Player Discussion Alexis Lafrenière: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
That play stood out to me as well. He really forced the D back and looked confident and assertive in doing so. Very happy to see that.

That was Forsling who is probably Florida's fastest defensemen and one of the fastest in the league at the moment. It's a good piece of evidence that Lafreniere isn't actually slow. He's not super explosive, but he's a very good skater with above average speed.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
That was Forsling who is probably Florida's fastest defensemen and one of the fastest in the league at the moment. It's a good piece of evidence that Lafreniere isn't actually slow. He's not super explosive, but he's a very good skater with above average speed.
Everyone wants explosive like Kreider, mackinnon or mcdavid

but players slower then them can look just as fast in the right situations

laf was never going to blow you away with speed but he’s an above average skater and it’s closer to a plus skater in my opinion

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
With mid-tier rental costs! Now you and I can get on the same page.

upload_2022-2-2_10-28-36.jpeg

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He looks more engaged. He fits on a top scoring line.

Hasnt been exactly pretty - but he's on pace for 18. Has a shot at 20 if he can get a couple multi goal games. That would be a good boost for him going into next year.

I see he is trying to shoot more, which is good.

Still needs to get that bunny hop out of his stride...

Defensively he's been more than good with a lot of effort plays out there.

He's building offensively, though i'd really really really like to see some more playmaking ability with the puck.

In-Zone primary assists (not off the rush, and they dont even have to be converted for goals) are the most important thing I am looking for with him. I believe once we start seeing more of those his game will take off.

For that to happen he will need to find more space and confidence for himself with the puck and have a greater understanding of the pace of the game, which has been better but still has to improve a lot. He needs to find the right combination of skating, stickhandling and timing. He's got the hands part, the other two need to come along.

Reactions: duhmetreE

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Via Staple on The athletic:

“I see him learning, coming to understand the kind of player he needs to be to be effective at the NHLlevel,” said Kreider, who disrupted a Panthers outlet pass and the puck caromed to Lafreniere, who snuck one past Spencer Knight. “He’s got unbelievable vision, great hands, high hockey IQ. I don’t think he’s confident enough in his shot. A very strong skater in terms of his edges, I think he’s only going to get faster. He’s already very strong for a 20-year-old kid, he doesn’t trust his strength enough. He’s going through the process. There’s just dramatic improvement, it’s really great to see.”

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

“I see him learning, coming to understand the kind of player he needs to be to be effective at the NHLlevel,” said Kreider, who disrupted a Panthers outlet pass and the puck caromed to Lafreniere, who snuck one past Spencer Knight. “He’s got unbelievable vision, great hands, high hockey IQ. I don’t think he’s confident enough in his shot. A very strong skater in terms of his edges, I think he’s only going to get faster. He’s already very strong for a 20-year-old kid, he doesn’t trust his strength enough. He’s going through the process. There’s just dramatic improvement, it’s really great to see.”

There's Kreider going on about the "process" again. He is not wrong. :)

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

I’d have to agree with Chris’s assessment. He needs to trust his shot more and not worry that, if he chooses to take two steps to the inside and rifle one at the net, instead of take 8 steps down the perimeter and try to get it to CK or Zib, no one is going to fault him. His shot is a weapon. He’s showing that when he plays with talented players he can keep up and his IQ gets him to the right places. He needs to trust his shot and play like he belongs there, rather than is privileged to have the chance. I really want Turk to just leave him there and let him grow. You can see confidence blooming. Laf, to me, is much closer to breaking through than KK even though KK has a nice mature game and good tools. Give Laf 20 straight games with Zib and CK. He’ll take off and not look back, because he has the swagger to run with that momentum.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I’d have to agree with Chris’s assessment. He needs to trust his shot more and not worry that, if he chooses to take two steps to the inside and rifle one at the net, instead of take 8 steps down the perimeter and try to get it to CK or Zib, no one is going to fault him. His shot is a weapon. He’s showing that when he plays with talented players he can keep up and his IQ gets him to the right places. He needs to trust his shot and play like he belongs there, rather than is privileged to have the chance. I really want Turk to just leave him there and let him grow. You can see confidence blooming. Laf, to me, is much closer to breaking through than KK even though KK has a nice mature game and good tools. Give Laf 20 straight games with Zib and CK. He’ll take off and not look back, because he has the swagger to run with that momentum.

I agree.

Whats encouraging with Laf is he has carried over his flair for scoring big important goals. And if you want to say that a majority of his 21 have been opportunistic and not really showing off his skillset - I would agree - however its just as important that he is getting the greasy ones and putting himself in good areas to get tap ins or "easy" goals. Thats what goal scorers do.

He can definitely shoot more and use it as a weapon 1 on 1, and if he begins to have success with that then defenders will back off him a bit to allow him some room to playmake

Reactions: bhamill

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Oh. Tap in goals are only good when you get 30+ of them. Noted. So a month ago Kreider wasn't scoring effectively. These are some weird criteria.
For me, tap-ins are because you got to a good position, got open, and someone made a good pass like the one Laf scored off the Blais setup was a sick pass. I can see how easy it is to not get excited from a repertoire of tap-ins. They are in that "oh I could score that goal. what is so special?" category of the fan-mindset. Or if not myself "Dryden Hunt could have score all those goals" which I think short changes Laf's positioning. If you look at this 2021 goals, there are a lot of skilled goals too. But to ignore the fact that they are all tap-ins is also a bit short sighted. Why haven't we seen any of the skilled goals from last season. It begs the question, is he getting better? Maybe it's just a bit of the sophmore slump? How many dangerous scoring opportunities did he botch? Like most things, it's a complicated issue that one data set can never fully answer. From the eyeball test, I want to see Laf more engaged, skating better, making plays, and using his body more. The body thing was something he was known for in juniors. More of that Laf-Kakko goal from last year! He had some sick setups for Zib and Buch last year too.

Reactions: bhamill

RonaldNeptune

Nov 13, 2017
He looks more engaged. He fits on a top scoring line.

Hasnt been exactly pretty - but he's on pace for 18. Has a shot at 20 if he can get a couple multi goal games. That would be a good boost for him going into next year.

I see he is trying to shoot more, which is good.

Still needs to get that bunny hop out of his stride...

Defensively he's been more than good with a lot of effort plays out there.

He's building offensively, though i'd really really really like to see some more playmaking ability with the puck.

In-Zone primary assists (not off the rush, and they dont even have to be converted for goals) are the most important thing I am looking for with him. I believe once we start seeing more of those his game will take off.

For that to happen he will need to find more space and confidence for himself with the puck and have a greater understanding of the pace of the game, which has been better but still has to improve a lot. He needs to find the right combination of skating, stickhandling and timing. He's got the hands part, the other two need to come along.

i thought it was laf who fed trouba a lay up inside the hash marks that quick made a great save on. I thought the same thing though I just want to see that vision and play making ability creep into his game and I think we’re going to see it more as the game slows down for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce