Movies: Alien: Covenant (2017)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Wow this movie was terrible. Glad I put off watching it for so long, but I regret watching it at all.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Really though.. how bad was it. Most of the Alien movies were trash. The first one was solid and the second one was great. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th were all pretty meh. Alien vs. Predator 1 and 2 were meh.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Really though.. how bad was it. Most of the Alien movies were trash. The first one was solid and the second one was great. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th were all pretty meh. Alien vs. Predator 1 and 2 were meh.
Alien and Aliens are both great movies. 3 is a mess but has some redeeming parts to it. Resurrection sucks, as do both AvP movies. Alien: Covenant might be the worst in the entire series.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's not that bad, technically speaking. It's quite watchable. It's just insulting to the viewer on many occasions, so that you're liable to end up hating it in spite of it being watchable and technically not bad.

It's not the worse film in the franchise, IMO, since it's definitely better than Alien vs. Predator 2. Now that's a legitimately awful film, not just because it's dumb, but because it's directed and acted poorly, has poor cinematography and effects and on and on. At least Prometheus and Covenant have good direction, cinematography and acting. They just have mediocre writing.

Technically, I'd say that Covenant is better than Resurrection, but at least Resurrection can be a little enjoyable if you shut your brain off. Alien vs. Predator is the same way. Even though they're not good, if you don't take them too seriously, you can still find some enjoyment in them. With Covenant, you can't shut off your brain because you're encouraged to use it to understand what's going on, which makes the failures of the writing stand out even more.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Alien V Pred seemed more like a B movie cash grab and I think everyone understood that. Anytime you go beyond II in pretty much any series it's down hill. This one had higher expectations. For me I was hoping more follow up to Prometheus with the Engineers and the bridge between the original Alien. We get almost none of that as the Engineer story is wiped away almost immediately. They did a good job with the characters in Prometheus but I wasn't feeling any of them in this one. Keeping Shaw around would have been better than just the David twin show, Noomi did a fantastic job.

The problem with this final installment I don't know if I even care how it ended up. David creates a Queen, everything goes south. The end..

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Shaw had character development at least. Fake Ripley (I legitimately don't remember her name and I just watched it the other day) had none. No character other than David did either.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Alien and Aliens are both great movies. 3 is a mess but has some redeeming parts to it. Resurrection sucks, as do both AvP movies. Alien: Covenant might be the worst in the entire series.
The start of 3 was so god awful that I checked out immediately.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
3 is pretty good once you can come to terms with Hicks & Newt getting killed off, and the movie feeling uneven due to the apocalyptic behind the scenes politicking.

All of the characters are well written, acted and developed, mostly. Ripley has a proper send off, though she should have been left in the grave *cough* Resurrection. The world fits into to the existing universe quite well, and it all feels very lived in.

Resurrection is a mess, though it has its positives, mainly the unique and interesting set design, cinematography and pacing. Ryder, Pinon and Pearlman carry the movie, while Weaver mostly phones it in.

Both AvP's shouldn't even be considered canon, and should be smelted down.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Between the Alien and Predator franchises and their offspring, there have been exactly three good movies: Alien, classic horror/suspense movie; Aliens, great blockbuster shoot'em up; and Predator, passable Arnie vehicle.

All the rest range from bad to ball-smashingly awful.

Reactions: Blender

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Alien 3 and Predator 2 are similar in some ways. If you compare them too much to the films that came before them, it's hard to not get mad, shake your head and call them awful. If you can manage to take them on their own, though, they're watchable and can even be enjoyable, despite the flaws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad