Value of: Alexis Lafreniere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
From the Leafs Id offer 1st + Robertson + 2024 2nd for Laf. I tthinkhe could really flourish in the Leafs top 6.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
1671555477483.png

1671555500099.png

Feb 19, 2018
Something around Podkolzin might be a deal that could be worked out. I know him and Panarin are tight and he could flourish there. Maybe add a Kuzmenko and some other pieces from the Rangers side at the deadline for a run.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Some fans think faceoffs don't matter though.
Yeah I think importance of winning draws can be questioned to some degree especially 5v5, but not on special teams. Possession is everything on the PP/PK. Most Ranger fans have thought about every iteration of a new PP1 unit, but you just cannot take any of the 5 current players off the unit:

-Fox - nothing to say, one of the top PP QB's in the game
Panarin - top 3 playmaker in hockey
Zibby - Top 5 RH shot from that LW spot, too dangerous, no way you can move him
Kreider - Best net front guy in the NHL
Trochek - Great on draws, any replacement needs to be at least as good

There is no where to put Caulfield on the NYR PP1. Trust me, if there was, one of our kids would have already gotten a shot there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How about Laf for Guhle?

The only thing that might make sense for both teams is Slafkovsky for Lafreniere. However, the Habs are going to have to wait to see how Slaf looks for the rest of this season and next at a min. Usually, you know what you got around age 20 or 21.

Maybe this is a trade we can do in 3 years time. Lots can happen from now till then though.

Yeah I think importance of winning draws can be questioned to some degree especially 5v5, but not on special teams. Possession is everything on the PP/PK. Most Ranger fans have thought about every iteration of a new PP1 unit, but you just cannot take any of the 5 current players off the unit:

There is no where to put Caulfield on the NYR PP1. Trust me, if there was, one of our kids would have already gotten a shot there.

Don't worry, Habs are not trading Caufield.

Reactions: bernmeister

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Caufield wouldn't be on the Rangers' 1st PP unit either. At even strength, Caufield has 6 more points in 2 fewer games. That difference isn't worth two 1st round picks in a deep draft.
You're comparing their even strength production in a way that is intentionally misleading. In reality, Caulfield is enormously more productive than Lafreniere at even strength. He has 15 ES goals to Lafreniere's 4 and is 3rd in the NHL in even-strength goals relative to TOI.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
ow about Laf for Guhle?
nope lol. we're not redoing drouin for sergachev. that dude was fired.
guhle on pace for 30 assists as a 20 y. o rookie with 0 PP time.
markov and subban didn't even do that as rookies.
he's as untouchable as it gets on the habs

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So Lafreniere is now in the Rangers top six and he is putting points up. Moving back into the the “why would the Rangers trade him territory”. Lafreniere getting legitimate minutes and looking good.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018

Pretty awesome line up to have for being 12th best on pp conversion in the league

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Pretty awesome line up to have for being 12th best on pp conversion in the league
Going cold/stale is real. Believe it or not NHL players are not robots lol Debate the points I made if you want to, I don't think there is much argument on any of the players

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Going cold/stale is real. Believe it or not NHL players are not robots lol Debate the points I made if you want to, I don't think there is much argument on any of the players
What is there to debate?

You have a top 3 playmaker, a top 5 RW, a top PP QB and the best net front guy in the NHL.

Currently 12th in overall PP numbers in the league. Caufield doesn't fit in based on the personell on the 1st pp unit in NY.

What is there to debate

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
What is there to debate?

You have a top 3 playmaker, a top 5 RW, a top PP QB and the best net front guy in the NHL.

Currently 12th in overall PP numbers in the league. Caufield doesn't fit in based on the personell on the 1st pp unit in NY.

What is there to debate
Again, I sense your sarcasm but this was the #2 PP in the NHL last season, just replace Ryan Strome with Trochek. Whole team hit a pretty bad cold patch(as human beings sometimes do). If you want to debate player for player and where Caulfield fits, go right ahead

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Again, I sense your sarcasm but this was the #2 PP in the NHL last season, just replace Ryan Strome with Trochek. Whole team hit a pretty bad cold patch(as human beings sometimes do). If you want to debate player for player and where Caulfield fits, go right ahead
You're reading to deeply in to it my dude.

I agree with you. Caufield doesn't slot in to it anywhere that makes sense.

While I believe your valuation of your top pp unit is a shade over stated; you're not wrong.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Laf -------33GP---5G---11A--16 PTS.
Caufield 32 GP--19 G--9A--28 PTS
One player is on pace for------ 12 G and 40 PTS
while the other is on pace for- 49 G and 72 PTS.
We are not interested in trading Caufield for Laf and 2 surprise packages.

And you don't have to be. And again, looking at total points is a waste of time, as Caufield wouldn't get any real PP time on the Rangers (just as Laf/Kakko/Chytil don't). It's not a knock on Caufield at all. He's playing better than Laf this season. I just don't think he's playing SO MUCH better at even strength (the only part that would matter) to justify throwing in multiple 1st round picks.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
You're comparing their even strength production in a way that is intentionally misleading. In reality, Caulfield is enormously more productive than Lafreniere at even strength. He has 15 ES goals to Lafreniere's 4 and is 3rd in the NHL in even-strength goals relative to TOI.

Not misleading at all, intentionally or otherwise. I'm looking at total ES production. You arbitrarily deciding that goals are the only part of production that really matters is what's misleading. Is Panarin a scrub because he has 4x as many assists as goals? And as for Caufield, I could easily raise points like, if we're considering goals to be THE most important stat, how should we evaluate the drastic jump in shooting percentage for Caufield in a relatively limited sample size?

Again, at even strength, Caufield has been six points better than Lafreniere this season. Since neither player is likely to be on the NY Rangers' #1 PP unit (which is the only unit that matters in NY because of deployment), that's not a big enough gap to justify throwing in multiple 1st round picks--even if you were to acknowledge that the gap was sustainable (over their last ten games, both players have 5 ES points, and that's with Caufield getting ~3 and a half more minutes per game, which, in terms of minutes, means that Caufield played 12.5 "Lafreniere" games in that 10 game span).

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Something we couldn't do with Laf.:popcorn:

So both teams have the player that works out best for their current situation. Sounds like everyone should be happy. And they would be, if only Montreal fans would stop posting trade proposals for a player they seemingly don't like, don't need, and don't want. You don't see Rangers fans starting these proposals.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not misleading at all, intentionally or otherwise. I'm looking at total ES production. You arbitrarily deciding that goals are the only part of production that really matters is what's misleading. Is Panarin a scrub because he has 4x as many assists as goals? And as for Caufield, I could easily raise points like, if we're considering goals to be THE most important stat, how should we evaluate the drastic jump in shooting percentage for Caufield in a relatively limited sample size?

Again, at even strength, Caufield has been six points better than Lafreniere this season. Since neither player is likely to be on the NY Rangers' #1 PP unit (which is the only unit that matters in NY because of deployment), that's not a big enough gap to justify throwing in multiple 1st round picks--even if you were to acknowledge that the gap was sustainable (over their last ten games, both players have 5 ES points, and that's with Caufield getting ~3 and a half more minutes per game, which, in terms of minutes, means that Caufield played 12.5 "Lafreniere" games in that 10 game span).
Ya but Laf wouldn't be on the Habs top PP either.
So we would still be trading a player who is almost twice as productive points wise and will triple the amount of goals Laf scores.
It will take a lot added to Laf to get Caufield. Most would refuse the offer. Well keep the soon to be 40 goal scorer over a 10-15 goal scorer.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
So Lafreniere is now in the Rangers top six and he is putting points up. Moving back into the the “why would the Rangers trade him territory”. Lafreniere getting legitimate minutes and looking good.
Quietly approaching 96-97 Daigle territory

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Everyone reading this is aware you agree with me and essentially all other hockey fans that in most cases goals are a far more important indication of offensive impact than total points. You are pretending not to in order to advance an argument that depends on this not being true.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
So both teams have the player that works out best for their current situation. Sounds like everyone should be happy. And they would be, if only Montreal fans would stop posting trade proposals for a player they seemingly don't like, don't need, and don't want. You don't see Rangers fans starting these proposals.
Ranger fan started this thread.:popcorn:
So Maybe a Ranger fan shouldn't start a thread asking us what's he worth. That way maybe we wouldn't answer the question we were asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad