Proposal: All Bruins Trade Proposals V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Just noticed how interesting jeff carters contract is... hes owed only 2 mill real cash next 2 seasons.

LA is one of the few teams that could afford to take on the backes caphit too

I just said it makes no sense to make a big move but if LA retained 1/2 of carters contact it becomes a very enticing gamble.

Backes for carter 1/2 will require a first i think to get la to bite. But it qualifies as a rental upgrade for us. It doesnt kill us for the future

There were some rumblings carter might want to retire early... doesnt matter to me. We probably wouldnt want him all 3 years. Give him a chance to go out on a high note

As for backes... its nice in LA. and they seem to treat vets with respect. He can go be a leader for their rebuild.

On a plus side i think carter style fits well with both krejci and debrusk.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Just noticed how interesting jeff carters contract is... hes owed only 2 mill real cash next 2 seasons.

I just said it makes no sense to make a big move but if LA retained 1/2 of carters contact it becomes a very enticing gamble.

Backes for carter 1/2 will require a first i think to get la to bite. But it qualifies as a rental upgrade for us. It doesnt kill us for the future

There were some rumblings carter might want to retire early... doesnt matter to me. We probably wouldnt want him all 3 years. Give him a chance to go out on a high note

As for backes... its nice in LA. and they seem to treat vets with respect. He can go be a leader for their rebuild.

I don't know about Carter. He seems to be on the decline. He's had a great career, but I for one wouldn't be willing to give up this years first in a real deep draft for a maybe, even if they were willing to take on Backes and his contract.

I feel the Bruins are close, real close to being able to win it all and If I'm trading this years first its going to be for someone, that's there's no doubts about.

Reactions: Lo97 and bbfan419

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017

Real salary is basically pointless for the Bruins. His cap hit sucks and he's declining. Wouldn't constitute much of an upgrade, if at all, over Backes.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't know about Carter. He seems to be on the decline. He's had a great career, but I for one wouldn't be willing to give up this years first in a real deep draft for a maybe, even if they were willing to take on Backes and his contract.

I feel the Bruins are close, real close to being able to win it all and If I'm trading this years first its going to be for someone, that's there's no doubts about.

There just isnt alot of friendly contract options. What i like about carter is if we need to dump his cap next year... hes only 1 million to his new team. I think thats very tradable

So maybe he bounces back for us and becomes worth a 2.7 mill caphit... or we have a guy easy to trade... and retirement is an option if hes still struggling

Im looking for a chance to upgrade but at a price that doesnt hurt too bad

Moving backes MUST happen by start of next season... its not critical to do it now, but it will hurt whenever we pull trigger

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
There just isnt alot of friendly contract options. What i like about carter is if we need to dump his cap next year... hes only 1 million to his new team. I think thats very tradable

So maybe he bounces back for us and becomes worth a 2.7 mill caphit... or we have a guy easy to trade... and retirement is an option if hes still struggling

Im looking for a chance to upgrade but at a price that doesnt hurt too bad

Moving backes MUST happen by start of next season... its not critical to do it now, but it will hurt whenever we pull trigger

How about Backes and something besides this years first, maybe a second. I know its going to cost to move Backes and teams will want a first, but i wouldn't move this years first. I haven't seen carter enough this year to know if he still has anything left in the tank. I know his numbers aren't that great but that doesn't always tell the story.

Reactions: bbfan419

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
How about Backes and something besides this years first, maybe a second. I know its going to cost to move Backes and teams will want a first, but i wouldn't move this years first. I haven't seen carter enough this year to know if he still has anything left in the tank. I know his numbers aren't that great but that doesn't always tell the story.

yeah id start the talks as low as possible... heck, maybe they wanted a prospect we are ready to cut loose and we could keep our fresh draft picks?

realistically though... based on the price of marleau… I think getting rid of backes and getting back something we wanted at the same time is going to cost us. I dont want to take on ANY SALARY unless im 100% sure backes is out the door

I do anticipate some steep raises for our free agents next year

hayes probably didnt set the market for coyle… but did raise it some. and on the lower end colin white is there... so something in the 5.5 mill range would be a good price for us

krug is looking at the jake gardiner number on one side of things but hes a much better producer... and on the other side of things we have roman josi about to sign. if josi gets around 9 I think krug is going to end up around 6.5-7

debrusk? if he struggles his number goes down... but Collin white in Ottawa got almost 5 mill and a couple other guys with 1 60 point season have been getting 6 mill. something between 5-6 mill to get a long term deal looks needed here too.

thats probably 7 mill in raises for next year and we havent even gotten to grezlyck. we need to offload backes/miller/moore from the current payroll... replace with elc… save 8 mill... and basically end up where we were this year

bringing in any other money at all means accounting for it somehow. chara might take less or be gone... and Heinen could potentially get replaced by an elc… but its just so difficult to find other cost saving areas.

a lot of fans are now talking they want halak back... that probably will add cost too

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I know this will be unpopular, but given their defensive depth, I’d consider moving Carlo in a package for a legit, mid 20’s (age), 20-25 goal guy.

Just thinking about this on the fly, so I don’t have any real targets in mind, aside from maybe Hall, but I’d be more inclined to look for someone locked up longer.

Maybe a simple hockey trade between a team that has defense and needs scoring and a team that has scoring and needs defense.

Reactions: Scruffy

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
This Kuhlman/Ritchie/Backes crap really REALLY needs to stop. 2nd line RW has plagued this team for years and arguably cost them the Cup last year. We NEED to fix this damn problem and soon. Don't wait til the trade deadline when you're going to get bent over a barrel. FIX IT NOW!

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I know this will be unpopular, but given their defensive depth, I’d consider moving Carlo in a package for a legit, mid 20’s (age), 20-25 goal guy.

Just thinking about this on the fly, so I don’t have any real targets in mind, aside from maybe Hall, but I’d be more inclined to look for someone locked up longer.

Maybe a simple hockey trade between a team that has defense and needs scoring and a team that has scoring and needs defense.
The issue with this is that they don't have any great RHD. Clifton hasn't really moved the needle this year yet and Andersson is in the Q. Also I doubt there is any player in the system that can cover for Krug as well as he can in the defensive zone. Also I asked for his jersey for Christmas so I would be really upset if they traded him.

Reactions: Skelen and sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The issue with this is that they don't have any great RHD. Clifton hasn't really moved the needle this year yet and Andersson is in the Q. Also I doubt there is any player in the system that can cover for Krug as well as he can in the defensive zone. Also I asked for his jersey for Christmas so I would be really upset if they traded him.

Fair points.

Just coming at it from the perspective that you’ve got to give to get.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

The thought has crossed my mind from time to time as well, but then I think about just how important he is to the Bruins and what their defense would look like without him and its not pretty. Carlo is that good,and the drop off after him and McAvoy is steep although Grizz can play the right side extremely well, but he's under-sized and that worries me especially come playoff time.

I also like Clifton a lot, but having a tandem like McAvoy and Carlo playing your right side for the next decade is a great luxury to have.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I know I was ripped for this when I've brought it up the past few years, but....Dustin Brown. 22nd among RW's in ES Goals over the last 2 years and off to a good start to the year. Maybe you can deal Backes and get LA to retain a bit in order to compensate for actual money owed. Ship Backes + prospect(s) for Brown w/ some retention.

To BOS
Dustin Brown ($1.5 million retained)

TO LAK
David Backes
Peter Cehlarik / Jakub Zboril
Koko (rights)

Brown would be about a $4.3 million hit for 3 years.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Brown
Heinen - Coyle - Khulman
Nordstrom - Kuraly - Wagner

I still think it's too risky. He had FIVE straight seasons in the 27-36 point range. I don't know if he found the fountain of youth these past two years, but he turns 35 in two weeks and at $6m per for 3 more years he's still a very risky bet.

Reactions: Lo97

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I still think it's too risky. He had FIVE straight seasons in the 27-36 point range. I don't know if he found the fountain of youth these past two years, but he turns 35 in two weeks and at $6m per for 3 more years he's still a very risky bet.

Biggest change that stands out looking at his stats is a major increase in ice time. In his prime he was playing around 2o minutes per game and putting up around 60 points. Then his ice time dropped from the kind of minutes that the elite wingers get to regular second line minutes and his production went way down. Then they started giving him those 20 minutes again and his production came back.

The problem is, there's no way he gets 20 minutes here (and he's not good enough to get that on a contending team now). DeBrusk played 16:10 last year as Krejci's other wing.

I would be worried that we'd give Brown those second line minutes but only get maybe 30 points out of it. Not worth it

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Good right-shot D are at a premium in the NHL, and Boston has two of the best young ones in the game in McAvoy and Carlo. To me, they're as untouchable as, say, Pastrnak.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Biggest change that stands out looking at his stats is a major increase in ice time. In his prime he was playing around 2o minutes per game and putting up around 60 points. Then his ice time dropped from the kind of minutes that the elite wingers get to regular second line minutes and his production went way down. Then they started giving him those 20 minutes again and his production came back.

The problem is, there's no way he gets 20 minutes here (and he's not good enough to get that on a contending team now). DeBrusk played 16:10 last year as Krejci's other wing.

I would be worried that we'd give Brown those second line minutes but only get maybe 30 points out of it. Not worth it
Well, we don't know if the ice time dropped because of on-ice play/production OR if the ice time dropped first and then the drop in play/production followed.

Also, if he can't score like a 2nd liner playing 16 minutes then he's not just that good. We demand guys like Heinen to score playing 13. We expect Coyle to score playing 14. Even in the playoffs last year, Johansson was one of our best forwards and he only played 14 minutes a game.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Well, we don't know if the ice time dropped because of on-ice play/production OR if the ice time dropped first and then the drop in play/production followed.

Also, if he can't score like a 2nd liner playing 16 minutes then he's not just that good. We demand guys like Heinen to score playing 13. We expect Coyle to score playing 14. Even in the playoffs last year, Johansson was one of our best forwards and he only played 14 minutes a game.

if we're gonna dip into the kings, i would look at toffoli as a rental. right shot, finisher.
i haven't really seen LA this year but heard he's played well.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Good right-shot D are at a premium in the NHL, and Boston has two of the best young ones in the game in McAvoy and Carlo. To me, they're as untouchable as, say, Pastrnak.

What if Carlo + something could bring back someone with Pastrnak type production?

(I’m not even 100% sure of this idea, just playing Devils advocate)

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The thought has crossed my mind from time to time as well, but then I think about just how important he is to the Bruins and what their defense would look like without him and its not pretty. Carlo is that good,and the drop off after him and McAvoy is steep although Grizz can play the right side extremely well, but he's under-sized and that worries me especially come playoff time.

I also like Clifton a lot, but having a tandem like McAvoy and Carlo playing your right side for the next decade is a great luxury to have.

I guess the merits of this idea would be determined by a couple of things we don’t know.

1 How close does management feel Vaakainen, Lauzon are.

2. If they think they are ready, are they right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad