the long term benefits because their thinking (or more accurately, their PR message) is that they can invest those short-term gains for a better product but in reality it doesn't work that way since they just keep investing more on the short term gain projects. This shows up on the P&L sheets as investments into marketing instead of R&D and the purpose of the marketing campaigns is to present the product in a more favorable light (you know, lying) since the product isn't anymore capable of selling itself. The end result is that the entertainment/sport product turns into a stock market which is void of any human feelings or otherwise is just a complete mess.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

I was thinking the exact same thing when watching that game yesterday. I texted my French friend that I’m now officially off being interested in Euro 2020 or 2021 or whatever they now call it. I love the game, grew up playing it almost as much as hockey, but I’m totally disgusted with the video replays. They suck the life out of the game like you said.

Also, anything Italy does in the tournament is now with an asterisk — helped by the federation.

Reactions: austropanther

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
When you introduce gambling into the picture, the fun factor of the game decrease significantly when you have execs and their analytics minions have their magnifying glass over every unclear game event. This development is preferable from the league's point of view because it creates an additional revenue streams (plus jobs for some white collar workers) at the expense of quality of the actual product on the ice/field. Corporations always choose the short term gains over the long term benefits because their thinking (or more accurately, their PR message) is that they can invest those short-term gains for a better product but in reality it doesn't work that way since they just keep investing more on the short term gain projects. This shows up on the P&L sheets as investments into marketing instead of R&D and the purpose of the marketing campaigns is to present the product in a more favorable light (you know, lying) since the product isn't anymore capable of selling itself. The end result is that the entertainment/sport product turns into a stock market which is void of any human feelings or otherwise is just a complete mess.
Well said.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I watched the games Finland played, since we never made any tournaments when I still played and cared about the sport.

Ever since I stopped playing (16-ish years ago), I realised how boring professional football is as a spectator sport. Ball just being passed back and forth in the midfield and nothing happens. I went to see my niece play a couple weeks ago and I had more entertainment during those 80 minutes (they played 2 games with 20min halftime) than the three Finland games combined.

Still love to play it though at a beer league level.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I was thinking the exact same thing when watching that game yesterday. I texted my French friend that I’m now officially off being interested in Euro 2020 or 2021 or whatever they now call it. I love the game, grew up playing it almost as much as hockey, but I’m totally disgusted with the video replays. They suck the life out of the game like you said.

Also, anything Italy does in the tournament is now with an asterisk — helped by the federation.
I remember a Maradona interview when he was asked about his hand of god goal. The guy never admitted it was a foul play, but it is an art to dare things, dramatize and find the chinks in the system.

Do I think he is right? Absolutely not. But here is the thing: the truth should lay in between his opinion and dicecting every little play inch by inch. I mean nobody will be talking about any 5 cm offside call, yet over 30 years later football fans are talking about Maradona's goal. That's what makes sports history great, and they conpletely take this away.

I will also be routing for France now - since my wife is French, so I don't really have a choice... :sarcasm: They are fun to watch.

Reactions: KW

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I watched the games Finland played, since we never made any tournaments when I still played and cared about the sport.

Ever since I stopped playing (16-ish years ago), I realised how boring professional football is as a spectator sport. Ball just being passed back and forth in the midfield and nothing happens. I went to see my niece play a couple weeks ago and I had more entertainment during those 80 minutes (they played 2 games with 20min halftime) than the three Finland games combined.

Still love to play it though at a beer league level.
I'm with you, I am getting so frustrated and bored with it - although yesterday was fun.

When living in France, I got to watch some rugby and really thought this sport is more fun than football. The players are actually men, they look like men, they don't fake faint constantly and they respect the refs - just the complete opposite of football players.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Yeah, the business side of things is just nuts and even worse with football than hockey. I mean come on, we will have a world football championship in freakin' Qatar! They are building climatized stadiums so the players can play and not be exposed to temperatures over 40 degrees celsius. Only 3 millions people live there (we Austrians are more than them), and it will be impossible for fans to enjoy their time there.

The sport is not for fans anymore.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

There's a thread on these forms somewhere (I just can't find it right now) that talks about how bad offides are for All Sports. It is very interesting. A good read, I just wish I knew where it was located.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Goldie will be doing preseason games for the Fins. Hope he takes over the regular season games as well, it would be such an improvement.

A1D36FDB-D6EC-41DB-B13E-5F06D18C0C53.jpeg

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
What will happen if he gets the job calling regular season games and there's a conflict with a Panthers game?

I doubt it happens so quickly. Even if he does, it’s Sunday afternoon games for the most part. On top of that, wouldn’t it be radio in the regular season, since CBS has their own tv crews?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm with you, I am getting so frustrated and bored with it - although yesterday was fun.

When living in France, I got to watch some rugby and really thought this sport is more fun than football. The players are actually men, they look like men, they don't fake faint constantly and they respect the refs - just the complete opposite of football players.

Rugby is my favourite sport. My interest for football has waned. The reasons mentioned in this thread are a big reason why.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Rugby is my favourite sport. My interest for football has waned. The reasons mentioned in this thread are a big reason why.
If they broadcasted more and there was a bit of watching culture in Austria, it would be number 1 for me too. Still, football is the game that brings the people together also here, so you don't really have a choice

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Why? England did not win and never will, so everything is going acccording to plan
Why?
1) England made the final
2) The best teams met in QF and SF
3) Finland and England were the only teams to beat Denmark
4) France blew a 2-goal lead in last 10 min
5) I hate the video reviews and new rules

There’s more but I guess it’s overall a sense of disappointment. When I was a kid, my big dream was to be able to go to a WC final in person one day. I remember my first big stadium experience going to watch Tottenham, standing room only. I felt great. Now my football (soccer) interest has really waned largely because of the way the game has become and the incessant whining and acting that take away from real injuries, as well as the overall slow pace where absolutely nothing happens. So it’s a sadness that I just don’t love the game anymore.

The good news: more time for hockey!

Reactions: austropanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad