Rumor: Alexandre Carrier to Boston

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
why wouldnt nashville keep him. home grown and 27. only 4 dmen signed beyond this year. does it mess up the internal cap?
Our entire rhd needs to be tore down. Carrier is good but we just need to start that thing all over again tbh. Barrie sucks defensively, fabbro cant get out of the doghouse, schenn is schenn but he isnt going anywhere, carrier is the best but he has value.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He'll be on the other side of 30 by the time the Preds are likely to be competing again.
If that’s the case, Preds should dump everyone for picks. But tanking with a roster that includes Josi, Forsberg, Saros and ROR is not going to allow them to actually… you know… successfully tank.

So not sure your GM will see it the same way you do.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If it's a prospect for Carrier who are we talking about Boston fans?

I have no idea and the rumor surprises me unless it's in the context of another deal with another team that is shaking up the LD group or a larger deal with Nashville around DeBrusk+ for Carrier+.

You could certainly see Boston being interested in Lauzon or Novak in a larger deal.

If it's just Boston going after Carrier, it doesn't make a lot of sense unless they are making other moves that change up the structure of the D. As it stands right now, Boston needs to do salary in/salary out in a stand alone Carrier deal. After "other moves" who knows. It's just super hard to talk about this deal without understanding what it is related to.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If that’s the case, Preds should dump everyone for picks. But tanking with a roster that includes Josi, Forsberg, Saros and ROR is not going to allow them to actually… you know… successfully tank.

So not sure your GM will see it the same way you do.
We still need to ice a team, we're not going to Buffalo or Edmonton it.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I have no idea and the rumor surprises me unless it's in the context of another deal with another team that is shaking up the LD group or a larger deal with Nashville around DeBrusk+ for Carrier+.

You could certainly see Boston being interested in Lauzon or Novak in a larger deal.

If it's just Boston going after Carrier, it doesn't make a lot of sense unless they are making other moves that change up the structure of the D. As it stands right now, Boston needs to do salary in/salary out in a stand alone Carrier deal. After "other moves" who knows. It's just super hard to talk about this deal without understanding what it is related to.
Well how bad is the salary going back if Carrier is coming in? Is there an easy answer? Prospect pool isn't super strong when I look at Boston. There are some pieces for sure, but I imagine those aren't pieces fans will want to part with. If Carrier and Novak are going out that's a solid package from Nashville and the 2 best pieces to get this year outside of Saros. I would hope the return would be strong and would be mildly shocked if Novak gets moved.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well how bad is the salary going back if Carrier is coming in? Is there an easy answer? Prospect pool isn't super strong when I look at Boston. There are some pieces for sure, but I imagine those aren't pieces fans will want to part with. If Carrier and Novak are going out that's a solid package from Nashville and the 2 best pieces to get this year outside of Saros. I would hope the return would be strong and would be mildly shocked if Novak gets moved.

Its dollar in dollar out from Boston's POV. So Gryz (3.7) or Forbort (3) are pending UFAs that maybe you could view as a "dump". Anyone else has legit value (like DeBrusk) and they don't have any multi-year dumps. But from Boston's POV those are starting players in the lineup. But like Gryz and Carrier are in a similar caliber of defensemen. Would be weird for Boston to value Carrier and "dump" Gryz. Dumping Forbort and not Gryz means they are adding another sub 6' D to the group and that seems to go against all those other moves they have been doing buying into "size in the post season matters".

It's just confusing by itself. Shoot maybe Nashville moves Saros for a huge return and runs a platoon with Ullmark (at much less of a cost) and Askarov for a little bit to ease Askarov in? I dunno.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Its dollar in dollar out from Boston's POV. So Gryz (3.7) or Forbort (3) are pending UFAs that maybe you could view as a "dump". Anyone else has legit value (like DeBrusk) and they don't have any multi-year dumps. But from Boston's POV those are starting players in the lineup. But like Gryz and Carrier are in a similar caliber of defensemen. Would be weird for Boston to value Carrier and "dump" Gryz. Dumping Forbort and not Gryz means they are adding another sub 6' D to the group and that seems to go against all those other moves they have been doing buying into "size in the post season matters".

It's just confusing by itself. Shoot maybe Nashville moves Saros for a huge return and runs a platoon with Ullmark (at much less of a cost) and Askarov for a little bit to ease Askarov in? I dunno.
Ah, I see. Yeah deal does seem strange based on that. I guess we could offer a max retention for Carrier on his pro-rated 2.5m salary. He won't be much. We have 1 retention spot left, but as a UFA it would be plausible they use it to make it work if there are no other offers and they are set on moving him.

Reactions: wintersej

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s familiar with the general concepts of the system they play, so Sweeney knows he’d fit in well. It’s not as strict as Cassidy’s but same basic concepts and expectations for their dmen.

The changes Montgomery made, were more tweaking how their forwards play within the same system, to open things up more, but in the d-zone, little has changed. Still the same basics, only a few teams play.

So it would make some sense in that regard. Especially since some Dmen just can’t adjust to playing less 1 on 1, types of systems. Just look how horrible Nurse and Bouchard looked early this season, as the Oilers tried changing to a similar system.

As good as Orlov looked offensively in Boston, he had a tough time not over committing and leaving his lane (after the trade) last year too. All it takes is one dman not being true to the system, and the whole thing can breakdown. It’s why only teams with very structured type of dmen can play it. For example, Carolina could never play it. Obviously neither could Edmonton.

So it’s tough, when you’re looking for dmen who’d fit. That’s why this does make some sense.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad