All good things must come to an end

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Hi everyone,

So this isn't something that's easy to do and it's something I've been thinking about for awhile now, not just in the past few weeks but maybe in the last few months, a little bit longer than that. As some of you may know from my time on here, in addition to running COTP + the @fla_prospects account, I'm also a full-time college student and I also have a job on the side where I work about 20-25 hrs per week.

I started COTP in my first year of college - where I'm somewhat surprisingly not majoring in journalism - as a hobby, and since then, it's been relatively easy to handle the workload while also running 2 Twitter accounts, a website, and keeping all 3 up to date with articles, GIFs, etc.

I've always enjoyed doing this...I have loved covering the team I love for the past 3+ years and I've had a lot of fun, but as I get deeper into my curriculum and closer to the things I need to focus more on to hopefully be successful in the future, especially since I'll be graduating in less than a year, both school and covering the team have taken their focus away from each other, so I've had to choose one or the other.

I admire anyone who works in journalism because it's time-consuming, there's no doubt about it, none of it is as easy as it may seem. Whenever I do something, I want it to be complete, be presentable, and look good, etc, so, in my opinion, it wouldn't be right to cover a game here and there, do an article once every few months, etc; I'd rather do it, or not do it at all. It wouldn't be fair to the people who rely on good coverage of the team.

So enough about my life, I just wanted to say that for now, I'm going to be putting COTP on hold, and I say 'on hold' because I do hope to eventually circle back around with some new ideas in terms of the site itself, but that's still a little bit down the road...hopefully if/when I get there, HFBoards and Twitter will still be here to tell everyone about it.

Matt DeFranks and Jameson Olive have done an unreal job - better than I could ever do - of covering the team ;) and I'll be following them along with you (as I have been since even before I started COTP). I'll still be around the forums just like I always have been, watching every game, interacting with everyone, and I'll be on Twitter at @brett_0, although I don't really tweet from there much, maybe I can throw some things out there every now and then.

Also, I would like to thank everyone for following and reading what I've had to say on the site and Twitter. Couldn't have made it 3 years without everyone liking, retweeting, bashing, complaining - and most importantly - caring about this team.

Edit: I'm going to be announcing this on Twitter soon as well so everyone on there knows too.

Last edited:

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
You have done a great job balancing your school, work, and hobby.

Thanks for all you've done and I will still follow you on Twitter for the occasional info - even if I don't always agree with you!

Hope you still post here on the GTD's

Best if luck in your future endeavors.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It's a shame for us as fans with the coverage you've brought about the team, but on a personal level that was the right choice. Trying to do too many things at the same time can catch up to you in the wrong way and sports at the end of the day is just entertainment.

Thank you for the prospect coverage over the years, someone has big boots to fill.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the sacrifice and countless hours of work put in B!
A little upset to hear this as I feel we will be heading into the greatest years this franchise has ever seen. @Optimus Reim will have to find his goal thread gifs elsewhere but I understand your decision and wish you all the best in the final year of schooling.

You're a Bjeast and we all thank you for the platform you built.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Smart move. If your are going to Grad School it's important to maintain your GPA and focus. Good luck and we expect you to continue to drop in to butt heads from time to time. Hopefully you'll bring some GIF's with you. :)

ps: Don't know what you are aiming for but wouldn't hurt to think about going to law school and becoming a sports agent. You're a natural and you've built some great connections. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: batting1k

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Congrats and thank you for a great three year run. You made being a Panthers fan better for a lot of people in this digital era. Good things will come with a work ethic like that. Best of luck in the future.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Always knew this day would come.. Knew your background as a student etc... As life gets busy its important to focus on the things that matter the most. Sometimes that means stepping back from some passions. Thank you for all your time these last few years. I look forward to seeing what you do next!

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
its amazing u were able to juggle school, a job, and still find time to be wrong about hockey ;) J/K dude. thx for all the good work u put in for the team.

Lmao

Smart move. If your are going to Grad School it's important to maintain your GPA and focus. Good luck and we expect you to continue to drop in to butt heads from time to time. Hopefully you'll bring some GIF's with you. :)

ps: Don't know what you are aiming for but wouldn't hurt to think about going to law school and becoming a sports agent. You're a natural and you've built some great connections. ;)

Computer science!

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Sorry to see it end. Your work has been invaluable in keeping track of prospects and just content during the season.Good luck in getting through that final push.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Computer science!
Well that's guaranteed to start you out at six figures. My nephew graduated from RIT with the same major and interned in the summers in Boston and is still with the same company 2 years later......although recruiters are constantly knocking on his door. Excellent choice. ;)

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
@batting1k I recently graduated and started full time work. A lot of evenings and weekends. I spent so many nights working just constantly refreshing the COTP Twitter page this year for updates.

Coverage will be greatly missed by me and many others.

Good luck with school :)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Thanks for everything @batting1k , you've definitely been one of the people that keep me coming around.

Even if you're not covering, poke in and BS with us as you're still obviously one of us!

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Ah shit.. There goes our last source of info. Who am I now gonna argue with? ;)

Thanks for everything!

Reactions: klabob

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I’ve really enjoyed your work and insider insight into the Panthers ops. Thanks for everything and good luck in the future! Most importantly: GO CATS!

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
All the best. Most of us knew Batting here before everyone else knew him on twitterverse as COTP. I felt the version of him here on HFboards was/is the best (breaking news, his in depth views on organization, his heated debates and takes, his teases).

What I will miss the most on Twitter about COTP is FLAProspects stuff. I know prospects well, but COTP took it to another level and had GIFS up right away of Major JR Canadian games. Brett really educated himself well there in a short time.

--With respect to the competition, I will not post all about it in this thread..but there will be plenty of Panthers coverage with COTP exit here. And , I'm not talking about the two names he mentioned above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad