All Alfredsson Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Was going to post this in an Alfredsson discussion thread on the main board, but it has unfortunately degenerated into a bunch of Wings fans declaring their eternal supremacy over Ottawa.

]

Really hate that.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Guys i had an awsome idea, we all know that alfie is either expecting to be cheered or booed in ottawa.

how about we just ignore him. I think this would be the best way to get him, if he treated this franchise like just another team then lets treat him like just another player, just focus on the game and forget alfie is even in the building, that would get him so mad since he feels like he was so big in ottawa, he won't even get a reaction it would be so awsome

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Was going to post in an Alfredsson discussion thread on the main board, but it has unfortunately degenerated into a bunch of Wings fans declaring their eternal supremacy over Ottawa.

too soon I guess?

They are certainly superior in age and murder rate.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Guys i had an awsome idea, we all know that alfie is either expecting to be cheered or booed in ottawa.

how about we just ignore him. I think this would be the best way to get him, if he treated this franchise like just another team then lets treat him like just another player, just focus on the game and forget alfie is even in the building, that would get him so mad since he feels like he was so big in ottawa, he won't even get a reaction it would be so awsome

I have a feeling he really thought this decision would help our team move forward without him taking the next step. Whether we agree or not, i don't think we should be angry with him for it. (although i was when it happened, before i thought about it long and hard)
Our team should be just as good or better this year. I'm not convinced we'd have ryan here if alfie stuck around.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I feel bad for you guys, I really do..

I could only imagine how I'd have felt if Yzerman had done the same thing or Lidström or Datsyuk next year. And even then, it's not really the same thing, not same magnitude.

Well, guess it didn't take long to form up a rivalry.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Alfie interview

Alfie interview in swedish media. Translated it as good as I could.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article17096434.ab

"I Knew it was going to be loud reactions"
Alfredsson to Sportbladet about the controversial move

Some handed back their season tickets, others cried.
Daniel Alfredsson's decision to leave Ottawa after 17 seasons has stirred up emotions in the Canadian capital.
Just days after the confirmed transfer to Detroit star now tells Sportbladet about the controversial move.
- I knew it would be loud reactions, he says.

After 17 seasons in the Ottawa Senators, 13 of them as captain, and over 1100 points for the NHL club, on Friday the came the shocking news that he is leaving the Canadian capital to finish his career in the Swede-team Detroit.
His decision - which made the fans in Ottawa to cry and return their season tickets - is still a hot topic in the capital and the reactions are among the citizens are loud.
- There are many mixed feelings, Alfredsson says to Sportbladet.
- I knew it would be loud reactions because of this. But it's a decision I thought through carefully and I thought about it many times. I dont regret my decision, he continues.

"I know what I've done for Ottawa"

40-year-old Alfredsson has played for Ottawa during his entire time in North America. But the successful NHL career will end in rival Detroit.
- I know what I have done for the city, the club and the fans. And what they've done for me. They have been extremely important for my whole family, but how Ottawa fans will see me in 20 years time will tell, says "Alfie," which had six clubs to choose from when the contract with Ottawa went out and he was placed on the free agent- list.
In the end, it was between Boston and Detroit.
- I really like Boston. But the reason why it became Detroit was because I got a really good impression of them. And they had many left handed centers in the team. I think that as a right-handed player I will fit in better. I will probably get more chances to shoot and scoring opportunities next season.

Looking towards the Sochi Olympics

While Alfredsson gearing up for its 18th NHL season, he has already begun to think of the Sochi Olympics next year.
He wants to be a part of the "Tre Kronor".
- Of course, I would love to take a place in the Olympic team.
The chances of taking place must be good?

- I dont have a safe spot in the team at all. The first goal now is to get in shape and be ready for Detroit's training camp in September. I haven't talked at all to Mårts (Pär, coach of the Tre Kronor), but if I'm playing well and the body is in shape I can probably take a place in the team.

Even Jakob Silfverberg leaving Ottawa, what do you think about that trade?

- I think it is a great deal. Ottawa gets Bobby Ryan who could be really good if he continues to develop. He gets a more important role now. While it's sad that Silfverberg leaving,but he will also become a very good player.

Last edited:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I feel bad for you guys, I really do..

I could only imagine how I'd have felt if Yzerman had done the same thing or Lidström or Datsyuk next year. And even then, it's not really the same thing, not same magnitude.

The big difference is these guys had or (have) Stanley Cups under their belts. It's easier to stand pat and fluff up your legacy when you've won it all. It's not the same when you have a year or two left and you've just been blown the fu@#% up in your last playoff series and the status of your franchise 'D' is unknown (He'll play but when we will he be the dominant force that he was?) and your two top forwards are injury prone and...

sleepers

May 16, 2013
Stockholm
Wow.. just wow. All this hate.

You'll probably tell me I'm biased because of my nationality and that I can't see what happened with the same eyes as a long-time sens fan.. but really.

I can understand disappointment, anger and sorrow, but not hate. Maybe he's a bigger man than all of us by finally realising that constantly doing things for others (captiancy, charity events, low wage in comparison to other players for the franchise, leadership with so much negotiating) will only devour your soul until the day you die unless you set to make your own path and follow what you want.

Maybe he's pissed because he got low-balled, maybe he just doesn't believe in the team making the playoffs or aiming high enough overall - but in the end he's following his own will - which is to win that elusive cup. If he believes his chances are higher somewhere else then he shouldn't have to be embarrased or ashamed of his own will in front of all you people seeking to control his destiny.

You can feel whatever you feel and you're entitled to that. But don't boo and hate a man who had the strength to maybe 'finally' follow through with his own will. **** "it's more than a game". It's his life and I'm sure he didn't do it to anger or sadden anyone.

FightingIrish

Total Lak of Respek
Aug 30, 2010
Ottawa
Wow.. just wow. All this hate.

You'll probably tell me I'm biased because of my nationality and that I can't see what happened with the same eyes as a long-time sens fan.. but really.

I can understand disappointment, anger and sorrow, but not hate. Maybe he's a bigger man than all of us by finally realising that constantly doing things for others (captiancy, charity events, low wage in comparison to other players for the franchise, leadership with so much negotiating) will only devour your soul until the day you die unless you set to make your own path and follow what you want.

Maybe he's pissed because he got low-balled, maybe he just doesn't believe in the team making the playoffs or aiming high enough overall - but in the end he's following his own will - which is to win that elusive cup. If he believes his chances are higher somewhere else then he shouldn't have to be embarrased or ashamed of his own will in front of all you people seeking to control his destiny.

You can feel whatever you feel and you're entitled to that. But don't boo and hate a man who had the strength to maybe 'finally' follow through with his own will. **** "it's more than a game". It's his life and I'm sure he didn't do it to anger or sadden anyone.

I'll make sure to write that down in my diary.

Sensored

May 20, 2004
Ottawa
What's starting to bother me is that he hasn't even bothered to say goodbye to the fans. He's talked about us to the Swedish media and through the press conference in Detroit to introduce him. But he hasn't addressed us at all, no press conference with Ottawa media, no ad in the newspaper, really nothing at all.

I think that speaks volumes about Alfredsson, we saw him as an icon and the face of the city and thought that he'd be in Ottawa forever. In reality it seems he was a good person, good hockey player and good leader but didn't care about a legacy, being an icon or what fans thought of him.

I think we deserve some sort of awknowledgement of the magnitude of leaving Ottawa (some sniffling would be nice too).

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Alfredsson to me always seemed like a guy who never really understood how the comments he made and actions he took effected people off the ice.

Like he had no idea what the public perception of things might be. I don't think this makes him a bad person, but it certainly does make him look callous. Hopefully he comes to his senses and at least offers the smallest of consideration to the place he lived in for the past 17 years.

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
I've been watching Alfie since I was 11. Been through all the ups and downs. Even during the dark times when we were seriously contemplating trading Afie. All through his professional career he has been a heart and soul player - even signing constant sweetheart deals to allow our team an opportunity.

Although the way he left may be shocking, I hold no hate towards his decisions. He owes this city nothing, and had the balls to actually speak his mind and lay it out for us with brutal honesty. I appreciate what he has done for the team and will continue to support and follow him in Detroit (except when he's playing against us).

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The big difference is these guys had or (have) Stanley Cups under their belts. It's easier to stand pat and fluff up your legacy when you've won it all. It's not the same when you have a year or two left and you've just been blown the fu@#% up in your last playoff series and the status of your franchise 'D' is unknown (He'll play but when we will he be the dominant force that he was?) and your two top forwards are injury prone and...

Yeah, that's why I said it's not the same, not the same magnitude.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
mentioned how they got Zetterberg to talk to Alfy while Holland talked to JP.

If he was talking to JP that means they were negotiating a contract which was not allowed.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008

If he was talking to JP that means they were negotiating a contract which was not allowed.

JP New all of this **** was going on behind Murray's back, that's why he never responded to Murrays calls.

Guy's a ********* who wanted a bigger paycheck

John Holmes*

We should be awarded their first round pick next year.

#30 since they are going to win the Cup and all.

Milan the God*

You can't negotiate a contract in the 48 hour UFA window period?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Super six again tows the company line, and spews hate towards alfie .Cant say iam surprised:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad