Alexei Cherepanov's pre-draft interview

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Cherepanov does actually seem to be a very intelligent kid. As for the translation, Russian is a richer and more expressive language than is English, and if anything, I did not do Cherepanov justice by having to compress what he said into English.
It's hard to judge with a translation, but Cherepanov sounds so much more mature than Ovechkin and Malkin in interview. He seems VERY smart.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I was being sarcastic, but now that the Rangers picked him, I take back the sarcasm. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, that's a huge steal for them at 17. I can't believe some of the players that were chosen before him, absolute lunacy.

I was also about to smash my television screen listening to the idiotic rambling of Doug McLean and his anti-Russian agenda. Yeah, its all Nikolai Zherdev's fault the BJs haven't made the playoffs in their ten years of existance. Couldn't have anything to do with you being a ****ty GM. :shakehead

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I was also about to smash my television screen listening to the idiotic rambling of Doug McLean and his anti-Russian agenda. Yeah, its all Nikolai Zherdev's fault the BJs haven't made the playoffs in their ten years of existance. Couldn't have anything to do with you being a ****ty GM. :shakehead

Thank you. MacLean was a complete tool, just a dreadful listen all night.

Wash

Sep 3, 2006
Thank you. MacLean was a complete tool, just a dreadful listen all night.

I wasn't going to say anything but while we're on the topic of annoying commentators, Pierre Maguire drove me up the wall. I'm new to TSN announcers so while I enjoyed Bob McKenzie's in particular, Maguire's rants about Cherepanov were stupid. Not to mention the other commentators basically knew he was going to go off and set him up appropriately. :shakehead

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I just hope we don't do something stupid like package him with a bunch of picks to rent Thornton next season before the deadline...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I wasn't going to say anything but while we're on the topic of annoying commentators, Pierre Maguire drove me up the wall. I'm new to TSN announcers so while I enjoyed Bob McKenzie's in particular, Maguire's rants about Cherepanov were stupid. Not to mention the other commentators basically knew he was going to go off and set him up appropriately. :shakehead

That's McGuire. Subtlety is not a part of his arsenal. He does that every draft. There's a player he latches onto that he makes a crime when that player is not selected. Truth be told, he has been right, most notably in the case of Zach Parise.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Actually McGuire wasn't bad at all this year. He actually held his composure unlike when Parise fell in 2003, although TSN definitely limited his minutes this year. I thought that was a mistake because out of all the analysts, McGuire is usually one of the most knowledgable about the draft eligible prospects and always has insights that nobody else has. He also wasn't attached to the hip of Cherepanov (like he is with Phaneuf and Parise), he only really started talking about him when it was also clear to all the other analysts that Cherepanov was easily the best player left on the board. This is coming from someone that usually loathes Pierre McGuire, especially during actual games.

Being a Flyers fan, it is very relieving to me that Doug McLean is ridiculously high on Kyle Turris, as I really doubt in any of his talent evaluation skills. James Duthie also left much to be desired on several occasions, especially when he brought out Kyle Turris' lunchbox. You could tell Turris didn't appreciate it at all. Its the biggest moment of his life to date, I don't see a need to attempt to embarass him on national television.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
What he said about playing bad at a cople of games in an international tournament, and then have his position in the rankings drop a ton is so true. That doesn't generally happen to North American players.
As far as I can tell Cherepanov was the best player in this years draft, considering the opposition he was up against in the RSL. Absolute steal by the Rangers.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Unconscionable!! This is absolutely unconscionable by every GM in the National Hockey League!!! I can't believe the unconscionableness of the unconscionablity that's transpiring before my eyes!!!

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Unconscionable!! This is absolutely unconscionable by every GM in the National Hockey League!!! I can't believe the unconscionableness of the unconscionablity that's transpiring before my eyes!!!

hahaha.. touche..

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Actually McGuire wasn't bad at all this year. He actually held his composure unlike when Parise fell in 2003, although TSN definitely limited his minutes this year. I thought that was a mistake because out of all the analysts, McGuire is usually one of the most knowledgable about the draft eligible prospects and always has insights that nobody else has. He also wasn't attached to the hip of Cherepanov (like he is with Phaneuf and Parise), he only really started talking about him when it was also clear to all the other analysts that Cherepanov was easily the best player left on the board. This is coming from someone that usually loathes Pierre McGuire, especially during actual games.

Being a Flyers fan, it is very relieving to me that Doug McLean is ridiculously high on Kyle Turris, as I really doubt in any of his talent evaluation skills. James Duthie also left much to be desired on several occasions, especially when he brought out Kyle Turris' lunchbox. You could tell Turris didn't appreciate it at all. Its the biggest moment of his life to date, I don't see a need to attempt to embarass him on national television.

Agreed on all counts, especially earlier with Maclean, I hope this is his last year on TSN I can see why he was such a terrible GM now.

Duthie is usually better and I guess I can see why they tried to joke it up a bit in the interviews, last year was kinda boring with the same questions to every pick and GM, but he was one step away from showing off baby pictures this year.

Wash

Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, that's about the only time I've heard that word in my life. Is it even a word? ;) I really don't have anything to compare him against so I'll take the general public's word that he wasn't as bad this year. I didn't really find Maclean annoying, but I didn't really think he offered all that much to the broadcast. If he weren't back, I wouldn't really miss him. Guys like McGuire might be opinionated but at least they offer that opinion and some personality. Maclean just seemed like an extra body sitting at the bench. I actually found Duthie funny from time to time but yeah the lunchbox thing was a bit overboard. Poor Turris, he's such a good kid too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad