Alfredsson?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Safe to say he is retiring? I don't expect him to come back around December. Just doesn't seem like his style. I am guessing only being healthy enough to play half a season doesn't meet his criteria for being healthy.

The last words on him sound kinda positive. But yeah, I think we're talking early November or so at the latest if he's gonna play here. I give it a 30% chance.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Winging It In Motown ‏@wingingitmotown 48 s48 sekuntia sitten
If Alfie retires, he should sign a one-day contract with the Leafs first just to stick it to Sens fans one last time.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Winging It In Motown ‏@wingingitmotown 48 s48 sekuntia sitten
If Alfie retires, he should sign a one-day contract with the Leafs first just to stick it to Sens fans one last time.

Lol, like that would ever happen.

Alfredsson has too much class to actually do that.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
But does he have the wicked sense of humor to override class? It would be pretty damn hilarious.

But what purpose would it serve?

Us Sens fans treated him with nothing but respect. He was a god to some of us.

The only reason why he would do that is maybe to stick it to the Sens management.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
But what purpose would it serve?

Us Sens treated him with nothing but respect. He was a god to some of us.

The only reason why he would do that is maybe to stick it to the Sens management.
You're taking this too seriously. I don't think he'll do it or even necessarily that he should. I just think it would be hilarious.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm very appreciative of what Alfredsson gave us last year, but I'm also more than fine moving on with the pieces we have. Particularly the young players knocking on the door, and the depth that we have there.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Not denying that there's some truth in these words. Still, I'd (have) love(d) to see him suiting up one last time for us. Such a classy guy.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Like a lot people here, I love Alfie. With that said, though, it's too late honestly in my eyes. I wonder if he can truly keep up with our newly found speed.

I really did want to win a cup with him...

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I've said before that Alfie was always my favorite non wing player. Hate to see him go. Really a classy guy

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Like a lot people here, I love Alfie. With that said, though, it's too late honestly in my eyes. I wonder if he can truly keep up with our newly found speed.

Hate to say it, but even Zetterberg is lacking in foot speed, I'd wonder if the elder statesman that is Alfredsson would be able to keep up. Hope he retires in grace.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
It wouldn't sting as much if Mantha was healthy and playing. But having neither of them is tough.

That said, I don't want a 90% Alfie.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Nothing against Alfie but you've got to move on.

I really did want to win a cup with him...

Hate to say it, but even Zetterberg is lacking in foot speed, I'd wonder if the elder statesman that is Alfredsson would be able to keep up. Hope he retires in grace.

It wouldn't sting as much if Mantha was healthy and playing. But having neither of them is tough.

That said, I don't want a 90% Alfie.

Don't forget Alfredsson was Detroit's best scorer last year. If he will not join this year's Red Wings roster, missing out on any offensive UFA player (re-signing Cleary does not count, Mr Holland!) will become really painful. Jurco currently has trouble keeping up with last year's pace and injured junior-phenom Mantha will most certainly not be an immediate scoring threat in the NHL either. Detroit better find some guy like Pittsburgh did with Jussi Jokinen, if Alfredsson has to be ruled out completely!

Gruß,
BSHH

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Even if Alfredsson were to make a dramatic improvement soon, he wouldn't jump right into signing a contract, anyway. He'd likely resume practicing with the team and see how he feels with continuous daily practice. The first step would be Alfredsson deciding his body is ready to be put to the next test, and that hasn't happened yet.

"I haven't got that call," Holland said. "I've told him I'm prepared to be patient."
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11711282/detroit-red-wings-gm-rush-daniel-alfredsson-decision

The bolded caught my attention.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Surprised how many on here aren't pining for him. Our offense could use him pretty badly, IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Surprised how many on here aren't pining for him. Our offense could use him pretty badly, IMO.

If he could give us the same exact output as last year he would be signed and playing games for us.

"Bad back Alfie" might not be the same player as we saw last year. Our offense could use 13-14 Alfie badly. 14-15 Alfie may not be the same.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If he could give us the same exact output as last year he would be signed and playing games for us.

"Bad back Alfie" might not be the same player as we saw last year. Our offense could use 13-14 Alfie badly. 14-15 Alfie may not be the same.

I'd still prefer to take a chance in a couple months if he feels better. Worst case scenario is his back doesn't hold up and he goes on LTIR to finish the season. Best case scenario he's still a valuable, contributing part of the team.

And I don't think a healthy Alfie would have trouble keeping up with this team's speed, even at his age. He's never been a slow player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad