Rumor: All Encompassing Jimmy Vesey Thread. All Rumors/News goes here. Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I would be absolutely shocked for Sullivan to play Vesey over Sheary if he were to sign here, seeing how the Penguins won the cup with Sheary playing a big role on the top line.

Thats where i see Pitt falling behind the Hawks, etc.
Jimmy just witnessed Sheary score big goals and likely sees some difficulty making the NHL Pens @ LW.
Not to mention Wilson was injured and they have Simon and Guentzel also available @ LW.
I suppose Sullivan and JR can sell him on him getting a fair shot with Kunitz leaving soon.
Thats if they even get a sit down.

If he doesn't have 1 team in mind already(ex. TOR), i can see him looking at 2 or 3 important things:

1) NHL playing time right away. Theres only a few spots that can 100% guarentee that.
2) Having a chance to put up decent #'s with that playing time to cash in on his 2nd contract. Here, there is 2 schools of thought. Play with established NHL stars OR get guarenteed ice time with an improving core(no real top notch stars on the roster) where he'll get plenty of ice time to get those pts.

Can LV get their hands on him in the expansion draft, or is he protected no matter what happens?

He's protected in this round of exp. atleast.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He can only talk to Buff up until 12am tomorrow.
Then he can talk to everyone + Buffalo.

Buffalo likely gets their last pitch in yesterday or today, then the teams fly in for sit downs with him Tues and Wed.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Can LV get their hands on him in the expansion draft, or is he protected no matter what happens?

If he wants to go for the Cup, his best chances among the teams on his list are the Hawks and Pens. The others aren't contending teams though.

Totally agree the Hawks and the Pens definitely make the most sense if he's looking at a cup winning team here.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
The six rumored teams on his list are;
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Chicago Blackhawks
New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers
Toronto Maple Leafs

Of those, I see the Rangers or the Blackhawks the likely winner.
He will go to a contending team, where he will get good minutes, but in a protected role, medium media spotlight, and long term commitment. Plus both teams have veterans who can mentor him and help him transition and develop.

I didn't know the Rangers were a contending team.

Contending for the playoffs, I guess. To put them and the Hawks on a similar level is ridiculous.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Strongest candidates are either Toronto or Boston.

I don't see Buffalo in the picture.

Every other team is just a guess.

Mad Brills*

What's his upside?

Is a 45 point winger a fair expectation at his peak?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Is Vesey automatically protected from expansion?

I'm a little blurry on the exemptions.

HawkeyFanatic

Dec 15, 2007
N/A
I can see the Hawks as a legit contender.

The big negative IMO would be the 2nd contract. Alot of Chicago's player get well paid on 2nd contracts (Saad, Shaw, Leddy, etc) - but it's not always with Chicago. If they do not have the cap space, they could trade him.

So would a player like Vesey that held out this long to control his own fate leave it up to the Hawks to trade him somewhere in 2 years?

That said, Chicago's cap issue aren't as big right now. Panarin's new contract, but alot of dead cap space opening up. Also potential of trading Kruger

Either way, I want this to end.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
No doubt 30 clubs covet him, but by now he has a list of some four or five teams for which he might wish to play. Representatives of those clubs will be invited to fly into Boston tomorrow or Wednesday — or, in the case of the Bruins brass, hop in a car — to meet with Vesey & Co. at an undisclosed location.

It’s like the reverse of the NHL scouting combine and entry draft. Instead of the players making the rounds to be interviewed by multiple clubs, the teams will come to him, and Vesey will be the one asking the questions as he tries to pick the team and the city that fit him best. The decision will probably be made by Wednesday night, and Bruins fans will have their fingers crossed that their team lands arguably the top free agent prize of this summer.

A veteran NHL amateur scout recently offered a remarkably complimentary analysis of the 6-foot-2, 195-pound Vesey: “I think he’s going to be a step-in player into the National Hockey league. Ultimately, he’ll be a top-six player, given a little time. It’s a big step from where he was to where he’s going. There’s going to be an adjustment for him, but I think he’s going to be a very good player. I think he’ll be a guy who can step into the NHL and play right away. Then, a month at a time, he’ll get better and better — and he’ll keep getting better year by year. By his third season he should be an excellent top-six forward.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...e_rest_of_nhl_await_decision_from_jimmy_vesey

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Strongest candidates are either Toronto or Boston.

I don't see Buffalo in the picture.

Every other team is just a guess.

Buffalo is still very much in the picture. He was always going to free agency, so the fact Buffalo has not signed him yet means absolutely nothing.

Will he sign with Buffalo? Who knows. Buffalo is just one of several teams with a good situation for him.

HockeyShack

Feb 18, 2005
Why is Anaheim not in on this?

That have a spot for him on Left Wing with Getzlaf and Perry or just with Getzlaf.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Why do people think a rookie wants to be on a contending team so bad? That's what a veteran with one or two years left in his career does.

If I'm a young player, I'm looking for a team with openings in the top-6. Contenders usually don't have that.

You don't want to be like Drouin was, stuck on the 4th line because the team is loaded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad