Player Discussion Alexis Lafrenière

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I am surprised his WAR % is close to Stutuzle. Seems weird.

He needs to improve his skating, be stapled on the first line and kick Strome out of pp1 and I think he will be the best player from this draft. I refuse to believe EVERYONE was wrong on him.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

He needs to improve his skating, be stapled on the first line and kick Strome out of pp1 and I think he will be the best player from this draft. I refuse to believe EVERYONE was wrong on him.
Idk how it is this year but I remember last year his numbers were hard carried by power play and he was atrocious defensively

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
But Whiskey Yer The Devil is telling me on the main boards that his Shooting % is unsustainable and that Stutzle "is in another league"...

I'm not sure that guy actually has a favorite NHL team, as I've never seen him do anything beyond flitting from thread to thread shitting on Rangers players.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I'm not sure that guy actually has a favorite NHL team, as I've never seen him do anything beyond flitting from thread to thread shitting on Rangers players.
He’s a devils fan. Idk I kinda respect him because I think he’s a bigger Fox fan than anyone on this board. He’s not a homer, just an analytics dude maybe with a bias against the rangers. He actively says that Fox has a far better hockey IQ Lidstrom which I don’t think many around here would even say

He hates Laf though

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Timbo’s defense is much better this year.

not surprising to see those cards are close considering the biggest difference between their production comes on the PP
I see a case for both.

Lafreniere should be on the PP more and is hurt a lot statically by not being there.

I also think he looks terrible on the powerplay (which could be lack of time) and it's alarming that he couldn't assist somebody if he worked in the flooring section at Home Depot.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive.

Reactions: artoor13

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

It's been obvious since early last season that both he and Kakko need to be handed the keys to the car and told to go get 'em. They both need top 6 minutes consistently and one of the two of them needs to be on the power play.

This botching of development is the biggest reason Quinn was fired and if Gallant isn't careful he's heading down the same road.

Reactions: mottosays

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I see a case for both.

Lafreniere should be on the PP more and is hurt a lot statically by not being there.

I also think he looks terrible on the powerplay (which could be lack of time) and it's alarming that he couldn't assist somebody if he worked in the flooring section at Home Depot.

Maybe some PP time would get his passing juices going.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I see a case for both.

Most of his PPTOI was from early his first year right? Idk if it would improve now or not.

his teammates sh% was horrendous too. Chytil and bricksforhands can’t pot anything. He should stick with Kreider and Zib for now and Kakko should go back to that Panarin-Strome line.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

It's not that weird.

Stutzle quarterbacks Ottawa's powerplay. He picks up a point every time the PP scores like Fox and Panarin do.

Lafreniere has more even strength points in fewer minutes both years they've been active.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

He was always a fan of Fox and even said that he would be a superstar at the NHL level when almost no one else thought his ceiling was NEAR that high. He seems alright.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Personally I don’t care about stats with Lafreniere right now. There’s ways to make them look good or bad. I care about what I see on the ice. Is he generating chances? Not many. Does he make others better? Not really. Is he displaying high level skill? Not really. Is he a great skater? Not really. A little above average maybe. I think what he has is a very good shot, swagger, and some bite and chippiness to his game. Quality mid-six support player type qualities. Unfortunately I don’t see elite talent. I don’t see a player who will drive a line. I don’t see the #1 overall talent he was billed as. I hope I am wrong, and plenty of time to be proven wrong. I just won’t pretend I’m seeing something different just because of his junior numbers or draft pedigree. Prove me wrong Laffy. Please. I’m still very much rooting for you.

Last edited:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Personally I don’t care about stats with Lafreniere right now. There’s ways to make them look good or bad. I care about what I see on the ice. Is he generating chances? Not many. Does he make others better? Not really. Is he displaying high level skill? Not really. Is he a great skater? Not really. A little above average maybe. I think what he has is a very good shot, swagger, and some bite and chippiness to his game. Quality mid-six support player type qualities. Unfortunately I don’t see elite talent. I don’t see a player who will drive a line. I don’t see the #1 overall talent he was billed as. I hope I am wrong, and plenty of time to be proven wrong. I just won’t pretend I’m seeing something different just because of his junior numbers or draft pedigree. Prove me wrong Laffy. Please. I’m still very much rooting for you.

He's looked good since being paired with Mika and Kreider. Just keep him there.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI and bbny

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
He's looked good since being paired with Mika and Kreider. Just keep him there.

He's looked ok and for a couple of the games while playing with them. We've seen him play well for a stretch of a few games before and then he would fade away as soon as he wasn't scoring anymore. Would like to see some consistency. And until he spends an entire off season dedicated to fixing his skating, he won't improve much. How the team hasn't stapled a skating coach to him from June-August already is beyond me.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
@Amazing Kreiderman @nyr2k2

Do you guys remember what type of center got the best out of kakko pre NHL? And whom the current NHL comparison(s) would be?

*Stoned, wrong thread
He played with Oula Palve who later signed with the Penguins but never did anything. He was a guy who liked to carry the puck a lot and dictate possession. I don't remember much else as he was fairly unremarkable as a player although I just Googled him and apparently the big knocks were his skating and strength. He was the playmaker and Kakko was the finisher.

Reactions: Rongomania

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
He played with Oula Palve who later signed with the Penguins but never did anything. He was a guy who liked to carry the puck a lot and dictate possession. I don't remember much else as he was fairly unremarkable as a player although I just Googled him and apparently the big knocks were his skating and strength. He was the playmaker and Kakko was the finisher.

Probably why Kakko does well with Panarin and Strome.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Kk himself said he ‘adjusted’ to playing with Panarin and Strome, simplified his game, got them the puck and made himself available around the net and went for tips and rebounds. Sounds to me more like Kakko read his predraft hype and might have actually adjusted his game coming to NA and playing with Panarin and Strome forced him to revert back to what made him successful overseas. That then bread confidence, allowed him to play his game which then opened up the ice for him.

Hopefully Laf stays with CK and Mika, and KK goes back to Panarin and Strome, though I feel like Gallant hates Laf on his off wing for some reason, and also he didn’t like KK with Strome and Panarin, even though he’s clearly looked his best there. I’ve given Gallant the benefit of the doubt for every move but he’d lose me if he did that.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
FK7tYe6XMAADoqM

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

?? Whiskey is actually a good and unbiased poster...and one of Adam Fox's biggest supporters.

You are thinking of that NJ Devlols kid

Hopefully he's wrong on Laf though

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
He should probably go over to the KHL and score a few points in a small sample of games so people think he's great again

We can get those fancy "Laf now has posted the most points by a 20 year old Canadian drafted in the 1st round in KHL history' graphics

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009

Serious question. People seem to reference Kakko playing great with Panarin and Strome a good amount but what games are exactly being referenced? I remember he struggled at first with them and had maybe a good game or two. But he wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire. Any numbers that back that up?

I feel like people are overhyping Kakko with that line but I haven’t looked at the stats and data closely. Could use some help there.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
?? Whiskey is actually a good and unbiased poster...and one of Adam Fox's biggest supporters.

You are thinking of that NJ Devlols kid

Hopefully he's wrong on Laf though

No, I'm thinking of the same guy. I just mainly see him in Laf threads, I guess (and he seems to actively seek out Laf threads, which have nothing to do with the Devils, for the sole purposes of shitting on Laf. He doesn't engage with anyone who doesn't just pile on to his bile about the kid). He might be a great poster in other contexts, but in Laf threads, he acts like a Jersey-typical troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad