Movies: Alien: Covenant (2017)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The fact that the crappy Prometheus made Engineers and questions around Engineers a major part of story and then this film simply wiped them out in a matter of seconds for no reason was a slap in face of people who watched the crap that was Prometheus and gave sequel a chance

Agree with this statement , I liked Prometheus once you get through some of the confusion of the story. Good characters at least with stunning visuals. Not to mention Shaw has a horrible send off in this one. Just hate this sequel all around. Horrible characters, decisions and so on to have a CGI Alien fest.

Fassbender was great in Prometheus but he's too heavily involved in this one. Overdone..

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I can accept, and I can admire Scott's commitment to creating something new with Prometheus, however, he Lucas'ed the f***ed out of it. He made things worse by caving to pressure from Fox to make it an outright Alien's movie, but decided to make it an artsy meta sequel to Bladerunner, while also making it a prequel to Alien.

The movie should be renamed:

Reton: A series of bad choices, and slapping your fanbase in the face.

Reactions: redbeardtx

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Finally got around to watching this movie. All around trash, but had me laughing quite a few times with how awful it was. My favorite part was when the woman was shooting at the baby alien point blank with a shotgun multiple times and kept missing, had me rolling. Huge slap in the face with the whole "David switcheroo" thing at the end. From the moment they switched, I kept thinking "this can't be the twist ending, it just can't. Way too obvious", but alas, I was wrong. I feel like it can't be THAT difficult to make an Alien movie worth a damn, but apparently it is.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Agree with this statement , I liked Prometheus once you get through some of the confusion of the story. Good characters at least with stunning visuals. Not to mention Shaw has a horrible send off in this one. Just hate this sequel all around. Horrible characters, decisions and so on to have a CGI Alien fest.

Fassbender was great in Prometheus but he's too heavily involved in this one. Overdone..

Shaws send off felt alot like Hicks and Newt in Alien 3.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Finally got around to watching this movie. All around trash, but had me laughing quite a few times with how awful it was. My favorite part was when the woman was shooting at the baby alien point blank with a shotgun multiple times and kept missing, had me rolling. Huge slap in the face with the whole "David switcheroo" thing at the end. From the moment they switched, I kept thinking "this can't be the twist ending, it just can't. Way too obvious", but alas, I was wrong. I feel like it can't be THAT difficult to make an Alien movie worth a damn, but apparently it is.
People need to stop bumping this thread and reminding me this movie was actually made. :laugh:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
People need to stop bumping this thread and reminding me this movie was actually made. :laugh:
It was a good movie though. Had some dumb / silly parts like just about every sci-fi horror movie but it was entertaining.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Then your standards are much lower than mine and I didn't mind Prometheus.

How you could consider that a good movie is beyond me.
Has nothing to do with standards and everything to do with opinion. We probably look at movies differently. Kind of basic human nature stuff here. lol.

There is nothing that says an opinion of a movie is right or wrong.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Has nothing to do with standards and everything to do with opinion. We probably look at movies differently. Kind of basic human nature stuff here. lol.

There is nothing that says an opinion of a movie is right or wrong.

I can see your point, but there are ways to judge a movie.

Plot, character development, flow, believebility, logic, etc... This movie failed in them all.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I can see your point, but there are ways to judge a movie.

Plot, character development, flow, believebility, logic, etc... This movie failed in them all.
Again... in your opinion.

To me sci-fi (especially sci-fi horror) doesn't have to have a great plot, lots of logic or even be believable. It's not The Martian where you watch it and think 'This could be possible.' (except for the ending of course.)

The characters were a little thin, story was great I thought - the writing and acting killed a lot of that atmosphere though. Overall though, I liked it and it thought it was good. It fed my need for a new Alien movie. I think they can do a lot better though.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I watched this last year with very little connection or even understanding of the Alien canon.

It felt like perfectly fine space/alien movie at points, but I was dying of laugther at points where that definitely wasn't the intention. Basically everything the soldiers and "scientists" do throughout the first half of the movie is laughably stupid. I was in hysterics as they were blowing up their own ship while trying to shoot the alien.

Reactions: redbeardtx

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
These may've been posted already, but I just had some good laughs.

Edit: Ah, Jussi posted the Covenant one. Oh well.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's not The Martian where you watch it and think 'This could be possible.' (except for the ending of course.)

The least scientifically plausible portion of The Martian is actually the dust storm at the beginning. The atmosphere on Mars is too thin to be meaningful.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Can't believe there are 20 pages to discuss this terrible movie :laugh:

To be fair, the thread got to 13 pages before anyone had seen it, so there have been only 7 pages of discussion of how terrible it is ;).

The least scientifically plausible portion of The Martian is actually the dust storm at the beginning. The atmosphere on Mars is too thin to be meaningful.

At least that's a scientific inaccuracy that can sort of be excused because it's so important for establishing the film. After all, how else do you engineer a disaster that causes the crew to assume that a colleague is dead and to take off from the surface in a panic? I can let that slide because it's crucial to the film. At least the astronauts all mostly act like you'd expect them to, making smart decisions that people of their intelligence and experience would make and a minimum of bad ones, not like the completely idiotic colonists in Covenant.

Reactions: Rebels57

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Characters in movies make mistakes and blunders all the time. Especially in horror films. It's really weird that for some reason people take so much exception to it in the Alien franchise. It's especially bizarre that when the same poster excuses bad science in a "hard sci fi" movies for the sake of plot advancement, but is unwilling to excuse flawed characters in a more fantasy-oriented sci-fi movie.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Characters in BAD movies make mistakes and blunders all the time. Especially in BAD horror films. It's really weird that for some reason people take so much exception to it in the Alien franchise. It's especially bizarre that when the same poster excuses bad science in a "hard sci fi" movies for the sake of plot advancement, but is unwilling to excuse flawed characters in a more fantasy-oriented sci-fi movie.

FTFY

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I disagree. There are plenty of tremendous movies in which the plot is advanced via the mistakes of characters. 28 Days Later's plot only exists because of a combination of dumb scientists and dumber activists (inspired by real life idiocy), and the characters make numerous blunders over the course of the film that bring them into further danger.

Perhaps the best example would be The Thing. The plot of The Thing only happens because they bring the dog back to their base, despite the fact the Norwegians were actively trying to shoot it. The paranoia that the creature sets forth is used to drive each character's actions, resulting in their lack of trust and the failure to work together to solve the crisis.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Characters in movies make mistakes and blunders all the time. Especially in horror films. It's really weird that for some reason people take so much exception to it in the Alien franchise.
This has always confused me. Can people not suspend their disbelief at least a little bit? Dumb decisions create cool moments/set pieces that would not be able to exist otherwise.

I don't think it's something that's contained to the Alien franchise, I just think it's a consistent nitpick for any movie that comes with expectations. To be fair though, I did mention the captain looking into the pod as one of my problems with Covenant lol. I think that one was a bit too much.

Reactions: Hivemind

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Perhaps the best example would be The Thing. The plot of The Thing only happens because they bring the dog back to their base, despite the fact the Norwegians were actively trying to shoot it. The paranoia that the creature sets forth is used to drive each character's actions, resulting in their lack of trust and the failure to work together to solve the crisis.

There was nothing wrong with actions of people in the Thing. They simply thought Norwegians had lost it likely as a result of cabin fever type scenario

There is no reason for them to think or believe that dog is a dangerous creature (An Alien). And by time they figure out what it is its too late to figure out who is real and who is imitation

It was not dumb or unreasonable decision on part of them. Unlike this trainwreck of a movie who's entire plotline is a serious of dumb and unreasonable decisions

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Characters in movies make mistakes and blunders all the time. Especially in horror films. It's really weird that for some reason people take so much exception to it in the Alien franchise. It's especially bizarre that when the same poster excuses bad science in a "hard sci fi" movies for the sake of plot advancement, but is unwilling to excuse flawed characters in a more fantasy-oriented sci-fi movie.

What's weird is that you're criticizing my opinion in the third person, by referring to me as "the same poster," when my post was literally immediately above yours.

Naturally, characters makes mistakes and blunders in movies all of the time. The point, which I think has been made pretty clear so far, is that 1) these characters are supposed to be some of the smartest, most experienced people around, and 2) their mistakes and blunders in the film are more egregious than we're used to in the franchise. In fact, we can probably add a third point, which is that the film is clearly trying to be more than just a "horror" film by introducing heaps of philosophy and literature to try to be a "deeper" experience than your run-of-the-mill sci-fi horror, which raises the bar on expectations for smartness.

Since we're comparing to The Martian, the Mark Watney character is very smart, but still makes a couple of disastrous mistakes that move the plot along. They're the kind of mistakes that even smart, educated people make, however, and you're liable to not catch that he made a mistake unless you're pretty smart and knowledgable, yourself. That's if the mistake is even shown, which I don't believe the ones in The Martian even are; Watney usually narrates what his mistake was after the fact.

If you happen to be suggesting that how the crew in The Thing reacts to the dog and how the colonists behave in Covenant are comparable, I couldn't disagree more. As Blackhawkswincup said, there's no reason to believe that there's something wrong with the dog. In fact, the film cleverly relies on our assumption that there's something off about the Norwegians. It's not until later in the film that we realize that that assumption was wrong. We've all seen the film so many times that it may now seem dumb to take the dog in, but it doesn't seem so dumb on first viewing, and even if you might've guessed that it would end up being a mistake because it's a horror film, the characters don't realize yet that they're in a horror film with extraterrestrial elements.

In contrast, we know that what the colonists do in Covenant is stupid before and while they're doing it. Go out on an alien world and sniff pollen without any environmental suits: stupid. Open a quarantine door that's keeping a deadly alien nicely contained: stupid. Shooting anywhere near your fuel tanks: stupid. You don't need to watch 30 more minutes of the film to realize how bad those decisions are, like you do with the dog in The Thing. You know that they're stupid immediately and it allows you to predict what's about to happen (ex. they're going to unknowingly bring an organism or pathogen back on board, the alien is going to escape because she opened the door and the colonists will be stranded because firing in the ship is liable to disable it), which helps to take the viewer out of the film.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Being the ships f***ing cartographer and getting lost WHILE having an array of drones making a nice 3D map for yah.

Stupid!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad