Alexei Cherepanov's pre-draft interview

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Q: - Yet among the players from Europe you are ranked first, but are outside the top five in the overall rankings. How can this fact be explained?
A: - The North American rankings are comprised of hockey players, who play in North America. There is nothing surprising about these players being ranked first, because they are constantly watched. They are all in sight. Impressions about European players are sometimes formed based on one tournament, which scouts attend. If some guy suddenly has a bad game for one reason or another, then his chances of the top spots in the draft decrease. Such an approach is wrong in my opinion – players must be watched throughout the course of an entire season.

If he can't make a NHL, he can be RedLine scout some day :sarcasm:

Last edited:

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa

I think he was being sarcastic.

Most of what's scaring people away from Cherepanov is the fact that he's under Russian hockey right now and when or if the NHL team that drafts him can pull him out of the super league, the kid himself is not the problem, as shown by this interview.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
"Who of the Russians is planning on attending the draft ceremony?
-Its quite possible that only Bashkirov and I will be there..."

Yeah, they care...

Bryzga lol*

"Who of the Russians is planning on attending the draft ceremony?
-Its quite possible that only Bashkirov and I will be there..."

Yeah, they care...

Or maybe it's too far and expensive to fly to find out if you'll been drafted in 4th or 5th round??? Unless you're projected to go in the first rounds there's no point going to risk getting your heart broken. The only other one who should be there along with those 3 is Mayorov, and he very well could be there.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Wow, anyone else impressed with the poise he shows in this interview? I know you don't see him converse, but his answers sound welll thought out. This kid is going to be the steal of the draft.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
I think he was being sarcastic.
Could be, i know there was that possibility by i still needed to laugh at the quote, not necessarily at the author.
If that was supposed to be sarcastic, generating a sarcastic laugh was
good no? however i see my impressive post was soon deleted by HF very effective censorship..
..so here i have a new reason for this.. :lol:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Right. I'm not doubting that. It's the vocabulary that is subjective.

Cherepanov does actually seem to be a very intelligent kid. As for the translation, Russian is a richer and more expressive language than is English, and if anything, I did not do Cherepanov justice by having to compress what he said into English.

shelley1142

Fire Howson!
Mar 18, 2006
Sarasota, Fl
Yeah, one of the sports writers in Columbus wrote that the Jackets have no interest in the kid because he apparently has a similar personality to Zherdev. He sounded really mature and dedicated in that interview, however, which is more than could ever be said of Z.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->