Alfredsson?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fantasy scenario, but still falls more on Babcock's usage than any player we sign(ed). Abdelkader was probably taking away more top six opportunity for a guy like Tatar last season than Alfie and the other guys we signed combined.

That's a valid point.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Alfie is a smart player but we alreayd knew that before he signed. I especially watched him very closely for many years. The problem seems to be his body. He tended to shy away from contact a bit and his stamina wasnt that great. I dont know, I wasnt really following last season closely and wasn't really watching him.

As for comparisson to Datsyuk, Alfie is very good at analyzing and slowing the game down. Prototypical of how swedes play hockey in general. He knows how to make opposition's tunnel vision work for him so he stops at the right place. Datsyuk is more up tempo guy who likes to be in the mix. Key difference is that Datsyuk has uncomprehendable level of skill that he can utilize very well in game situations. Datsyuk can take those very brief openings and pounce on it. So he sets up opposition to make those small mistake more so than Alfie. When Alfie sets up a play, it's usually for his teammate primarily. Datsyuk also isn't afraid to go to middle of the ice and face pressure. It's not to say Datsyuk is not a great passer. Dats just doesnt have to focus on more macro level play all the time. He can switch it up. It's just very hard to consistently create chances one way in NHL. Everyone knows what's up.

Alfie usually focuses on big picture primarily.. but his age probably has to do with some of that. I saw him many times when he was younger. He's not that a dominant player you notice when he comes onto the ice anymore.

But comparing Alfredsson to Datsyuk is not fair. Alfredsson has an elite level awarness on his own right.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Good signing, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think he fit very well with the roster and performed up to a standard high enough that you could recognize some of the old Daniel Alfredsson was still there.

crashman

Even at 41 or whatever Alfie is, he's easily one of the top 5 players on the team if he re-signs. I hope he decides to play another year in Detroit, it was a pleasure watching him last season.

Adam Schnepp

Jul 29, 2012
I want him re-signed. I'm all for getting some of the younger guys ice time in the NHL but Alfie is still an NHL caliber player in my mind. I think it all comes down to whether his body will cooperate.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Alfie or no alfie he can't play with Dats and Z when they are not in the lineup. And even if he played with one of them ffor 82 games, no way jurco scores 30 + last season.

If you are going to continue to make outlandish claims of jurco being better/out producing Alfie please provide statistical support.

Jurco had a lower shooting % than alfie, a worse plus minus, less shots/60 min, lower GF/60 while playing against weaker competition.

Oh and you ramble on about how alfie got the opportunity with better linemates. Would you like to see their respective QoTs? Your entire opinion is based off your own false perceptions

Alfie 29.3
Jurco 28.5

every stat out there will tell you that Alfie was the better player. It not even debatable really...

1 page of debate over whether or not the guy that was our LEADING SCORER last year is worth re-signing? LOL! WTF?!

With all due respect. Alfie might seem slower, or look older to you all. BUT HIS RESULTS WERE CLEAR! He was the best player (HM Nyquist) on an injured team that lost its superstars for half the season.

Pretty much we should be debating all the 3rd liners, not the first liner which we clearly want to resign. Its not even a question.

Cleary/miller/abdelkader etc etc can fight it out for who sits. Playing any of these guys over a healthy Alfie is LUDICROUS!

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
1 page of debate over whether or not the guy that was our LEADING SCORER last year is worth re-signing? LOL! WTF?!

With all due respect. Alfie might seem slower, or look older to you all. BUT HIS RESULTS WERE CLEAR! He was the best player (HM Nyquist) on an injured team that lost its superstars for half the season.

Pretty much we should be debating all the 3rd liners, not the first liner which we clearly want to resign. Its not even a question.

Cleary/miller/abdelkader etc etc can fight it out for who sits. Playing any of these guys over a healthy Alfie is LUDICROUS!

Totally agreed. If we weren't so set with Z, Datsyuk, and Kronwall as captains then Alfie would definitely deserve a letter. He's been a great addition to the team.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Alfie needs the rest of the wings roster to stay healthy so that he isn't needed to shoulder as large of a load as he did last season.... If the rest of the team can stay healthy, we could use Alfie more sparingly and he should be fine going into the playoffs. I'd definitely bring him back for another season.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I think he performed above fan expectations, but at a level appropriate for his salary. His speed, strength and Stamina are not what they were, but he was the smartest guy on the team not called Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

At a slightly reduced salary I'd have him back in a heartbeat as long as the back is functioning, as I think he doesn't impact on Tatar or nyquist or even jurco as all perform better with line mates other than those who suit him.

Zatta, Dats, Alfie
Nyquist, Weiss, Franzen (Weiss and zatta interchangeable)
Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco
Miller, Helm, Abdelkader

Cleary, Glendenning

Kronwall, Smith
Quincey, Dekeyser
Kindl, Ericsson
Lasshoff

(happy for Smith, Ericsson or Quincey to move up and down dependent form - As long as smith and Quincey are kept apart)

Ideally Marchenko, Oullett and Sproul to get a look over the season, and the same for the forwards in the minors...Obviously this could change if Mantha explodes, or Cleary or Weiss at still semi-disabled...but I'd be happy with this as a starting option

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm a bit surprised that it's almost August and he hasn't been signed yet. I doubt he's calling it quits, but it's been quiet on both sides.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm a bit surprised that it's almost August and he hasn't been signed yet. I doubt he's calling it quits, but it's been quiet on both sides.

Pretty sure I read somewhere, where he said he's not making a decision until the end of August.

Let me see if I can find that now.

Edit: here it is

Alfredsson, 41, will decide in late August whether to return for another season. Plagued by an aching back at points during the regular season and playoffs, Alfredsson will see whether he’s healthy enough to endure another season.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140724/SPORTS0103/307240007#ixzz38i93Cldn

Last edited:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Pretty sure I read somewhere, where he said he's not making a decision until the end of August.

Let me see if I can find that now.

Edit: here it is

He'll be back. Everyone's different of course, but it seems like more times than not when guys wait it out till the last second to see if they can give it another go... they return. It's just their competitive nature.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He'll be back. Everyone's different of course, but it seems like more times than not when guys wait it out till the last second to see if they can give it another go... they return. It's just their competitive nature.

Hopefully. Though we have no idea how his body feels, and seeing how his body reacts to him starting to put in the work to get ready for the long haul of another year will probably factor in heavily to his decision.

I'm all for it at this point. If he comes back I see no way Cleary is in the opening night line up. And that would make me a very happy Wings fan.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

I'm not sure he will. Late August to give an answer with, essentially, 2 weeks to go before Training Camp. But I think unless Alfredsson has been working hard for the last month, I believe he is done. While I would love to see him have a good year, since we haven't had a good "older" FA signing work out well for us since Rafalski.

I would still like to see less Veterans and more kids on the club and speed up this "retooling" period. If we have to live through early playoff exits, I would like to see them with more kids.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Third degree rumours out of a recent golf tournament that included an organizational source from the Red Wings indicate that Alfredsson is likely not in their plans. I can't validate it at all, though, but it's chatter nonetheless.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Third degree rumours out of a recent golf tournament that included an organizational source from the Red Wings indicate that Alfredsson is likely not in their plans. I can't validate it at all, though, but it's chatter nonetheless.

Could be possible if they don't feel that his back will hold up. Once Tatar and Dekeyser resign we will be at the 23 man roster limit I would be curious then what Holland would do just stay with that roster or maybe try and sign like Penner or Setoguchi on a short term deal or possibly hope and pray that Mantha makes the team.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

If even remotely true

Cleay > Alfie

Fire Holland and Babcock.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Alfie is just waiting how much of cap space we have left after re-signing Tatar and DeKeyser. Then they'll make the deal.

that signing pushes Jurco down and Cleary gets the hate again. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad